Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 05:07

Plan: Vegeterian
Stats: 245/238/135 Female 5 foot 4 inch
BF:
Progress:
Question Need food suggestions please

Hi, I am a ....well, I forgot the technical term but I am a vegeterian that eats SOME fish and dairy. Pesco-lacto-something... Anyway, I became one about three years ago. Prior to that I remember trying Atkins and it worked (unfortunetly I screwed it up ) so I am considering starting a low carb diet now. I am very big on veggies and some fruits. I started swimming laps 30mins a day to an hour and walking also. It's helped and I feel it working but I want to step it up. Can you suggest any low carb vegeterian foods? I don't like tofu but do eat some veggie patties and veggie links. Other than that I like my veggies. Thanks!

PS. So far I cut down my dairy intake since I was trying a low fat approach but I also cut down to one slice of bread per day *WHICH IS ALOT FOR ME! I love carbs . I am trying my best here!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 10:32

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Cutting out fat isn't a good idea...especially with you being a vegetarian. Fat isn't what makes you fat or keeps you fat. That is caused by the carbs. When you cut carbs...something has to go up...like your protein and fat.

As for vegetarian eats, I love grilled portabella mushrooms basted in olive oil, baked squash with parm and butter, almond meal pancakes...stuff like that.

Do you eat eggs?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 13:28

Plan: Vegeterian
Stats: 245/238/135 Female 5 foot 4 inch
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla

Do you eat eggs?

Yes I do. I'm not big on them-have to be in the mood or they made me sick. I have no idea why. I'm trying to increase my protein since I am working out alot.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 20:41

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

I recommend eating greens, especially the leafy ones. A high proportion of the calories comes from protein, and there is some fat too. In fact, bok choy offers 74% from protein and 17% from fat, leaving only 9% from carbohydrates. Also two cups of bok choy is 40 calories, and offers the same amount of calcium as a 150 cal glass of whole milk. Actually there are tons of reasons to eat leafy greens.

Also consider the pulses. Many of them have a third of calories from protein, and are low glycemic.

Among the fruits, consider the berries, and honeydew melons and cantaloupes.

And seeds and nuts, which offer mainly fat with some protein. Some of the fats are omega 3s.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 14:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/269/175 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 7%

Make a nice hot artichoke dip and eat it with celery sticks. Mmmm. Or some warm veggie casseroles. Most of them can be adapted to low carb really easily, I think.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat a vegetable diet with the addition of dairy products (lacto) and/or eggs (ovo). This, in common parlance, is the style of eating most often meant in America when people refer to "vegetarian." Lacto-ovo food choices, in other words, do contain some foods of animal origin, but no foods composed of the animal's actual flesh, or products thereof (for instance, if rice was cooked in chicken stock, it would not be acceptable to your typical lacto-ovo vegetarian).
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 19:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

You might try finding a good protein powder which you could add to shakes to bump up your protein. Since you eat some dairy, a micro-ionized whey protein powder like Isopure or something similar will ensure that you're getting adequate protein. And I agree...don't try to cut fat AND carbs...there's no need to do that. You have to give your body SOMETHING to digest.