Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:30

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Flax O Meal Pizza Crust Mix

Hi, All! I purchased this mix today, and didn't read the package real well. There really are not instructions for how to cook less than the whole package, which makes 2 pizzas. Normally, I know how to divide up a recipe or a mix, but with the yeast in a separate package, I am a little leary to make less than the whole mix and get the yeast divided up properly. And since it is so freakin' expensive, I don't want to waste it....

Here are four things I thought I could do...I would love to hear which one you guys think will turn out the best.

1. Prepare the dough as directed and freeze it in individual portions (for a personal pizza) BEFORE allowing it to rise. Then when I defrosted it, I would allow it to rise.

2. Prepare the dough as directed and freeze it in individual portions (for a personal pizza) AFTER allowing it to rise. Then when I defrosted it, I would not have to allow it to rise.

3. Prepare the dough and actually make two whole pizza crusts. Cut them into individual pieces and freeze the crust BEFORE adding the toppings.

4. Prepare the dough and actually make two whole pizza crusts. Add toppings and cook as instructed. Cut them into individual pieces and freeze it as a ready-to-go-meal. (I am a little hesitant to have this much pizza ready to eat in the house since I am the only one who does LC, but it might be convenient.)

Look forward to any comments or other suggestions!

Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 04:30
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by achio4444

Here are four things I thought I could do...I would love to hear which one you guys think will turn out the best.

1. Prepare the dough as directed and freeze it in individual portions (for a personal pizza) BEFORE allowing it to rise. Then when I defrosted it, I would allow it to rise.

2. Prepare the dough as directed and freeze it in individual portions (for a personal pizza) AFTER allowing it to rise. Then when I defrosted it, I would not have to allow it to rise.

3. Prepare the dough and actually make two whole pizza crusts. Cut them into individual pieces and freeze the crust BEFORE adding the toppings.

4. Prepare the dough and actually make two whole pizza crusts. Add toppings and cook as instructed. Cut them into individual pieces and freeze it as a ready-to-go-meal. (I am a little hesitant to have this much pizza ready to eat in the house since I am the only one who does LC, but it might be convenient.)

Look forward to any comments or other suggestions!

Amy

Of the four options you suggested, I think 4. sounds like your best bet. However, my suggestions would be:
5. Throw it away unopened.
6. Take it back to where you bought it and see if you can get your money back.
7. Donate it to a food bank (if you believe that God hates poor people)

I bought a package of that stuff to make a pizza for my birthday. It was one of the worst things I've eaten in a long time. Worse yet, since I was working part-time and had almost no money, I didn't feel good about throwing it out.

Of course, this reply is almost three months after your original post, so you've probably already tried it yourself. I feel your pain.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 10:41
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I completely agree with Dean4Prez. Holy buckets, this stuff was rough. The SO and I tried this out, and of course, since we didn't want the pizza to go to waste, finished it completely over the course of a week.

He had some pretty rough aftereffects from this product. I just didn't care for the taste.

I really haven't decided if their spices were off or what it was, but really, I don't know one person yet who prefers to use this for their crust.

Low carb tortillas work great for a quick thin pizza crust!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm really enjoying the Pizza Quiche (look in Recipes / Main Dishes for the recipe.
My non-LC wife enjoys it too. I'd much rather have that than the Flax-O-Meal crust.