Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-04, 19:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 305/250/210 Male 75 inches
BF:leaner
Progress: 58%
Default loose skin and body building

I want to pose a question to some of the guys in here that have been lifting for a while either pre or post weight gain. I am an x collegiate Football player - I played at 275 about 13 years ago. Shortly after I lost all my weight and maintained a healthy 225 for 10 years and then WHAM! I balooned up to 301 and I am now down to 267.
Questions - I am scared about having loose skin as I am now 34 years old and losing about 4 or 5 lbs a week. Did any of you NOT have loose skin aftwe losing around 75 lbs? Will working out be the trick to fill in the loose skin?

Dan (the 55 year old) seems to not have had the skin issues - is this the case? Dan? Anyone else?

I hope I will not, but staying at an unhealthy 285 to 300 for the past two years on top of my age and the new strech marks on my tummy have me freaking out a bit.

thanks guys!

Scratch
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 08:54

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

I cannot give personal experience on this, as I never had 75 pounds to lose (more like 40). But in my experience as a trainer, I have seen people lose over 100 pounds and not have the loose skin issues.

Lifting weights will definitely help with helping avoid it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 305/250/210 Male 75 inches
BF:leaner
Progress: 58%

I agree as I was also a personal trainer 11 years ago but I also always had younger, fitter clientele. Now that I am soon to be 35, I am a bit more worried that I will have the skin issue. Thanks for the response - it does seem to be a crap shoot in a way.

There was a guy on here named Jarrod who lost about 100 or more lbs but I cannot find him - I do not think he had the issue nor did Dan (the 55 year old Bodybuilder). I guess I am just looking for some reassurance from someone like that - It seems that most of the poeple who have the issue are more likely to have been non-athletes and more "fatty" than others who do not have issues (i.e., athletes or x-athletes who have gained and lost). I am down to 266 as of this morning but hate seeing that fat deposits on the side of my chest and lower ab section - arghh!

Feel free to chime in!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 11:50
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Lose skin can depend upon how your skin reacts to being stretched....

I've seen men with very little loose skin and others with a lot. It takes some time for the skin to bounce back... drink that water and keep lifting weights.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:

On the whole if you have lose skin or not depends on some peculiarities of your organizm and your overall health, I suppose, because some people have this problem and others not. Just try to do all you can to support your skin: drink water, take some vitamins and supplements to make it more elastic and do some exsercise.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 08:20

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I have lost 68 pounds of fat and gained about 10-12 pounds of muscle. Luckily no problems with loose skin.
Pop into my gallery for some photo's
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...00&ppuser=45794

Jag