Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's
Stats: 170/135/120 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Low carb and lovely

I would love to speak to anyone who has had nothing but amazing results while on the Carbohydrate Addict's diet. Kept the weight off? Good food?
i need some inspiration.

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Jun-07-04 at 12:11. Reason: Removal of email address
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/148/130 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:unknown
Progress: 64%
Default I Think I FInally Got It Right;

Hi I'm feeling kind of hippocritical, not that I'm trying to be, but I've posted on alot of the other boards. I am feeling my way thru the lc maze trying to figure what feels right to my body. I have tried the other low carb plans and it has really never felt right. I did Atkins For The Longest Time, and Protein Power, and even tried Paleo. I even tried sticking to mostly vegetarian options for the protein. I can't eat that much soy, and wheat gluten is a killer, and the zone is too complicated.So I got out my book on Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and really read it. This feels right to me, I can even imagine eating this way forever. I tried it before I understood how you are supposed to go about eating your reward meal, there is alot of misinformation out there.I didn't balance it so of course my insulin went into over drive. I've been doing this for a week and am doing quite well. I haven't been craving carbs this week, but last night I ate dessert with no guilt, and fathers day we took DH to a buffet and I ate Cheese cake with no guilt. Now I know if I get an overwhelming urge for rice or potatoes I can have them as long as I balance it with protein and salad. That gives me a free feeling, because I have lost the guilt. Just thought I would share that with you, Judy
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 14:09
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I answered all but one qusetion with a yes, so I guess I'm definately (or was) adicted to carbs. I have found that I almost follw CAD without actually knowing anything about it...I often cut back on fat or eat more protien without even thinkng about it.
I really am glad I went on a LC diet - I have more energy, I only est till I'm full and I no longer depend on food to make me happy. LCing definately changes your mind set and in my opinion, it doesn't matter how you do it - if you follow this plan or that plan, it's matters what works best for you - and I think the people who do the best are definately the people who tweek things to make the way of life easier to handle or work best for them.
Great post and enlightening web site, thanks for posting!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: mine
Stats: 245/229/179 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Beware: Rant coming up......................

That is a very interesting "Test." Considering that it comes from a website that is trying to sell you a book and a program, it is not suprising that the test asks these questions in the manner that they do. It's like when you were in 6th grade and you teased a kid with, "When was the last time you smelled your dog's butt," or "When was the last time your mom kissed the mailman?" These questions are asked SPECIFICALLY to generate a SPECIFIC response.

Answer these questions:

After drinking more than 3 drinks, have you ever wanted "just one more" before last call?
Have you ever drank more than you should have; not want to stop drinking?
Do you ever think about your next drink before you're finished with the first?
Does the sight, smell, or even the thought of a drink, sometimes stimulate you to drink?
Do you sometimes drink just because your friends are?
Do you sometimes go home and have a "Night Cap"?
After many drinks, do you sometimes feel very sluggish, almost drugged?
Do you get anxious Friday at 3pm, knowing you're going to happy hour with friends?
Have you, at times, continued drinking even though you were drunk?
Have you ever had drink after drink Saturday night, then gone to Sunday brunch and had a Bloody Mary or a mimosa?
Have you ever acquiesced to the "Hair of the Dog?"

See, you are an alcoholic too! By sliding the words "ever" and "sometimes" in the "Test" it makes it almost impossible to not answer the question "Yes".
It's like asking if you sometimes drive too fast? Yes, you're a criminal...here's a book that can help.

I don't deny that many people have addictions to carbs. I just wish more people would go to a reputable source (without a money making agenda) to get information.

Sorry Rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't see then as having a money making agenda. If that's what they had in mind wouldn't they jump on the LC bandwagon and make a bunch of crap stuffed with SAs, and tell everyone they are perfectly fine to eat? And make a bunch of supplements and vitamins just to over charge for them because of the brand name?

But instead they would like people to get the book and read it, not just bits and pieces off the net.

Just my opinion.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 11:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. You could say the same about any other diet book author, even Dr. Atkins. Especially with the growth of Atkins Nutritionals.

Actually this test is the short version. They have a much longer and more detailed test in their books.

If authors didn't write books, their ideas wouldn't spread as widely to help more people.

The Hellers books grew out of their own experiences. Both of them are Carbohydrate Addicts. From their discovery of the diet grew their research and their practice of servicing others who suffered from the same condition. From that came their books.

Many people who are carbohydrate addicts, myself included, feel the Hellers are lifesavers. I'm sure that many on Atkins feel the same about Dr. Atkins.

If there wasn't a profit motive, their books wouldn't be published, advertised and distributed.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 06:46

Stats: 204.5/184/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I am also struggling.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 14:27

Plan: CAD
Stats: 288/288/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:

I am trying CAD and am a little unsure I understand the reward meal. Can someone help me with understanding you can eat anything you want right?? But you have to have a salad and some protein first right?? Do I have that straight?? Because to me a reward meal is just that.. you eat anything you want but this seems to have restrictions such as the salad and protein?? Can someone help explain it to me?? Thank you!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 19:55

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi Moe,

I will try to explain this for you as best I can.

Over the years the Heller's have revised their CAD book and also wrote another book called the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program, CALP. Too many people were using the RM for a total free for all and eating any and all carbs they could get their hands on. When they did this, they found they were hungry, had terrible cravings and of course didn't lose any weight, so they gave it up and said the plan didn't work. The Heller's found that people who start their RM's with a nice big salad, anything that you want to put in this salad is legal, BTW and also any kind of dressing. Then they advise eating the rest of your meal in 1/3 portions. This is 1/3 protein, 1/3 legal CM veggies, and 1/3 carbs. There is no limit on the amount of food that you eat, just that it is balanced and you eat it within the 60 minutes. If you desire to have more carbs, then you are suppose to have more protein and more veggies along with it. The Heller's claim by eating this way you won't have any desire to eat outside of your RM, you will be full,your cravings will be gone and you will be satisfied.

Not everyone balances like they should Some don't balance at all and still manage to lose weight. I know my experince with CAD was, I followed the very first CAD book starting in Dec 2000, and I didn't know about the 1/3 balancing part of the diet at that time. I just used some common sense and just ate a normal meal with a dessert. It worked wonderful for me and I lost 40 lbs within 6 months. After that things came to a screetching halt and I have not been able to get the scale to move again, using any plan. In fact this past year, the scale has gone way up. I haven't been faithful like I should have been. I do know when I follow CAD, I feel good, I don't have any cravings, nor am I hungry. The longer you are on the diet, the better you feel, and the less you will want to eat.

My advice to you would be to make the program as liberal as possible, just make sure that you don't make your RM a free for all. Try to eat a fairly good healthy meal, use some common sense. Later on if you feel that you need to tweak the program a little bit, then you can do that. Sort of find what works for you. Some people find they can't lose if they have any sugar with their RM's and other find they can eat anything. No 2 people are the same with this plan.

I am sure there are others out there who can explain this better then I did. I hope this helps. If you have any questions please write and ask. Someone will help you.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 10:19

Plan: CAD
Stats: 288/288/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:

Thank you so much for explaining that to me!! I didn't realize there was a revised book... I am assuming when you eat the reward meal in thirds as you say then we can still have our reward desert? (with some common sense and portion control) I tried this diet because that really apealed to me that I can still have something sweet at my reward meal as long as I don't go hog wild!!! lol... anyway thank you again for explaining that to me and I am going out today to buy that new book!

Thank you,
Moe
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 16:19

Plan: 20 per day
Stats: 235/205/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hello Everyone,

I too scored 100% on the test. Okay, guess I need to "change over" to CAD. Mercy, this all seems so overwhelming to me! So much to learn. Where do I begin? In other words, HELP!!!

Cissie
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 16:25

Plan: 20 per day
Stats: 235/205/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 40%

Okay, here is what I plan to do. Please tell me if I am way off here. Since I don't have any cravings or feel badly going without meals, I plan to completely omit breakfast. I will only drink water throughout the day. Then for dinner I will have a meal beginning with 2 cups lettuce salad and the 1/3 of protein, 1/3 veggies, and 1/3 dessert protion. It this correct? Also, if I do get hungry for lunch, what is safe for me to eat? I think I have the drinking down straight. Nothing except water until my RM. At the RM I can have whatever I choose correct?

Cissie
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 08:41

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hi again :)

Well, it is fine to leave off breakfast, I have been doing that lately myself. But, I would be prepared with something safe for lunch in case you are hungry. It is hard to eat only once a day. Anything from the CM approved list of foods is ok for your lunch. A lot of us eat salad (CM veggies only) and some form of protein..meat, tuna, eggs etc. But you could also have cooked veggies. Just make sure whatever you have is on the list, a lot of people are suprised that some of the vegetables they are used to eating (like broccoli) aren't on the CM approved list.

For your reward meal, you have it right..but again, the veggie portion is to be low carb veggies, not just any old veggie. And for your carb 1/3 you can have dessert if you want, but you can also use it for bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, oatmeal, fruit or any other starchy food that you like.

As far as drinks go, in addition to water you can also have black coffee or tea during the rest of the day, and any beverage you want with your reward meal. If it is beverage that has carbs then it counts toward the 1/3 carb portion.

Good luck to you and feel free to keep asking questions
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 15:10
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I couldnt get the test to open? Is it just me or is that a dead link?
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 15:48

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

I couldn't get it either but here is a different one:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/caquiz.html