Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-21, 07:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
With almost no restraint over the holidays, and my last bubbly NYE, I am restarting only 3 pounds more than where I left off. My BG waking and pre-meal somehow stayed lower so I call that a win, but will be working on that.

I'd call that a win, too!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-21, 09:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The January Challenge starts today...almost 300 people from around the world! One fellow in Zimbabwe, found another person he use to work with, now in Melbourne, and they discussed the Zimbabwe expat community there. Other than the fact they may both be accountants and DDF appeals to data geeks....social media always amazes me.

With almost no restraint over the holidays, and my last bubbly NYE, I am restarting only 3 pounds more than where I left off. My BG waking and pre-meal somehow stayed lower so I call that a win, but will be working on that.

Excellent. Good news to start the New Year right.
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-21, 04:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Marty Kendall posted the entire Introduction to his book, Big, Fat Keto Lies. on his website: https://optimisingnutrition.com/big...s-introduction/
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-21, 04:55

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks for posting the link, Janet
I have read it.
I still haven't gotten around to testing my blood sugar.
  #125   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-21, 05:59

Another good ( and long) excerpt from Marty's book, Big, Fat Keto Lies, on the history of the “The Low Carb and Keto movements.” In the Keto section, more on fats, esp. oils:

Quote:
However, this ‘single macronutrient’ ‘good vs bad’ viewpoint neglects the fact that refined oils have been on the rise in our food system for a century.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/a-b...-keto-movement/
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-21, 16:40

BF:

Just bought Marty's book, "Big Fat Keto Lies," and as I'm reading, a couple observations are worthwhile. He states that 'Keto' has an identity problem in that this term that has become a media fad is confusing and lacks rigor (my words) in that it means different things to different people. I agree. However, it must be stated that this tends to happen with many touted eating practices like "Mediterranean diet," "plant-based diet," "vegan diet," "Paleo diet," and others. The details get lost due to interpretations by factions adopting these practices, journalists who lack the knowledge to explain these diets accurately because they don't understand nutrition, and everyone else trying to find the " easy button" when conversing about diets and nutrition in general.

Marty occasionally drops by this forum, so it would be great to have him participate in this discussion, as 'Keto' is hardly alone in this dynamic.

The book, by the way, is a breath of fresh air explaining the many things one can do to embrace healthy eating practices. It clearly refutes the many myths, assumptions, and the frequent and blatant misinformation (primarily from those manufacturing & marketing "dietary compliant foods") that arise when discussing a nuanced topic like nutrition and its impact on metabolism.
  #127   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-21, 19:43

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm in the process of "baselining" from Martys sheets from DDF - super fun and interesting. I'm looking forward to the "Hunger Training" part. So far, my first two readings are promising as far as what I'm eating (raise of 4 pts mg/dL ) but I think I'm pretty chocked full of energy usable energy.
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-21, 04:30

Thud, so happy to see you here! ..read you had quite the spill and wondered if you would be up to messing with BG ...but you're a tough guy

What started my journey was Marty's post about flatlining BG. My after meal readings average 5 points...I didn’t even bother with after meal on this second baselining. If we eat low carb (and for me it’s now low carb plus more vegetables) watching post-meal is boring unless you want to test your limits with some new food.

What has been more interesting is undoing the "chronic" (word used in recent Ted Naiman tweet) adaptive glucose sparing. Now that my weight is back at a 24 BMI, the pre-meal and waking glucose is coming down. I was also chock full of usable and/or toxic energy and it was slow going until I off-loaded that. I had to stare at this Insulin threshold/dam infographic a long time before it sunk in. https://optimisingnutrition.com/ted...phic-explained/

Quote:
As noted in Ted’s insulinographic, a low energy density diet is another way to keep your basal insulin levels down.

You can achieve this by focusing on foods with a lower energy density which will make it harder to overeat. This will ensure your body fat stores are used. With less fat to hold back in storage, your insulin levels will decrease.

If you are interested in a DDF web-based app, the FB page for people on the Program is having an "event" tomorrow to explain it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/553798352002145. I just figured out the spreadsheet, so am only doing the basics in the app so far. I post occasionally on this page and the one for the January Challenge, under one of my many fake names...Julia Young.

See you around DDF.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-12-21 at 08:50.
  #129   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-21, 08:58

BF:

Hi Janet! I was not ready or able to join the current DDF session but am reading, learning and pricking my finger. My BG - even before I got super heavy always seems to be around 95-100 on waking. I think it's such a cool idea to use data (meter reading) and try to match it with what i might perceive as "hunger" the other day I though, "I'm hungry" and measured bg was 92 - that's neither hear nor that but what might be interesting is to tie that hunger feeling to some range of numbers - and practice, over time, lowering that by eating the right foods for me at the right time.

Anywho, I might jump on the next session and actually pay some money for the great materials and community.

PS - Feeling better from snowboard crash, that's just part of the deal. Gravity is a harsh mistress - the tick said.
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-21, 10:22

No worries, Marty has many posts on his public page as well. https://www.facebook.com/optimisingnutrition

Gravity is a harsh mistress Also Ice is harder than Water..that boarding on ice makes me shiver, and not just from cold.

Thanks for putting the Big Fat Keto Lies into the Low-Carb War Zone!
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484736

Might make some folks rethink those keto cheesecakes.
https://www.bigfatketolies.com/big-fat-keto-lies
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-21, 13:26

BF:

I like putting that there in the war zone for shock value, no takers yet ha! Second day of baseline and my BG went down after lunch (first meal) I don't think the spread sheet liked that - but this was after what I thought was a highish reading before eating of 102 after waking with 102 - down to 100 1 hour after eating. This is why 3 days is probably good for baseline as one single reading at anytime is meaningless, as meaning less as...

"I ate a spoon full of spinach yesterday and today my weight is up, must be the spinach!" - such fun.
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-21, 05:22

There are many long threads about the accuracy (or not) of BG meters. You could get a 2 point difference using the same meter, on the same drop of blood, at the same time, but with a new strip. If in 3 days your post meal readings never go up 30 mg or higher, then you focus only on the waking and pre-meal trigger level.
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-21, 08:25

BF:

Good point about BG meters. I have 3 and they do vary. The one that is most consistent is the Keto Mojo. My experience is that one is more consistently accurate than the two others I have that were highly recommended. I did a side-by-side comparison for a week, and Keto Mojo took 1st place in consistency, for what it's worth. Thud - believe you have the Keto Mojo, so not sure about your experiences using it to measure BG, but that's the only one I use now.

Yes, this is fun, and I've been able to ID the foods that give me an unnecessary energy surplus and banish those offenders.
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-21, 08:52

BF:

Thanks guys, yup Rob, I'm using the keto mojo and did the upgrade thing as well - still running myself out of 2 bottles of glucose test strips (non expired) - my post meal (I'm taking ready 1 hour after last forkfull of food in meal - is that correct?) numbers are barely budging up, in fact went down after dinner, but I did get out and was active prior. I'm eating VLC high Protein so that makes sense to me (not much of a bump if any)

See what happens today (last day for first baseline). I'm not trying to hold of eating or anything these 3 days, when I think it's time for a meal, I measure, then eat, then measure.

Janet, I dig the idea of seeing if I can dent my waking BG down from where it sits "normally" I just did looked at the 90 day average on the keto mojo meter and it was 97mg/dL - I've also gained a lot of fat energy in that time too - last 28 days 99mg/dL

OK, 'nuff said - let the experiment begin!
  #135   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-21, 09:38

BF:

I don't know if any one else here that monitors BG - but have you tried blood draws at the same time with different arms and different fingers? I seem to be seeing a pattern that my left arm BG is lower than my right arm.

Since I've been sticking myself so often I've started trying to use the left arm and fingers to spread the trauma load out across the digits.

this morning I saw this (withing a few mins - waking glucose):

Right Pinky: 101
Left Pinky: 87
Left Middle: 94

I put the average down for my "waking" measurement in the DDF spreadsheet. For the next little while i'm going to start sticking both pinkies in the morning, perhaps at each pre-meal as well.

Keto Mojo v1 meter
Strips (50 pcs)
Expires: 2022-01-31

I'll be running out of these soon and into the last 50 bottle of v1 meter - then will start using the v2 meter.

Rob, have you upgraded your meter? they were doing it for free when I was looking to get more ketone strips. The new strips come individually packages in foil. More of a pain and waste but perhaps better QA - who knows.

I found this interesting below in a quick google search on the matter (asymmetrical readings)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6610604/