Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-09, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 185/173/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Sorry kt, I don't have my picture anymore I seem to have lost it but I will get another one from the doctors' office here in the next couple days and when I do I will post it here. Hopefully they won't have a problem giving it to me. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-10, 03:52

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 165/170/185 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 25%

kt12 thank you for posting your experience as my symptoms and problems are virtually identical to what yours were. So I was basically wondering what dosage of the biozole you took? The picture says 200mg, did you just take 1 of those a day?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-10, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: N/A
Stats: 127/127/127 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenfeltc
kt12 thank you for posting your experience as my symptoms and problems are virtually identical to what yours were. So I was basically wondering what dosage of the biozole you took? The picture says 200mg, did you just take 1 of those a day?

Hey rosenfeltc,

I just took it once per day for 14 days. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-10, 18:48

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

KT12, thank you for posting your story! I teach at a large high school, and sometimes encounter a student with a health problem that I recognize, and am subsequently able to help them with...guide them in the right direction! Bad breath has been one of them, but like you I always thought the problem was with the mouth. Now I have something new to offer these students...if treating the mouth doesn't work, look deeper!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 02:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

There are Fluconazole-Resistant forms of Candida so it's possible some people will not have the same speedy recovery.

It may therefore also be worth investigating other alternative routes to clear candida infections.

We note that UVB can stimulate innate immunity in yet other ways. MSH, although a potent immunosuppressant itself—as well as a "hormone" or "neuropeptide"—also has, independently, potent antifungal activity; thus, stimulation of "tanning" is accompanied by the generation of local antifungal defenses.

Non burning UV exposure also raises vitamin D status and that is used to activate immune response.

Vitamin B3 (niacin) Identified as a Potential Antifungal Treatment

Antimicrobial Properties of Coconut Oil on Candida Species

Multiple effects of green tea catechin on the antifungal activity of antimycotics against Candida albicans

Bear in mind these suggestions attack infection from different perspectives so using all at the same time is likely to be more effective than using them one after the other.

PS Another antifungal.
Antifungal propolis search

Iherb propolis Introductory $5 discount ~~~~~~

Antifungal activity Garlic

Curcumin another promising antifungal agent

Last edited by Hutchinson : Sun, Jul-11-10 at 03:58.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-10, 11:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
There are Fluconazole-Resistant forms of Candida so it's possible some people will not have the same speedy recovery.

Hey Hutchinson,

The link you provided speaks about Fluconazole Resistant Candida glabrata. This type of Candida is actually not very common in humans. The most common form of infectious Candida is Candida albicans (I believe that more than 80% of all Candida infections are from Candida albicans).

With that being said though, of course any type of Candida can become resistant to medications depending on the circumstances. That's why it's important to use all antifungal medications as directed by either the manufacture or by your doctor or pharmacist.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-10, 11:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
KT12, thank you for posting your story! I teach at a large high school, and sometimes encounter a student with a health problem that I recognize, and am subsequently able to help them with...guide them in the right direction! Bad breath has been one of them, but like you I always thought the problem was with the mouth. Now I have something new to offer these students...if treating the mouth doesn't work, look deeper!

You're welcome.

Yep, the mouth is not the only source of bad breath. It can stem from a whole lot more.

That's why I urge anyone who knows someone who suffers from chronic bad breath, you should just find a polite way to tell them, because they could be suffering form something that's quite serious.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-10, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT12
With that being said though, of course any type of Candida can become resistant to medications depending on the circumstances. That's why it's important to use all antifungal medications as directed by either the manufacture or by your doctor or pharmacist.

A pubmed search for Fluconazole Resistant Candida ALBICANS produces 853 results There clearly is a problem with Fluconazole Resistant Candida Albicans.
While of course, completing the antibiotic course and taking as directed is important it's also very important, AFTER completing that treatment course, to try to reduce the chance of further infection by making your diet less likely to promote candida overgrowth.
Following the evidence based suggestions I have provided will make your system more resistant to repeat infections.
If you don't like those there are others that I could add.

I was just making the point that antibiotics may not be a complete cure for all candida infections and certainly will not provide protection from reinfection.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 09:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
A pubmed search for Fluconazole Resistant Candida ALBICANS produces 853 results There clearly is a problem with Fluconazole Resistant Candida Albicans.
While of course, completing the antibiotic course and taking as directed is important it's also very important, AFTER completing that treatment course, to try to reduce the chance of further infection by making your diet less likely to promote candida overgrowth.
Following the evidence based suggestions I have provided will make your system more resistant to repeat infections.
If you don't like those there are others that I could add.

I was just making the point that antibiotics may not be a complete cure for all candida infections and certainly will not provide protection from reinfection.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that people should follow up with a natural defense against Candida after finishing medications. I've done the exact same thing.

I was simply pointing out the link you provided was for a strain of Candida that is not very common in humans. By the way, the link you provided to the PubMed website is not working. Not sure if it's my computer or if it's just been posted incorrectly.

Again, all microorganisms can develop a resistance to medications, which is why I stated that all medications should be taken correctly to reduce that chance.

Just one more thing, you referred to the Medications for Candida as antibiotics. Actually they are not antibiotics, they are antifungals. Antibiotics do not treat Candida since Candida is not a bacteria. I'm sure you're aware of that though, I just wanted to clarify in case anyone got confused.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 13:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 165/170/185 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default to kt12

kt12,
I just ordered me some flucozole online and unfortunately it's going to take a few weeks before I get it. However, I was wondering if you had to follow any type of diet while taking 200 mg of fluconazole daily? I mean did you have to eat low carb since there are a lot of rumors saying that candida feeds off of carbs or did you just have to avoid eating yeast products and not necessarily carbs?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 21:51
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenfeltc
kt12,
I just ordered me some flucozole online and unfortunately it's going to take a few weeks before I get it. However, I was wondering if you had to follow any type of diet while taking 200 mg of fluconazole daily? I mean did you have to eat low carb since there are a lot of rumors saying that candida feeds off of carbs or did you just have to avoid eating yeast products and not necessarily carbs?

Hey Rosenfeltc,

Oh goodness, I hope you didn't pay too much for the Fluconazole you ordered online. I've never really trusted a lot of those online pharmacies. You never know what in the heck you're getting, and a lot of them are rip offs. Good luck with it though. Actually here in Thailand (where I live) you're able to purchase Fluconazole over the counter from any of the pharmacies and it's super cheap. One of the benefits of living in a developing country I guess.

As far as the food I would avoid, I mainly just avoid 3 things, any food containing yeast (primarily bread), mushrooms, and all forms of alcohol. Other than that I eat pretty much everything else.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers!

KT
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 03:04
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry about the link here is one that I've checked that produces 4,150 reference to "fluconazole-resistant" "Candida albicans" I'm sorry if anyone may have thought that there wasn't a problem with the overuse or misuse of fluconazole.
The point about resistance to anti-fungal or anti-biotic medication arising from the failure to complete the medication course properly or overusing these medications is the same whether we are talking about antifungals or antibiotics. I'm sorry if my fingers didn't type what my brain intended.
I think most people here are sufficiently intelligent to work out the important aspects of my posts.

I think pharmacists are very keen to demonise online suppliers of medicinal products. This Monday visit to the chemist was for some urine test strips for which I was quoted a ridiculous price. I protested about the price as I'd previously bought some online at a sensible price. I was told by the chemist that online suppliers were not reliable and almost certainly I'd be ripped off.
Well 2 days later these were delivered and are in fact identical in every way to the ones my doctor uses. I can assure you the results in his surgery 2hrs after I'd opened the packet and used one at home were identical both detecting blood and Leukocytes.

While of course it MAY be the case that online suppliers MAY be less effective it MAY also be the case that what your pharmacist tells you is simply BS.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-10, 20:01

Plan: candida
Stats: 117/117/117 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

KT, thank you soooo very much for this post. I was just diagnosed with candida esophagitis Sept 30 by my GI doc. I had some vomiting with certain foods, not all the time so he did an endoscpopy. After it was done I was ready to leave and that they could mail me my instructions but they told me I had to wait for my prescription. I was like prescription for what!!!!! They made me wait for the nurse, who didn't know much, but then the doctor came in, he was very nice took his time and explained that everything looked normal in my belly BUT he thought I had candida, they did a biopsy but he gave me a prescription for ketoconazole 200 mg for 14 days. I instantly got sick to my stomach because he started telling me it could be from diabetes which I don't have, HIV, lymphoma, etc. He then said or it could be nothing at all but by then I only heard your dying from AIDS or you have cancer. My endoscopic pics look EXACTLY like yours. The thing is, I didn't have ANY symptoms at all. Well needless to say I couldn't sleep cause I thought I was dying, I took an HIV test which was negative thank God, so to be on the safe side I have to rule out the other things mentioned earlier. My appts are next Thurs and Fri. It was refreshing to read your story cause like you said all the research out there safe that we're immunocompramised in some way and that is is next to immpossible to get this in an otherwise healthy person. I was soooo stressed I lost 5 pounds in 1 week. I went from 122lbs to 117lbs. Like you said other people need to know that candida does exist in healthy people. Unlike you my doc diagnosed and treated me as soon as he saw it but he scared the living daylights outta me also. He did say it could be stress induced as well r/t a weakened immune system. Again thank you.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-11, 14:48

Plan: None
Stats: 208/208/208 Male 69"
BF:
Progress:

KT - Thanks so much for this story! I rushed myself to the ER with chest pains and after going through all the cardiology tests (which all resulted in a strong heart), my final was an edoscopy. Imagine coming out of sedation and being told, "It looks like Candida, but I won't know for sure until the lab results are in. It is unusually for someone as healthy as you to get this since most people have AIDS. It is easily treatable, but I need for you to get an HIV test." Well, now I am totally devistated! I called my primary doctor and said I had to see him today (since I just had blood work done 2 weeks ago). I asked him if they checked for STDs. He said no, so I told him what happened and he told me - You do not have HIV based on your last blood work results, but I still went for the test. I am still waiting for the results, but reading your story might give me peace of mind (plus my doctors) tonight when I try to get some sleep! THANKS!!!!!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 09:44

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

subscribing