Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 23:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default (Let's Ignore) What's Really Making Us Fat

Warning: Contains quotes from Darth Bray that will raise your blood pressure.
URL: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ingle_page=true

Quote:
Conventional wisdom says that weight gain or loss is based on the energy balance model of "calories in, calories out," which is often reduced to the simple refrain, "eat less, and exercise more." But new research reveals a far more complex equation that appears to rest on several other important factors affecting weight gain. Researchers in a relatively new field are looking at the role of industrial chemicals and non-caloric aspects of foods -- called obesogens -- in weight gain. Scientists conducting this research believe that these substances that are now prevalent in our food supply may be altering the way our bodies store fat and regulate our metabolism. But not everyone agrees. Many scientists, nutritionists, and doctors are still firm believers in the energy balance model. A debate has ensued, leaving a rather unclear picture as to what's really at work behind our nation's spike in obesity.

Bruce Blumberg, professor of developmental and cell biology and pharmaceutical sciences at the University of California, Irvine, who coined the term "obesogen," studies the effect that organotins -- a class of persistent organic pollutants that are widely used in the manufacture of polyvinylchloride plastics, as fungicides and pesticides on crops, as slimicides in industrial water systems, as wood preservatives, and as marine antifouling agents -- have on the body's metabolism. Organotins, which he considers to be obesogens, "change how your body responds to calories," he says. "So the ones we study, tributyltin and triphenyltin, actually cause exposed animals to have more and bigger fat cells. The animals that we treat with these chemicals don't eat a different diet than the ones who don't get fat. They eat the same diet -- we're not challenging them with a high-fat or a high-carbohydrate diet. They're eating normal food, and they're getting fatter."

(pullout quote: The CDC reports that "nearly all" Americans tested have BPA in their urine, "which indicates widespread exposure to BPA in the U.S. population.")

A widely reported study that came out in January in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN) would seem to dispute this finding: it confirms the belief in the energy balance model, and has been cited as proof by many researchers working in the field. I asked an author of the study, Dr. George Bray, professor of medicine at Louisiana State University, about the myriad of additives and industrial ingredients in our food that were not accounted for in this study. "It doesn't make any difference," he said in a telephone interview. "Calories count. If you can show me that it doesn't work, I'd love to see it. Or anybody else who says it doesn't -- there ain't no data the other way around."

The participants in the AJCN study were given low, normal, and high amounts of protein and 1,000 more calories than needed. The study does not take into account the content and form of calories, how they were processed, or with what additives or industrial chemicals.

Bray doesn't believe that additives or how foods are processed or produced will ultimately affect the outcome of studies. In fact, he completed research in 2007 that he refers to as his "Big Mac study," which fed participants three meals a day for three days giving one group fast-food items like Big Macs and the other group foods made "from scratch." Bray says the results showed that the type of food made no difference: "At least in an acute study measuring glucose tolerance, insulin, and things -- they don't make any difference. Now, if you fed them over a longer time period, it's clearly going to be the quantity that matters, largely."

One study conducted at Princeton University indicates that types of calories do matter. Researchers found that rats drinking high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) gained significantly more weight than rats drinking sugar water, even though the amount of calories consumed was the same. The rats drinking HFCS also exhibited signs of metabolic syndrome, including abnormal weight gain, especially visceral fat around the belly, and significant increases in circulating triglycerides.

Miriam Bocarsly, the lead author of the Princeton study and a Ph.D. candidate there, said in a phone interview: "The question of calories in, calories out is a very good one and is highly debated in the field. You have traditional nutritionists who say 'energy in energy out,' but we have this result and at this point all we can really say is that this is what is happening in the rat model. Something is obviously different between HFCS and table sugar, and the next question is, What is that difference?"

Blumberg says that fructose itself is an obesogen. "Crystalline fructose doesn't exist in nature, we're making that," he says. "Fructose is not a food. People think fructose comes from fruit but it doesn't. The fructose that we eat is synthesized. Yes, it's derived from food. But cyanide is derived from food, too. Would you call it a food?"

Robert H. Lustig, a pediatric neuroendocrinologist and a professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco, also believes that fructose is an obesogen. "I personally do lump fructose in with [obesogens]," he told me in an email. "There are those who don't, because fructose is a nutrient, and they want to think of an obesogen as a foreign chemical. But because fructose tricks the brain into eating more in a free-range situation, it has some properties consistent with an obesogen."

Lustig is another researcher and doctor who finds fault in the calories in, calories out model. "I don't believe in the energy balance model, which is calorie-centric," he says. "I believe in the fat deposition model, which is insulin-centric. The reason is that by altering insulin dynamics, you can alter both caloric consumption and physical activity behavior. This has been my research for the past 16 years." What Lustig means is that by increasing circulating insulin -- often as a result of consuming too much fructose -- people become hungrier and more fatigued, which results in overeating and little motivation to exercise.

Another possible obesogen that has made headlines recently is bisphenol-A (BPA), which is found in an overwhelming number of food items and packaging material. Frederick S. vom Saal, curators' professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia, receives funding the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences for his research on BPA. "We do animal experiments with chemicals like BPA, and we dramatically alter the way fat is regulated in those animals," vom Saal said in a phone interview. "And they're not changing their food intake."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that "nearly all" Americans tested have BPA in their urine, "which indicates widespread exposure to BPA in the U.S. population." The American Chemistry Council has called for a ban on BPA in baby bottles and sippy cups (which California and several other states have already done), and some food manufacturers are already moving away from using BPA in their packaging. On Monday, Campbell's Soup announced it will stop using BPA in the lining of its cans. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is scheduled to decide by the end of March whether to ban the chemical's use in all food and beverage packaging.

Vom Saal believes that BPA is only the most prominent example of many substances in our food supply and environment that functions as an obesogen. "If people really want to solve the obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease epidemics," he says, "it isn't a wise thing to be ignoring any contributor to this. And we're not obese just because of HFCS, or because of BPA. I also know that nicotine and PCBs and other chemicals are implicated in diabetes and metabolic disease as well."

(pullout quote: The energy balance model diverts responsibility back to the consumer because conventional wisdom says the spike in obesity is the result of people consuming more foods than ever before.)

Lustig echoes vom Saal's belief that a wide range of substances in our food supply and our environment are likely leading to obesity and metabolic disease based on hosts of studies of various substances. These include soy-based infant formula, phthalates (used in many plastics), PCBs (found in coolant and electrical equipment), DDE (a type of pesticide), fungicides, and atrazine (a common pesticide).

If the obesogen theory comes to be accepted and casts doubt on the energy balance model, the food industry will be in trouble. It would be harder to keep promoting diet and "health" foods that may be low in calories but that also contain an array of substances that may actually prove to contribute to weight gain.

The emphasis that industry places on personal choice puts the onus back on the individual and leaves the consumer with tough decisions to make about industrial food products and additives. The food industry does not disclose what kinds of potential obesogens, like certain organotins or BPA, are in its products, because these substances are not required to be listed on labels and are difficult for the FDA to regulate. With an emerging debate in the scientific community and an absence of information on labels, consumers are left making their best guess on the safety and health of foods.

"People say to me all the time, 'What do I do?'" vom Saal says. "And the answer is, there's not much we can do, because industry has no legal mandate to tell you, and so they refuse to tell you the way they're using these chemicals. How do you avoid something you are blind to?"

The energy balance model also diverts responsibility back to the consumer because conventional wisdom says that the spike in obesity and diet-related disease is the result of people consuming more foods than ever before. But a review of the literature in The Obesity Epidemic: Science, Morality, and Ideology by Michael Gard and Jan Wright asserts that there is no evidence that food intake levels have increased in industrialized countries, or that activity levels have declined. According to Gard and Wright, some studies even suggest a reduction in energy intake over the past several decades.

Julie Guthman, a professor of community studies at the University of California, Santa Cruz, points out in her new book, Weighing In, that the amount of calories consumed across racial lines and income levels varies little, according to a study by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). This is despite the fact that obesity and overweight do vary across racial lines and income levels: Poorer people tend to be more obese, and African Americans and Latinos have higher rates of obesity than do whites. This means there must be some other mechanism, Guthman says, besides excess calories, in the varying levels of obesity. In her book, she refers to the possible role of environmental factors like exposure to obesogens and other toxins, stress, and non-nutritional aspects of food.

Guthman would like to see stronger regulation on the part of the government, and a discussion that focuses more on how food is produced and not just on how much is eaten. "I think people would like to say that weight loss is simple and that it's all about changing personal behavior," Guthman says. "So there's an emphasis on trying to make people have better lifestyles or on changing the built environment."

This seems to fit with Marion Nestle's approach to educating people on weight loss. Nestle is the co-author of a new book on the subject, Why Calories Count. "BPA, PCBs, and other such contaminating chemicals can't possibly be good for health," she said in an email. "But it's really hard to prove that they cause demonstrable harm. They might have something to do with obesity -- I suppose it's not impossible -- but why invoke complicated explanations when the evidence for calories is so strong? Let's say obesogens affect a body weight regulatory factor, which they very well might do. But so what? Weight is regulated by more than a hundred biological factors, and these are redundant, which means that if something goes wrong with one of them the others fill in the deficit."

The "so what," Guthman says, is that "We really don't understand the science enough, and there's new evidence in the science that completely re-shifts how we think about these things."

According to Blumberg, the food industry would like to discredit emerging research on obesogens. "What industry typically does is fund studies that produce the opposite conclusions, thereby shedding doubt on the science," he says. "If you take BPA as an example, the vast majority of studies performed by independent government and academic scientists show that it has numerous deleterious effects on health. In contrast, not a single industry-funded or -conducted study has found any hazard associated with BPA."

Can we afford to continue to frame the discussion simply in terms of calories in and calories out? Or by looking only at conventional categories like fat, protein, and carbohydrates and diary, meat, grains, and vegetables? Given the proliferation of industrial pollutants and the ultra-processing of foods in our current food systems, it seems that we can't.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Wow, AJ that is just stunning. I hope more noise is made over this, seems the issues are so much more complex than one would ever think.

Thank you for the article. Fascinating!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 09:01

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
The "so what," Guthman says, is that "We really don't understand the science enough, and there's new evidence in the science that completely re-shifts how we think about these things."

So why is it that those of us who HAVE had the "paradigm shift" are able to lose weight and have healthier lifestyles? Surely it's not simply because we have a new way of thinking...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 10:29

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

'The 'obesity epidemic' may have multiple causes. Ultimately energy in, energy out with the difference in weight loss or gain but that is not a description of what is happening to metabolism. A number of scientists are curious as to the effect of the hormone imitating chemicals, which became comparatively plentiful some time during the 1900s. Other scientists are wondering about what affects signaling about hunger and satiety. That industry spends billions on "flavorists" and their additives gives us a clue.

Last edited by RobLL : Sat, Mar-10-12 at 14:40.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 12:25

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Thanks for the heads up
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 12:39

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Thank you..excellent article. I am planning one huge garden this year!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 22:12

With the exceptions of sucrose and fructose, I think the entire "obesogen" line of inquiry is what Dr. Attia calls "a third-order cause." Far and away the biggest contributors to obesity are foods that derange the insulin response: sugar, followed by foods that break down quickly to glucose and fructose. Get those under control, and then you can worry about all the other stuff.

The article makes me bang my head on my desk for its promotion of the CICO theory of obesity.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 08:17

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Gah, there was so much headdesking while reading that article. And then I made the mistake of reading some of the comments. I've got to learn not to do that, it just infuriates me more!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 08:56

Even my cat is disappointed in this article.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, Mar-11-12 at 09:02.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 12:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I realize that the biggest problem is the rampant use of sugar, hfcs, and the dramatic increase in refined flour, however I don't discount that these chemicals could have a compounding effect on the whole issue.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 15:40
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well, you will notice that everything else we know about -- from wheat gluten to drinking alcohol -- has results only emphasizing the "biochemical individuality" of people.

I suspect that pollutants and other chems have the same issue. Some people, they may affect a whole lot, while others may have little issue with them. And of course, that is aside from the factor that some people may be exposed a whole lot, while others may not be. You put OJ and other acidics in a BPA-lined sippie cup for the toddler and then kid for years, chances are they're going to have a heavier load-effect from this than others, even if they are on the scale of those who react 'less so' to it comparatively.

My growing suspicion is that if you back away and look at our culture from the far-view/big-picture angle, you can fairly easily see which people (categorically) react the worst to the most common foods. They're the ones gigantic or dead.

PJ
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 16:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
One study conducted at Princeton University indicates that types of calories do matter. Researchers found that rats drinking high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) gained significantly more weight than rats drinking sugar water, even though the amount of calories consumed was the same. The rats drinking HFCS also exhibited signs of metabolic syndrome, including abnormal weight gain, especially visceral fat around the belly, and significant increases in circulating triglycerides.

The rats in that study... the HFCS water had half the calories of the sucrose water, so the water was actually less sweet. You could say HFCS is even worse, since less of it made the rats fatter, but I don't know. All sorts of weird stuff ends up mattering in these studies, depending on context. I have seen other studies where with equal calorie HFCS and sucrose in water, HFCS was more fattening (even though the rats drank less of the HFCS). Anyways, more than one thing was changed, carbohydrate density and type, so not a well controlled study.

I do think sugar is fattening the way we usually eat it, don't get me wrong. Just not sure about that one rat study.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 04:11

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:

Did the sugar water (which I assume is sucrose water) also have some effect (but less of one) in the direction of metabolic syndrome symptoms for the rats?

I wonder if this more fattening effect of HFCS over sugar is due to it often containing 5% more fructose than sucrose. Doesn't seem like that much of a difference. Maybe HFCS has toxic effects beyond its fructose content?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 04:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I don't doubt there's more chemicals in the food we are eating; along with genetic engineering, pesticides, antibiotics and simply poor feeding of both animals and vegetables. Our cows aren't eating grass; they are eating "cow chow." Our vegetables are grown in soil fertilized with what we know; if we used compost we'd be putting in things we don't know about, but will probably turn out to be vital, anyway.

In my own case, I followed the Calories In/Calories Out "dieting advice" and lost weight constantly. I was also constantly putting it right back on again... and this lasted for thirty years.

I started Atkins almost 8 years ago; lost weight in less than a year, kept it off until multiple stresses led to back to carbs; gained some back. Restarted, lost the excess again, and have been in pre-maintenance for a year, losing an additional 8 pounds.

And I KNOW, from years of calorie counting, that I'm averaging at least 400 more calories a day, and sometimes a lot more.

We KNOW the macronutrient composition of our diet has changed drastically; Americans, at least, did what they were told and lowered their fat and increased their carbohydrate consumption. However, I also think a lot of researchers are so steeped in the wrong theory they cannot study what is really happening. That's why I get rather impatient with these side issues; how can we possibly figure out the less accessible levers when they won't even pull the BIG one right in front of them?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 12:45

Update: Blumberg, the obesogen researcher, just did an interview on the show Living on Earth. LGT interview transcript, but there's an audio link at the top of the page, too. Apparently, obesogens might be more important than the original article I posted indicates. Obesogens work pre-natally (at least, in mice) on the nano-scale level, programming stem cells (a) to directly turn into fat cells and/or (b) to be pre-disposed to become fat cells, absent counteracting forces in an animal's life. The upshot is that exposed mice needed to be more vigilant about their diets and exercise for their entire lives.

The show's also available on iTunes, if you're a masochist for how we're polluting our planet.