Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 06:25

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Ooh I have that cookbook and I LOVE it. It has a lot of paleo friendly or adaptable recipes!!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 21:13

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Something paleoish that I just have to share because its so seasonal.

2T coconut oil
2T almond butter
1/2 c pumpkin
smidge of salt
a little pumpkin pie spice blend
sweeten with maple syrup or maple extract and your favorite AS.

Heat just enough so the coconut oil melts and the pumpkin is warm. Mix.

Rich and warm and oh so yummy. Plus, paleo if you leave out the AS or 8 carbs if you use it.
  #213   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 05:20

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Default Armenian Green beans

Armenian Green beans is a variation on a dish found all over the eastern Mediterranean. Usually served with rice, I like to just make it thicker and eat it like a stew.

2 lbs. ground meat. (lamb is best, but beef also works. If using bison, use extra fat to brown, like some lard.)
1 onion roughly chopped
1 green pepper roughly chopped
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 regular can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 lbs. haricort verte (or french cut green beans, or green beans you slice in half long-ways)
salt, pepper and lots of paprika

Brown the meat and when it's close to being cooked, add the onion and green pepper. Cook on medium heat for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper and about 2-3 tablespoons of paprika. The secret is lots of paprika. Stir and cook for another minute or two. Add the tomatoes, breaking the whole tomatoes up with your hands as you add them. (be careful, they will squirt!) Stir well and let cook for another 10 minutes. Add the green beans. If the beans are frozen (Whole foods sells great frozen haricort verte) let it come back to a simmer and then cook for another 10 minutes. If the beans are fresh, then cook for at least another 15 minutes.

There are two basic schools with this dish. One likes the beans to still be crunchy and green, the other likes to cook it a long time until the means are softer and slightly mushy. Both are good. My wife, the Armenian, likes them crunchier so that's how I usually cook it. As a stew, though, I think it works better with a longer cooking time and mushier beans. You can also use whole meat (stew meat). If you do, then definitely cook it longer to braise the meat.

For those who don't want the texture of the tomato chunks, then use a big can of crushed tomatoes and a small can of tomato puree.

After cooking it for the minimum times I mentioned above, taste the dish and salt appropriately. The green beans will absorb a fair amount of salt, so depending upon your taste, it may well need more. Try it and see. You can also make a spicy version of this by adding cayenne in addition to the paprika, but don't skip the paprika.

Plane
  #214   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 09:54

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Guess who's making this for dinner sometime next week when she's done moving and sets up the new kitchen? Mmmmmmm.
  #215   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-07, 17:18

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I made the Armenian Green Beans tonight, Plane! I used 1/2 lamb and 1/2 beef for the meat, a full 2lbs of the frozen haricot vertes, and the crushed/pureed tomatoes. Also probably 3-4 T paprika. The flavor was amazing! I just loved it. My husband enjoyed it too, but he said he'd prefer the green beans to be softer (which was a variation you mentioned). Anyway, this recipe made a ton of food, so we will be feasting off of it for days. Thanks for the great addition to my recipe box.
  #216   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Paleo
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think it sounds much better as Armenian sans Green Beans. I'm not a fan of green beans. I hope to try this version next week.
  #217   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 14:22

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

OK it goes against everything I believe in to call these "Chicken Nuggets" but really that is what they are and they are as far as I am concerned very good ...I have served this as an appetizer at a party and folks never knew it was DIET FOOD

please if they are not paleo then tell me I am evolving as we speak! also I am not good at exact recipes so give or take on this ...

Chicken CocoNuggets with dipping sauce

preheat your oven and a baking pan (I actually need two pans for this) with oil in it to 425 degrees

bone a whole chicken neatly then cut it into nugget sized pieces using the trimmings and bones for soup of course... (I can not stand to buy parts I always wonder where the rest of the chicken went!) anyway feel free to use a boneless chicken white or dark meat whatever you like...
toss the chicken in a couple of beaten eggs with lime juice added grate some of the rind of the lime for the coating below
take about 2-3 cups of unsweetened dried coconut finely grated and mix it with 2 tsp cumin, 3 tble good ground red chile, ground coriander ..salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Now I just put this in a big bowl then toss the chicken nuggets into the coating toss carefully then spread them on the oiled preheated baking pan ..careful not to burn yourself!!!

these take only about 12 min to bake off so hang around and watch them

(they can also and it works great to precoat them and leave them in the fridg for a while to firm up before cooking if you want on the pans but I can not wait when I make these I want them!)

dipping sauce

in a blender or food processor
a bunch of cillantro
3 cloves of garlic
1 habanero pepper
juice of 3 limes
1 cup of coconut milk more or less I play with this
salt pepper and cumin to taste

enjoy!!!

PS I have deep fried these as well ..very good

I have a photo of these someplace I will post it if I find it
  #218   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 16:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh man, that sounds good.
  #219   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 16:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh man, that sounds good.

it is Nancy it really really is ..you can mix and match spices...and chilling the pieces on the pan over night really does make it firm up ..let me know if you try them!

does it sound Paleo enough?
  #220   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 19:46
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
bone a whole chicken neatly

That recipe sounds delicious! But I've never been able to debone a chicken neatly. My kitchen always looks like a B horror flick after. Instructions? Please?
  #221   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 05:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
That recipe sounds delicious! But I've never been able to debone a chicken neatly. My kitchen always looks like a B horror flick after. Instructions? Please?

LOL

here you go this looks good ..it takes some practice and a very sharp knife but you can do it very quickly once you get the hang of it!!!

or buy boneless but where is the rest of a boneless chicken buying parts wierds me out I want to see it intact before I eat it!

eta the link duh!!!
http://www.ehow.com/how_2069_bone-whole-chicken.html

Last edited by Heidihi : Wed, Oct-31-07 at 06:48.
  #222   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I learned how to butterfly a chicken from Alton Brown on Good Eats. He uses a model of a dinosaur to show you how. It was funny. Once you have it butterflied you can roast it flat and it gets done faster and cooks more evenly.
  #223   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 10:59

BF:

I bet youtube has a video!
  #224   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 14:43

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Heidihi I bet youtube has a video!

Indeed they do: How to butterfly a chicken
  #225   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 08:54

BF:

I dont know if you all do this but these are really good

take a mandolin if you have one or just use a sharp knife ..watch your fingers and slice really thin

turnips, pumpkin, squash, carrots, parsnips, beets, whatever fall veggie you like ..very thin like chips

now you can either deep fry them in lard or other oil or fat

and toss them in spice when they come out

or you can dry them completely in a 175 oven ..all day (or a deydrator of course if you have one) ...then when they are crispy toss them in oil and a seasoning and put back in the oven for an hour or so to soak it in

salt and chile on them for me

Paleo chips?