Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 18:14

Plan: Low Glycemic Index
Stats: 171/174/133
BF:
Progress: -8%
Default No weight loss on Induction

Hi guys! I'm new here so although I know there is a special forum for introductions, as I wanted to ask a question too I thought I's get it all done in one! My name is Lottie (as you can see) and I am 29 years old. I am British, although I am currently living in Sydney, Australia whilst I complete my veterinary science degree.

OK. I have posted this question on the low-carbdiet.uk site too, but need help so I thought I would post it here too! No such thing as too much help in my book. Anyway, I have been on induction for 2 weeks now. I have been really religious and stuck rigidly to the 20g per day. I have posted my menus on the UK site too and everyone says they are OK. Have been drinking 3L of water per day and exercising (treadmill, bike) for about 30mins per day. During induction my TOM started, but that finished about 2 days ago. The upshot of it all is that I have not lost a pound and in fact look as though I have put on 3! I am VERY depressed and really need some advice.

I am on meds that have been prescribed by a nutritionist doctor who is pro LCing. They are as follows (but I know they are all OK):

Lactobac, Magnesium Chelate, Indolplex, Psyllium Husk, L-Glutamine.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Cheers
Lottie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 18:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Lottie, welcome to our forum!

I suspect the problem (which is not really a problem) is exercise If you only started exercising recently, a low-carb diet and exercise might build some muscles. Many low-carbers lose fat and gain muscles at the same time. In that case, not much weight-loss is observed, but they would lose inches. This is really great and should not be demoralizing, as your body fat ratio will decrease.

Not many low-carb books discuss the importance of measurements, but it is the best tool to monitor progress. Start monitoring your measurements, and it should lift up your spirit.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/181/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 12%

Welcome Lottie,

I too am following the induction program to a T.
20 Carbs a day, psyllium, veggies, exercise. In my opinion, the whole 9 yards. Anyways, I wasn't eating bacon, as I had when I was successful on this WOE 2 years ago. So yesterday I ate bacon. Guess what. A 2 pound weight loss this morning.

It seems I wasn't getting enough fat. I don't know is this is the answer, but it felt good when I saw my first weight loss in a while.
Happy Low Carbing
Ludi54
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 00:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you have a history of yo-yo dieting? Are you eating enough calories or do you have a low-calorie mindset - feeling hungry is good? Any low-carb substitutes for high-carb foods? Artificial sweeteners? Are you on any prescription medications?

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 18:46

Plan: Low Glycemic Index
Stats: 171/174/133
BF:
Progress: -8%

Thanks guys for all the replies.

OK. It could be the exercise, although it is all aerobic not weight building as such and I have only been doing it for about a week (is this long enough that it could be the problem?)

I do still have that kinda "old fashioned" attitude that less is more! and when I saw the scales not going down (and indeed going up) I suppose I did restrict intake a bit, but STILL kept a lot of fat in the diet (just ate less). I have found that on this diet I am not as hungry at each meal, so only need to eat a little anyway. But I have been surfing around and have found low carb recipes as substitutes for high-carb foods, such as LC cheesecakes (3g per portion) and the like. I have been tucking into these things alongside all the other foods like meat and fish etc, but only up to a daily allowance of 20g (+3L water per day).

I have been told to cut the veggies, cream and cheese for a few days and see what happens. I feel a bit panicked at the moment cos when I read Atkins' book I had this little thought in the back of my mind that I would be in the small %age of people for whom this doesn't work. It would fit in with the fact that no other diet seems to shift weight of my anymore.

But I am NOT going to give up because for one thing I understand the science behind this WOE. It makes a lot more sense to me now than just cutting calories and putting your body into a fat storing mode!

Oh and BTW, no prescription meds, just the ones from the nutritionist doctor (the lactobac etc).

Thanks again for any advice.

Lottie