Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/300/210
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question How do you NOT go nuts on this diet?

A little history:

In March 2000, I was 313 lbs. I went on the Atkins diet for 2 months (no cheating at all) and lowered my weight down to 278 lbs.

I ALMOST LOST MY MIND. At that point, I had some SERIOUS cravings for carbs. So, I jumped off the wagon and have spent the last 18 months eating as many carbs as I could find. I brought myself up to 320 lbs.

I went on the Atkins diet about 3 weeks ago and am now back down to 300 lbs. HOWEVER, I'm beginning to get the cravings and want some brownies and toast!!!

How do I get over the cravings? I have no problem believing in the diet. IT works!! I did it myself, however, it just seems impossible to stay on it without loosing my mind .

Any suggestions?

Curtis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 13:40

BF:
Exclamation How do you get rid of the cravings???

A little history:

In March 2000, I was 313 lbs. I went on the Atkins diet for 2 months (no cheating at all) and lowered my weight down to 278 lbs.

I ALMOST LOST MY MIND. At that point, I had some SERIOUS cravings for carbs. So, I jumped off the wagon and have spent the last 18 months eating as many carbs as I could find. I brought myself up to 320 lbs.

I went on the Atkins diet about 3 weeks ago and am now back down to 300 lbs. HOWEVER, I'm beginning to get the cravings and want some brownies and toast!!!

How do I get over the cravings? I have no problem believing in the diet. IT works!! I did it myself, however, it just seems impossible to stay on it without loosing my mind.

Any suggestions?

Curtis
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 13:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Welcome

Hi Curtis, welcome to the forum. It's a great place for support and information.

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with the cravings. You're not alone, many people go through exactly the same thing. Are you taking supplements and vitamins to help? Drinking enough water? And are you eating enough? All these things could help with the cravings... It's not your body that wants the carbs its your brain.

This WOL helps you to un-learn and break old habits, and create new ones... If you stick with it those cravings will disappear.

If you start a journal in the "Journal/bootcamp" section of the forum we would be able to offer advice and suggestions that could help you.

Best of luck and congrats on coming back to LC
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 13:55

BF:
Default Vitamins-YES, Water-NO

I'm taking a vitamin suppliment. Actually 2. Centrum, and some other (all the vitamins your body needs) pill. I take one in the morning, and the other at night. I'm probably not drinking enough water. Actually, I just drink Diet Dr Pepper and Crystal Lite Drinks.

How much water should I be drinking in a given day?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 14:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Cravings ..

Welcome back to LowCarb, Curtis! You've done it before, you can do it again.

Cravings are very real .. and a number of reasons. You may have a serious carb addiction problem .. and one carb indulgence leads to another, leads to a binge. Or, you may be an emotional eater .. boredom and loneliness being two biggies.

Click on Low Carb Tips on the menu bar at the top of the page; about halfway down the page, you'll find my article dealing with Cravings. Every time you give in to the craving and eat sugar (white flour, bread and white rice = sugar) ... you create a vicious circle of high blood sugar, high insulin, low blood sugar, feel crappy, eat sugar ... and so on, and so on. You have to stop the circle. Sometimes it just boils down to making a choice.

It really helps to have lots of lowcarb food ready to grab, so that when you're hungry, you're not facing an empty fridge and cupboard, then heading out and buying whatever's fast to nuke and gobble down.

Why not pop into our Introductions forum, near the top of the main forums page ... say hello .. I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful suggestions, and a warm welcome. You've get lots of support here. All the best and keep us posted

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 16:37

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default aspartame is toxic.

curtis,
u need to becareful with these diet drinks which contain aspartame. aspartame may be causing your cravings. It may be 'diet' but it's just not good for you. You should be drinking alot of water and instead of aspartame use stevia, splenda... however not many products have these sweeteners ready-made.
Here's an eye-opening FAQ on aspatame and it's toxic side-effects http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/suffer.faq
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 17:15

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Vitamins-YES, Water-NO

Quote:
Originally posted by curtis_h
I'm probably not drinking enough water. Actually, I just drink Diet Dr Pepper and Crystal Lite Drinks. How much water should I be drinking in a given day?

Water is not only vital to the success of this WOL its also necessary for your body. You need 8 glasses a day, every day. That's 64oz. For weight loss the genearl rule is 8 more ounces for every 25lbs you want to lose. It may seem daunting at first, but think one glass at a time.

I agree with the advice to cut out the diet drinks. Asparatame can not only spark cravings, it can stall you. There are some drinks sweetened with Splenda and you might want to try them later. When i want something other than water I have a low sodium soda water with some lemon in it. I'll admit it can be an aquired taste but after low carbing you'll find your tastes will change. I cant stomach diet soda anymore, and I used to drink diet gingerale like there was no tomorrow.

Nat