Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 22:28

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default New research suggests ketogenic diet may play a role in treating schizophrenia.

Chronic Schizophrenia Put Into Remission Without Medication

New research suggests ketogenic diet may play a role in treating schizophrenia.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/...hout-medication
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 03:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

New research my low carb behind! This knowledge has been around for decades at least, buried in the many studies no one has paid attention to.

And will anyone really pay attention now? I'm sure this tactic will be offered as a last resort, after all the drugs have failed and the person's life is thoroughly destroyed.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 04:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is the update on Dr. Westman's case study first published in 2009. He has mentioned one was in the works. It updates her recovery and weight loss (she attends the local support group at times) and adds to it larger studies with further evidence.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 05:52
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

the movie "First Do No Harm" was released in 1997.
all about John Hopkins University that treats schizophrenia with a keto diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 06:21

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oops.

The film was about doctors ignoring ketogenic diets for epilepsy, causing harm to a particular boy. The filmed placed great emphasis on primum non nocere, or rather the lack of it in practice. The mother finally got her son to a doctor who put him on the diet. The boy did very well on the ketogenic diet.

There are still doctors refusing to put children with epilepsy on ketogenic diets.

Here is a link to different ketogenic diets at The Charlie Foundation .

Last edited by SilverEm : Mon, Apr-08-19 at 06:29.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 07:28

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Not only are people diagnosed with schizophrenia not given a keto diet to try, what they are usually given are drugs that cause diabetes and weight gain.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 07:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Despite what we're told by the very people who are managing the reality of the current medical approach by using pharmaceuticals as the primary, and in many cases, the only treatment, we are truly living in the dark ages of medicine. People used to become amused about the archaic and naive practice when learning that leeches were used in days gone by, our current practices are far more wide spread and damaging.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 08:55

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Not only are people diagnosed with schizophrenia not given a keto diet to try, what they are usually given are drugs that cause diabetes and weight gain.

So true! My nephew is schizophrenic and when he is off the meds - we call it on Mr. Toad's wild ride - skinny as a post. Put back on meds and he gains weight very quickly. However, the alternative (trying a ketogenic diet) is too much of a risk. Those episodes are scary and violent, for us and for him. He tried giving up soda (full sugar) and got the shakes - withdrawal - so bad that he went right back on. He did, however, give up beer. We're very proud of him for that.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 09:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
So true! My nephew is schizophrenic and when he is off the meds - we call it on Mr. Toad's wild ride - skinny as a post. Put back on meds and he gains weight very quickly. However, the alternative (trying a ketogenic diet) is too much of a risk. Those episodes are scary and violent, for us and for him. He tried giving up soda (full sugar) and got the shakes - withdrawal - so bad that he went right back on. He did, however, give up beer. We're very proud of him for that.

Yes, I realize that this can be a tricky balancing act and not everyone diagnosed with schizophrenia will or can be successful eating a keto diet. Still, it should be there as an option and there should be support for people attempting to limit their carbs instead of believing that the best and often only option is drugs.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 09:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Despite what we're told by the very people who are managing the reality of the current medical approach by using pharmaceuticals as the primary, and in many cases, the only treatment, we are truly living in the dark ages of medicine. People used to become amused about the archaic and naive practice when learning that leeches were used in days gone by, our current practices are far more wide spread and damaging.

I agree. Sitting with my friend in rehab, looking at what she was given to eat, I could only think how wrong so much of our medical knowledge is, especially when it comes to nutrition and disease, and how much widespread damage it was doing.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 09:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It's not perfect, but I do think a higher fat ratio ketogenic diet is helping me with schizoaffective/bipolar issues. Auditory hallucinations are pretty much gone. Recently I've noticed that fasting/undereating seems to ramp up the paranoid/social anxiety side of things, even on keto, when going out in public or at work. Making sure I get enough heavy cream, and even getting some nuts and cream cheese etc. in seems to help. On standard Atkins nuts were fattening for me, the higher fat ratios seem to be slimming enough that the lower carb nuts like pecans and brazil nuts work.

I have a rough theory that I'm just responding differently to the stress response versus fasting, right now. There've been times when fasting made me less anxious, and times when it's made me more.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 10:31

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Maybe lowering carbs, bit by bit, would help, rather than a drastic change. I thought of Wolfgang Lutz's book, Life Without Bread.

Here is an excerpt from the write-up on Dr. Lutz's diet recommendations here at lowcarb.ca :

Lutz and Allan do recommend, however, that older people (60+) or those with autoimmune conditions like lupus and asthma gradually lower their carb intake over a period of a few weeks to avoid overstimulus of the immune system and an aggravation of existing conditions.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 12:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
Maybe lowering carbs, bit by bit, would help, rather than a drastic change. I thought of Wolfgang Lutz's book, Life Without Bread.

Here is an excerpt from the write-up on Dr. Lutz's diet recommendations here at lowcarb.ca :

Lutz and Allan do recommend, however, that older people (60+) or those with autoimmune conditions like lupus and asthma gradually lower their carb intake over a period of a few weeks to avoid overstimulus of the immune system and an aggravation of existing conditions.

Oh, well. Three months into keto and I guess it’s a moot point now! And it is helping tremendously with my autoimmune. Also, I wasn’t coming from the SAD.