Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I just got my first order from Netrition -- they're fast! (flax oil, Keto shake mix, and two packets of something called Flax-o-Meal.)

I had that for my midafternoon snack instead of salami -- which is probably a nutritionally better deal. It's cereal -- just add hot water. 1/2 cup -- which is plenty -- is 2 grams effective carbs (as there are 10 grams of fiber). I was hoping this would be a solution to the "I'm sick of eggs" problem, but....I have never tasted anything so unsweet in my life. I never put sugar on oatmeal, but this was...unsweet. anti-sweet. Not bitter, just..unsweet. Think I'll buy some splenda. Otherwise, if you're a cereal lover I'd recommend this. It sure tastes real! I remember reading that the Bog Man found in England (buried about 1000 years before they dug him up) had flax meal in his stomach. This is probably what he was eating ! (Of course, if other more experienced people have found something harmful about this, I'll retract my recommendation.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:

I just got my bag of Vanilla Almond this week. I did add a little cream, butter and Brown Sugar Twin to it to make it more palpatible for me, though!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:21

BF:

How many cups of Brown Sugar Twin did it need, Kirkwood?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Question I'm curious ....

Can either of you list the detailed Ingredients list on this Flax-O-Meal? I'd like to know if it is straight ground flaxseed (a.k.a. flaxseed meal, which can be bought in a health food store and probably cheaper) or if anything else of nutritional significance has been added, and you would be sharing some valuable information with the rest of us

Much appreciated!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:47

BF:

Island Girl, the ingredients are:

wheat bran, flax seed meal, isolate soy protein, almonds, artificial and natural flavors, salt. (This is the almond vanilla one.)

They list serving size, 1/2 cup
Calories 143

Total Fat 7 g
Total carbs 12 g
Dietary fiber 10 g (this has not been subtracted, according to the label, so net 2 g, again, according to the label)
Protein 11 g

I think this is made by real people; it comes in a foil pack, and there's no branding. Just Low Carb Success! at the top of the label on the front.

A pack has 10 servings -- I forget the cost, but it wasn't high, or I wouldn't have bought it

(It does not have a bad taste, or an aftertaste, to my taste buds. I'll try it again, with an artificial sweetener or maybe a DaVinci syrup. I'm happy to have it, for the flax and for the fiber.)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 18:23
Registered Member

Cool way cool

Thanks, Alto.

With an ingredient list like that (nice and 'clean'), I can probably whip up a version for myself... and so can many others.

MUCH appreciated.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Alto. I didn't save my bag - it went straight into a tupperware container.

About a tablespoon or so of Brown Sugar Twin was all it took to get it to work for me. IG - if you come up with a comperable recipie, please post it. I thought it was a little expensive - about $10 a bag on netrition.com.

Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 18:49
Registered Member

Default sure....

Will do, Kirkwood.

I gather a bag has 5 Cups (10 servings, 1/2 Cup each) and I have the ingredients now (thanks again, Alto)... one last question and then I can go experiment... what's the total weight of the bag's contents (or the weight per serving) ?

Then I can actually 'cost' the recipe and see if it's worth it.

Thanks, all.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:14

BF:

You're welcome

The total weight of the package is 14 ounces.

It's distributed by Supreme Products, by the way. 1-800-348-5821

(Re price, to me, slightly-less-than-$1 a serving is reasonable. I wouldn't want to buy the ingredients individually, much less try to mix them.)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Alto, does the thought of adding a bit of cream and butter to it appeal to you? I make a flax porridge and with some cinamon, butter and cream its quite yummy.

Just a thought
Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 20:59

BF:

Thank you, Nat. I did add butter. It didn't help -- and this is from someone who should have picked Buttercup as her "handle." It's a very odd taste.

I realized, late last night, what the taste is -- it's twigs! I know this isn't very original -- it's a cliche that health foods taste like twigs. But every cliche is based in truth I haven't munched on twigs since I was 5 or 6, so it took awhile for the taste to come back, but it did.

Even garlic, onions AND butter won't help twigs.

I will say that it sticks to the ribs, though. For 143 calories, plus about 100 of butter, it lasts a long time.

Last edited by alto : Thu, Nov-08-01 at 10:03.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ckd
Stats: 190/175/130
BF:
Progress: 25%

I think it tastes like a cross between grapenuts and pencils.

but in a good way.

it is very good for you and with some extra cinnamon (I use the cinnamon/spice flavor), butter, cream and splenda, it is quite yummy.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:57
Registered Member

Default twigs n pencils

Quote:
the taste is -- it's twigs!

Quote:
tastes like a cross between grapenuts and pencils

It's still on my task list to come up with a recipe for Flax-O-Meal (with the same basic ingredients and counts) ... but I think I'll pass on duplicating the flavour!

Just as an aside, I believe the TWIGS flavour comes from the flaxseed meal (often described as somewhat 'grassy and woody' in taste) and the the PENCILS flavour from the wheat bran, which is very ICK on its own (ICK is a technical term for us foodies).

Sure sounds like the flavourings need a lot of work! Maybe a little feedback to the producing company, you two buyers? They might appreciate it.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:11

BF:

Judi, I'll try to come up with a nice way to say, "Hi! I recently purchased your product and I just love it, but it tastes like twigs!"

I'll be interested to learn what you add to YOUR version to make it palatable. Personalyl, I think anything under 4 tablespoons of honey, it will taste like twigs, and with the honey, it will taste like HoneyCoated Twigs.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 22:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Eating Sand

I recently purchased the cinnamon spice, butterpecan and vanilla almond and the butterpecan is definitely the best of the 3. I add 1 packet of splenda and 1-2 pats of butter. I really like it and it only took 3 days to arrive and it costs only $9.69 per bag at www.carbsmart.com - they are the cheapest place I have seen for LC products.

As my coworkers look at me eating, they've all come to the conclusion "oh the poor girl is now eating sand - and then they offer to buy me some bacon" I of course shoot my evil looks and tell them to watch me eat sand now and watch me show off my new body come summer.

Flax omeal is a great substitute for oatmeal!

Shannon