Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 18:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 252/237/199 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress:
Default This is bread is too good to be true. Help me prove it

Hello,

I have purchased what is either an amazing product or a terrible fraud.

The Simple Treat Bakery in Pittsburgh sells though its store, and area GNCs something called "waterbread" and "waterbagels" (pizza crusts too). They insist their bagels clock in at a Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture confirmed 4 carbs.

The bread is similarly low, and as someone who has tried a variety of products that range from OK to awful over the past ten years, I cannot believe that this true Italian bread, and almost cakey white bagel could possibly be what it is claiming.

I am looking for advice about how to get a product tested for its carb count, and any other comments you have.

Please believe me when i tell you that if this is true, you would be blown away by the taste. While I was in the store I observed a customer buying 12 preordered sleeves of bagels. I am really trying to make this work, and it might be the difference between sabotage, and a lifelong possibility of commitment.

Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 18:05
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Does it list the ingredients in it? That might give you a clue as to why the carb count is lower than the taste would lead you to believe.

I don’t know of any labs you can send it to in order to have the carb count verified but some people here test their blood sugar after eating certain things (I’m thinking of dreamfields pasta) in order to see the effect of their sugar levels - if you have a blood testing kit, that might help.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 18:24

BF:
Progress:

Actually I have seen other posts on the topic of this product. The problem I have is that the 3 macronutrients don't add up to the 70 calories claimed by the label.

So since I don't know if the carb count is wrong I called the owner who INSISTED they had 4 carbs. If that's true then something is mislabeled.

I was hoping to find a "watchdog" resource
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 205.5/192/175 Female 70 inches
BF:-%/35%/-%
Progress: 44%

This is a hidden carb counter that I use sometimes - there's a good explanation for how it's used on the site. Let us know what you find out!

Hidden Carb Counter
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 20:47
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdownbeat
Hello,

I have purchased what is either an amazing product or a terrible fraud.

The Simple Treat Bakery in Pittsburgh sells though its store, and area GNCs something called "waterbread" and "waterbagels" (pizza crusts too). They insist their bagels clock in at a Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture confirmed 4 carbs.

The bread is similarly low, and as someone who has tried a variety of products that range from OK to awful over the past ten years, I cannot believe that this true Italian bread, and almost cakey white bagel could possibly be what it is claiming.

I am looking for advice about how to get a product tested for its carb count, and any other comments you have.

Please believe me when i tell you that if this is true, you would be blown away by the taste. While I was in the store I observed a customer buying 12 preordered sleeves of bagels. I am really trying to make this work, and it might be the difference between sabotage, and a lifelong possibility of commitment.

Thanks to all.

Which GNC?......i'll try it and test my blood sugar.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 21:39

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the responses:

Ginny, the hidden carb counter is a valuable tool. I cant assume though, that the calories listed are accurate. If they are, it would mean there are actually 13 carbs and not 4.

Kevin, the bread, bagels and pizza crust are located at the GNC in Weirton (ask for the low carb stuff from Simple Treat), perhaps prohibitively far, and you might call the bakery at 412-681-0303 to find something closer. I am coming through for a big order and id love to know the reality of the sugar load. If it works out for you I know you'll be pleased, the products are fantastic.

If anyone else has info on how to get a food tested I'd love to send it somewhere.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 22:00
Kitchen Experimenter

Well the GNC in Washington PA has a similar setup with a bakery called "Tastefully Delicious" I have a price list in front of me that I got from the GNC and their breads show the same carb counts as you mentioned. I found this a few weeks ago but when I when to the GNC they were out and had a broken refrigerator. My reaction was the same as yours though....."is this too good to be true?" Let me ask you.......were the price of most of the breads $5.99 a loaf? And did they list a bunch of low carb sweets also?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 22:05

BF:
Progress:

Could be a similar product, though I know the bakery in Pitt is huge and sends to different GNC's. I wouldnt know about the bakery you refer to...but the prices sound right
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 22:30
Kitchen Experimenter

ok well i'll get some and test my blood glucose......I know what regular bread does to it so I should be able to tell if its low carb.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 08:24

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 210/210/165 Female 5'5
BF:Don't know
Progress: 0%

please post it when you get your results from your blood sugar test i am very curios. good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 11:21
Kitchen Experimenter

I got in touch with the bakery today and will be going directly to the bakery to pick up a loaf each of Italian,wheat,cinnamon raisin,rye,white,veggie,and tomato basil bread at 3pm tomorrow when they will all be fresh. I'll post my first reading tomorrow evening.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 12:36

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your efforts Kevin. Sadly, I think you are going to a different bakery than I mentioned. Simple Treat in Squirrel Hill makes Italian, Bagels, and Pizza crust only according to them.

Hopefully you or someone in the area will have an opportunity to test the products at some point.

Kevin
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 12:50
Kitchen Experimenter

no i had quite a chat with the baker. They are associated but not the same bakery. I believe they use the same recipe and flour.....I'll find out more tomorrow.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 13:40

Plan: Mod. Atkins
Stats: 175/153/148 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
I got in touch with the bakery today and will be going directly to the bakery to pick up a loaf each of Italian,wheat,cinnamon raisin,rye,white,veggie,and tomato basil bread at 3pm tomorrow when they will all be fresh. I'll post my first reading tomorrow evening.

WOW, that's a lotta bread!! Are you going to sample all of it?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 14:31
Kitchen Experimenter

no I plan on freezing some since the bakery is about 25 miles from my home. not a trip I want to make when I need a loaf a bread......lol and if it turns out to be carby and effect my blood sugar then I'll feed it to the birds in my feeders.