Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 16:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 391.8/379.8/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Pizza Toppng Casserole

Does anyone have a good recipe for a Pizza Topping Casserole? No crusts, just a throw everything in the baking dish and bake type of recipe.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 17:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Yummy, You've got a great idea there. I experimented with some breakfast with sausage and greens (turnip usually) and started to think about making something that tasted like the toppings on a pizza. Here's two ideas that might work. You could lay some spinach or greens down in a baking dish, saute some onions, bell peppers, garlic etc and set aside. Cook up and slice some fresh Italian sausage. Get your favorite melting cheese and maybe some sliced olives if you like those. Since most of the ingredients would be pre-cooked a bit the oven time would be low and mostly used to heat the dish and melt the cheese. I'm not much of an oven guy but I suppose I'd cook in oven for 10 mins or so? Oven Guys and Gals HELP!

I'd also consider making sure there were enough greens on the bottom of pan to soak up all the sausage grease I'd ladle over the sausage and sauteed vegtables, then add the cheese and olives. I also used some chili sauce for the "pizza sauce" mixed in. Maybe you could also layer some pepperoni in there too, wow, I'm getting hungry making this up ahah!

Here's 2 breakfast things that you might look at for ideas. They were good and I overdosed on the cheese a bit.

Pizza Top Breakfast I

Pizza Top Breakfast II

Good Luck, sound like a great dinner idea!

EDIT: Oh yea don't forget sprinkle some oregano or favorite Italian spices before oven.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 17:19

BF:

Oops, looks like this got postedinto the wrong form,maybe the sysadmins can help out. Sorry. here's the rules for this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163693

read stickys - there good info there.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 19:25

BF:

GOD does that look so good!!!! Thank you so much..
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 19:27

BF:

Hubs is wanting pizza badly....so I am trying to head off that running train if you know what I mean...Sausage is one of my favorite things... those look beyond delicious...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 20:17

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Have a look in the recipes section on this site for Deep Dish Pizza Quiche, Yummy. It's the absolute best
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 20:20

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

There are also recipes where people just mix up a bunch of shredded cheese with some egg and bake it first for the crust, then there are cauliflower crust versions that work for some people, and then you can also google "meatza" which is like ground seasoned beef and cheese for the crust I think. I don't have the links to hand so you'll have to do a little research, but there are a bunch of variations out there that people love... so you can definitely get experimenting in the kitchen! But the deep dish pizza quiche is delicious, easy, and not labor intensive at all
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 23:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie
Have a look in the recipes section on this site for Deep Dish Pizza Quiche, Yummy. It's the absolute best

I think this is the link for it. I'll need to try this. Looks good for bringing to work!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-16, 12:10

BF:

Thank you so much Thud and Honeypie.. you guys are absolute dolls...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-16, 19:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yummy, I think this is one of those recipes where you *don't* need a recipe, because it depends on how you'd like it and what ingredients. If you wanted mushrooms, for example, you'd probably want to sautee them to get the water out. If you're using raw Italian sausage, you'd want to crumble and cook that (obviously) perhaps with the mushrooms. If the sausage was already fully cooked and you sauteed it, you'd probably overcook it and turn it to leather. One of those 'judgement call' things for me. Same with onions, if you were going to add them: would you prefer them barely cooked with some crunch, cooked, or totally browned/caramelized?

If I wanted to bake it, I'd make sure the topping ingredients were cooked first. Sautee in a pan or something. I'm thinking mushrooms, sausage, bell peppers. Once it's not watery at all, combine it with some tomato sauce in your baking dish. Add cheese, then bake uncovered until the cheese is browning and bubbly.

I'd use my cast iron pan. I'd sautee the sausage and mushrooms until the moisture was mostly evaporated. Then add peppers. If I were using chunks of pepperoni as opposed to slices, I'd probably sautee them at the end for a few minutes. Otherwise, I'd just mix in pepperoni slices right before combining in the sauce. Mix the sauce in, add the cheese, then bake it until heated through. I'd broil it at the end until the cheese was bubbly.

Have fun - it's pizza, you can't go wrong.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 13:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

this isn't a casserole, but i love to use a hollowed out portebllo mushroom or half a bell pepper, then add sauce, cheese, toppings.....broil until bubbly, then add seasonings like parmesan, crushed red pepper, etc....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 14:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Yummy, I think this is one of those recipes where you *don't* need a recipe, because it depends on how you'd like it and what ingredients. If you wanted mushrooms, for example, you'd probably want to sautee them to get the water out. If you're using raw Italian sausage, you'd want to crumble and cook that (obviously) perhaps with the mushrooms. If the sausage was already fully cooked and you sauteed it, you'd probably overcook it and turn it to leather. One of those 'judgement call' things for me. Same with onions, if you were going to add them: would you prefer them barely cooked with some crunch, cooked, or totally browned/caramelized?

If I wanted to bake it, I'd make sure the topping ingredients were cooked first. Sautee in a pan or something. I'm thinking mushrooms, sausage, bell peppers. Once it's not watery at all, combine it with some tomato sauce in your baking dish. Add cheese, then bake uncovered until the cheese is browning and bubbly.

I'd use my cast iron pan. I'd sautee the sausage and mushrooms until the moisture was mostly evaporated. Then add peppers. If I were using chunks of pepperoni as opposed to slices, I'd probably sautee them at the end for a few minutes. Otherwise, I'd just mix in pepperoni slices right before combining in the sauce. Mix the sauce in, add the cheese, then bake it until heated through. I'd broil it at the end until the cheese was bubbly.

Have fun - it's pizza, you can't go wrong.

You know my problem is I don't have a working oven.. so I have to cook everything first...then put it all together...and microwave it for the cheese to melt.. So I will definitely cook everything...I never ever thought about the mushrooms giving off the water.....that is a great tip for me.. cause sometimes I do end up with watery dishes and it really angers me LOLOL!!! but I think your right, I will just have some fun and see what happens, it can't be bad....right??? I used to buy a real pizza, and then make those low carb crusts.. and then transfer the toppings on that low carb crust....
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 14:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
this isn't a casserole, but i love to use a hollowed out portebllo mushroom or half a bell pepper, then add sauce, cheese, toppings.....broil until bubbly, then add seasonings like parmesan, crushed red pepper, etc....

WOW That sounds awesome...I would have to cook the mushrooms first to get them nice and tender...and then fill it and put the cheese in and cover the pan.. well that sounds great too! You I discovered I think 3 weeks ago that I love the raw taste of mushroom stems.. is that crazy or what!!! Thank you for the Mushroom recipe that is definitely going on the Sunday list!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 17:17

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Ground almond meal can be a base, very "crust-like." Most recipes suggest baking the almond layer first, but I just spread a layer of almond meal in a glass baking dish, dot with bits of butter, and season with ground pepper or Italian herbs. Then cover with slices of cheese, sprinkle with sliced onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, or whatever veggies you like and bake. Maybe drizzle a little olive oil on it too. Pepper jack cheese is really good if you want something spicy.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 18:51

BF:

Pazia that sounds delish...unfortunately my oven hasn't worked for 2 years.. I also love that Linda's low carb thin crust pizza...