Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 17:21

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 185/170/135
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Why I appreciate SomerSweet

I am in this place in my life where I still need dessert each night. It is my second snack of the day. I tried to avoid a sweet treat each night, but it really seems to help me to have it. I am finding that if I do not have a SomerSweet dessert prepared, I will eat sugar. So, SomerSweet is keeping me off of sugar. They claim it does not spike insulin levels, and that it is safe. It's main ingredients are fructose and mung bean fiber. It does have a chemical in it: acesulfame, which I know nothing about. I have 1/2 teaspoon of SomerSweet in my decaf mocha's each morning to sweeten the cocoa, and probably about the same each night in whatever dessert I am having. This is a minute quantity of carbs. I feel this product is healthy, as well as common-sense and practical. It tastes amazing. I have made mock rice pudding and ice cream with it so far. I have just ordered the SS cookbook. I have sent them an email asking for verification of the safety of the product, as well as the no-insulin response factor. I feel like I have found my cake and can eat it too. It makes this program absolutely and totally perfect. I was heavily addicted to sugar and carbs for too many years. Allowing myself SomerSweet treats fills an emotional need, as well as satisfying my sweet tooth. I have had NO problem with portion control. It has NEVER made me crave real sugar. If the dessert requires additional carbs or protein, I just add nuts or fruit. What I am trying to say here, is that I have found something that really works for me and helps me. I am certain that the longer I Schwarzbein, and the more in balance my metabolism becomes, that I won't NEED sweet treats every day. But for now, eating 1/2 an apple with a piece of string cheese, although GREAT for an afternoon snack, just does not cut it for an evening dessert. That's my story. Thanks for listening! Hope I inspired someone.

Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 20:13

BF:
Question

What? No comments at all from any body? What could it mean?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 06:03

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Sorry Judy!

I think if it works for you and you are happy with your weight loss and feel energetic and well... then obviously you have found something that works for you! We all have things that we use to get through dealing with cravings etc...personally, mine addictive food of choice changes on a regular basis - first it was mock danish, followed by cheesecake, followed by smoked almonds, now macadamia nuts!

Keep up the good work...and as long as you are aware of why you are doing it then that is more than half the battle.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 08:53

BF:

Thanks, Lisa. I wonder if anyone else feels the same way I do, or has come to the same conclusions for themselves. It is interesting that Suzanne Somers claims SomerSweet is chemical free. My guess is there are trace amounts in it that don't have to be worried about? I'm still waiting to hear if the product truly does not spike an insulin response. But you use so little of it - 1/4 a teaspoon is a serving, that it is hard to imagine it can do any harm.

I am now reading this book called Taming the Feast Beast - it is the Rational Recovery approach to getting in control of eating habits. So far, so good. I think it is going to be a good read, and helpful.

Judy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 10:29

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Judy...

I'll be interested to find out what you learn. FYI - what may not spike one person's insulin might cause terrible cravings in someone else. Some people are so sensitive that even trace amounts of sugar can lead to cravings, bloating etc. I guess what I'm saying is that this is definitely a YMMV thing and if you are comfortable with how you eat then go for it!

When I first started this WOL I needed sweetened stuff to get through. Now I can live without it most of the time.

Keep up the great work!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 07:41

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 165/145/140
BF:
Progress: 80%
Smile reply to Ayaju

Ayaju, I totally relate to you! I do not eat processed sugar. i have been using SSweet for about a month. i have the dessert book. i've made quite a few recipes in it. my problem is with the old sweet tooth too. If i don't get something sweet (legal-ssweetened) , then i will reach for the real candy bar. i have a problem though. i was eating too many SS desserts and having too much saturated fat. alot of her desserts have heavy cream in them. i used to chat in the SS chat room, but came over to try TSP because SS doesn't teach about the different types of fat and that you shouldn't eat too much saturated fat (bacon, bacon, bacon) Do you understand?
Write back. i want to hear your comments.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/195/145
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Judy! Saw your notes and I also use SSWEET! I absolutely LOVE her cookbook...I have ALL of them and use many of the recipes when I'm having company. I DO, however, limit my use of SSWEET because I find that it still keeps my 'sweet tooth' active. What I try to do is to save it for those times when I know I'm going to be tempted. For example, this past week I had two 'trigger' occasions...a b'day celebration for a friend, and another for my daughter. I make a Somers NY Cheesecake (it is FANTASTIC!! as is the CARMEL version!) and I cut it into servings and freeze it. It freezes fairly well (the consistency isn't quite as good as 'fresh'...but good) and it allows me to have something handy when the 'need' becomes too strong. I do, however, find that once I've had a piece...it will have a little sugar craving for a day or two...not too bad, but I suspect there is some 'trigger' in it due to the fructose. Another 'trick' I've learned is to make her Chocolate Mousse and freeze it on a wax paper-lined pan in tiny...maybe 1-2 tsp...mounds. I put these little mounds in a freezer bag when frozen solid, and if I get an overwhelming urge for chocolate (like at 'tom'), I just pop one! I would be careful with all this...I found that I was quickly eating WAY too many carbs and getting back in the sweet habit. I've been without ANY sweetner for about a month now, and don't crave it unless I have one of these substitutes. Even then, the craving goes away quickly...so you might want to try 'purging' all sweetness for a week or two and then use the SSWEET in moderation. Good luck with it...and pls. post anything you learn from the Somers folks. I'll be interested!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 12:21

BF:

I got an email from the SS people saying they would respond to my questions in a week or so.

I am remembering from the TSP book that saturated fat is perfectly fine. That it is healthy. In a video I saw of an TV interview with Dr. Schwarzbein, she emphasized how healthy and necessary it is to eat plenty of fat. She said that she eats butter like cheese. She said that heavy whipping cream is good for you. I eat bacon twice a month, and I eat about 7 slices. I found a nitrate/additive-free kind that I like a lot. It is not too salty either. What I watch out for is not to damage the fat, which causes toxicity, by cooking things slowly and not on too high heat.

I made a batch of vanilla ice cream the other day. All that is in it is heavy whipping cream, SomerSweet, and pure vanilla extract. I did not make it with eggs this time. It sure freezes hard in storage in the freezer. I have to nuke the container I put it in for a minute to be able to chisle some out. It is very crumbly, but very good. TSP does not count any carbs from cream, so I sprinkle some chopped nuts over the ice cream to get the balance of protein/fat/carbs. I can't even eat more than 1/2 cup of the ice cream, which thrills me.

I figure I will continue to be gentle with myself, and one day, I won't feel the NEED for dessert every night.

Thanks for writing!

Judy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 12:46

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Progress: 39%
Thumbs down Sweet trigger

Last night, I had some meringue buttons made with maltitol, and although my initial plan was to eat only 2, I ended up eating 10....and wanted more!! Almost 18 hours later, I'm still craving something sweet. I know that if I consume ANYTHING sweet, I usually end up craving sweets for hours, maybe even days afterwards....and yet I still can't resist reaching for them if it's in the house.....pitiful!! If I can only convince my hubby to give them up, I'd be alright for the most part. I occassionally use splenda for cooking, and as long as I use a lot of fats in the same meal, I don't seem to get further cravings. Weird, huh?

#10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 16:12

BF:

Hi. Here is the reply I received via email to my questions about SomerSweet. I didn't get all my quesitons answered, but it is a pretty good affirmation about the product being a good sweetener choice. I continue to do fine with it. I am enjoying my desserts each night, and I feel really good about eating them! It is nice not to feel jealous or deprived when my family is eating Ben and Jerry's ice cream!

Judy

"Please check out all the specific details on SomerSweet. There is a link on the home page to the SomerSweet information. This product was thoroughly tested, in fact that iw what delayed the original release of it. Whenever someone has health issues we always must recommend they discuss the use of any product with their phusician. This is okay to use on a daily basis. As with anything we suggest using it in moderation. Suzanne has long said that aspartame is not good for you and that it raises insulin levels even though many others do not want to believe that. SomerSweet does not raise insulin levels. If you check the ingredients you will wee that the only chemical in it is a very minute amount.

Good Luck!

Your Somersizing Representative"