Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:49

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 168/158:)/135 Female 5'6 and 1/4"
BF:38%/34%/20%?
Progress: 26%
Default RASH! ugggh. Type one Diabetic

I have a rash around the my bottom lip and the corners of my mouth which gets worse when my sugars are high, but since i've had good bsl's (blood sugar levels) the rash has not gone away--it's always red and irritated. I've tried everything to treat it--yeast cream, vaseline, cortisone--the latter of which worked for a couple days, but it just keeps coming back. I'm T1 diabetic for the past 12 years and this rash has been pestering me for the past 3 years...has anyone else had such problems? I don't even wear lipstick anymore because I don't want to risk irritating it (instead I use petroleum jelly). Over the past year I've also stopped using Tom's toothpaste and I only use baking soda to brush my teeth (per the advice of my dermatologist) but that hasn't helped. If you have ANY suggestions I would truly appreciate your replies...or if you would just like to commiserate a little
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 15:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

What does your dermatologist think that it is? I've always been prone to "unexplained" rashes, but nothing like that and it does certainly sound like a fungal/yeast type rash, especially given that it gets worse when your blood sugars are elevated. Have you ever tried an anti-yeast dietary regimen?
Something I've always had a problem with is redness, flaking and itching near my eyebrows and around my nose. My current doctor finally said, you know that's seborrheic dermatitis and we have a cream that will clear that up in a hurry. It's called ketoconozole cream and it worked like a charm. It might not be advisable near your mouth, though, since it's quite toxic if you ingest it and you also need a prescription for it.
I'd still suggest working with your dermatologist to figure out what this is and then find the best treatment for it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 23:13

thanks for the reply Lisa. I have tried a yeast treatment/ointment before and it didn't work...it actually made it more inflammed and itchy. But I have never tried a yeast-free diet (at least not consciously, obviously, I'm not eating bread right now) what does that involve...or exclude rather? Anyway, I'm looking for a new dermatologist in the NYC area (which shouldn't be hard, but I've had 3 so far and none have been able to help me). I actually just discovered today that I have a rash in the shape of a circle on the back of my neck so I really need to see a dermatologist and find out what's going on. THanks again, I will definitely ask about the Ketoconozole cream...do you still suffer from the dryness and flaking or did that restore your skin to health? do you continue to use it?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 00:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

You mentioned trying everything but an antibiotic cream or ointment - has that been tried? Maybe it's some kind of bacterial infection?

Karen D.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Have you tried Elidel cream - a prescription medicine? It is for eczema. Another possibility is a vitamin B deficiency. You might try a vit B (mixture of all the B's) supplement. I think diabetics and anyone who eats low carb (skipping all the grains, beans, etc) are missing many of the B vitamins. B6 deficiency is characterized by, among other things, glucose intolerance, cracking of the lips and tongue, seborrhea and eczema. It is critically important in the proper functioning of mucous membranes and skin. Biotin is another important B vitamin that helps with skin and diabetes.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
do you still suffer from the dryness and flaking or did that restore your skin to health? do you continue to use it?

It didn't "cure" me, but at this point I only need to use it once in a great while when I get a flare up, usually in the very dry months of the winter.
Has your dermatologist ever done a biopsy or a skin scraping to see if there are any pathogens present in the skin there that could explain your symptoms? Of course, we always have bacteria and yeast present on our skin, but a pathologist would be able to tell if something was not right in the tissue sample.
See this link for an explanation of the "anti yeast" diet: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/11/28-709329.html
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:37

Hey all--
I have tried an antibiotic cream and that didn't work either--it made it VERY itchy and red. I've been hearing about Elidel for a couple of weeks now and I'm interested in trying it because it is supposedly steriod-free. I don't have any other signs of vit B deficiency that you mentioned. I've been taking vitamin B-complex in the liquid form (about 2x's a week in addition to my daily vitamins)--but i'll consider uping the ante. As soon as I can get a Rx I will try it. My dermatologist has never taken a skin sample--but as I said, he's not very good and I'm looking for another. Thanks again people.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/155/120 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hello BonBonNY, Try oil of oregano. I had a rash and couldn't figure out how I got it, did a lot of research and the rash could of been associated by a prolonged yeast infection which did not know I could get by having diabetes.But I took the oil of oregano and I'd say after a week and a half the rash was gone.I took the liquid form it doesn't taste very good but if you dilute in water you can get it down. It also comes in gelcap form but it may be alittle more costly. I got mine at GNC called Herbal Plus standardized Oil Of Oregano 0.5 fl oz bottle.for about 16.99 It wouldn't hurt to try it you can also do a search engine it has other benifits also.Good luck to you if you try it let us know if it cleared it up.

Last edited by corona806 : Sun, Jun-06-04 at 14:47.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 00:16

Plan: none yet
Stats: 146/146/120 Female 61
BF:28%
Progress: 0%
Default RASH! ugggh. Type one Diabetic

Curious - have you tried acidophilus internally. Helps my "yeasty" outbreaks. Wonder if it might help your rash. Usually takes about 3 days for relief and about 10 to be gone.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 01:29

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Cranberries in whatever form are supposed to help avoid this sort of problem..and be of assistance if you have it....juice, caps & tabs (I think). I also have heard of using acidophilus yoghurt.

Cheers...Eve
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 23:34

Plan: bernstein's
Stats: 258/238/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Lightbulb i may be of some help with this rash...

i had the same thing! it lasted off and on for about two years! this was before my diabetes diagnosis. i tried all the creams and dermatologists' suggestions including steriod creams etc and you know what i found??? it was the sodium lauryl sulfate in my toothpaste causing it!!!! now i use Kiss My Face aloe with no SLS and i am fine (except for the dx of diabetes-lol!)

look up perioral dermatitis in a good search engine and you can see pics. in any case you are not out much in making the switch!

good luck

pat