Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2896   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 09:49
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura W
Lisa, this is not LC, but are you in one of those parts of NY that has 10 ft. of snow? That is so mind boggling-I can't imagine and it would be so scarey!!!

I'm actually lucky in that I'm in a spot in NY that has been pretty mild. Out in the western part (Rochester/Syracuse/Buffalo) they have ridiculous amonts of accumulation. I'm in the Westchester County area (1+ hours by train north of NYC) and today we have some snow accumulation and a "wintry mix". Ice has been pelting the house all night so I'm really glad for the snow day!
Sponsored Links
  #2897   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-induction
Stats: 177/177/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Larry, thanks for the hint about chopping up the sardines...I may do that and serve as an appetizer with LC crackers...hubby eats anything, so even if I dont like it I know he probably will.

Lisa, I am in Jersey so I am getting the same storm today, also glad for the snow day....wish it was real snow instead of ice and slush....what a mess..
  #2898   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 18:01

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajic
Larry, thanks for the hint about chopping up the sardines.
You are welcome, tmajic.

I should tell you ladies that I live alone and do not cook. SO, if it doesn’t come out of a can or similar that can be shot in the micro wave, it doesn’t get eaten by me. The sardines for breakfast was about the simplest thing I was able to come up that fit the PP/PPLP WoE. I have a bunch of Stoffer’s plastic plates from their TV dinners. They have a steep side that is perfect for keeping the oil in. I am quite satisfied with the “dish” I have come up with. But I bet that some of the “cooks” here could make it even better, using the casserole concept that Lisa used, which I never thought of but will use next time I tell someone about my breakfast.
  #2899   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 07:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

Larry, thanks for sharing your breakfast idea. It sounds interesting. I'm a real advocate of eating the same thing all the time. I tell myself it's lazy! lol I also tell myself that I'm lazy when I want a snack in the eveing. I tell myself I'm just to lazy right now to get it, maybe next commercial, and then I end up forgetting! My favorite breakfast is 1 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberies) with 1/4 cup flax meal, 1/2 cup roasted pecans or walnuts, cinnamon (lots) and spenda. mmmm, I could eat it 3 times a day, and have lots of times! I think eating the same thing cuts cravings, and takes my interest in food away. As long as it's something I like.
  #2900   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-induction
Stats: 177/177/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Songberrie,

I would love to eat the same thing over and over, but Atkins suggests not doing that, I remember the book saying it would not produce results and he really made a point of saying NOT to eat the same thing over and over. So I am wondering if you are on maintenance or are you still losing??
  #2901   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 11:15

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

after a while eggs just gag me too - a couple of times a week I eat "dinner" for breakfast. I just cook up a chop or eat leftover steak/turkey/chicken for breakfast. My fave is a chicken breast with some herbs and a tiny bit of parmesan cheese re-heated in the morning. Sometimes I make several at a time and keep them in the freezer for a quick microwave breakfast.

I like quiche, or a baked custard for breakfast but I've not been eating dairy (except for the occasional dash or parmesan) so that's been out. This morning I ate leftover turkey.
  #2902   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 11:41
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajic
Songberrie,

I would love to eat the same thing over and over, but Atkins suggests not doing that, I remember the book saying it would not produce results and he really made a point of saying NOT to eat the same thing over and over. So I am wondering if you are on maintenance or are you still losing??

As I understood it, Songberrie was maintaining wonderfullly...and is also an exercise rock star! LOL

As for me, I realize it may not be "good" to eat the same things over and over again...but in some cases, I do. I have the same kind of coffee for breakfast every morning...and nearly every morning I enjoy cage-free eggs and nitrate free bacon. I just love it and it's a wonderful way to hold me for a long time. I don't see any reason to change it on principle.

However, your point is well made Tmajic, because I do try to mix up the rest of my day a lot...often avoiding alchohol (though haven't given it up completely)...keeping the nuts and cheese at bay (except yesterday's Valentine's extravaganza, yikes!)...that sort of thing. I try to mix up the types of protein I have...beef, chicken, pork, lamb, fish, etc. I think it's always good to mix up what you're having. I have two theories on this. One, which I thought (trying to remember back) was Atkin's point, is avoiding the "monotony" that many complain about. Two - and this is MY theory - is that I like to keep my body guessing sometimes and just make it work differently...with exercise too.

But still, when it comes down to it...if you're getting sufficient protein and good veggies...having your supplements...exercising...and overall just being more healthy and living a good life, then who cares if you wash, rinse and repeat when it comes to food? If you enjoy it and your body likes it, then it ain't broke and you shouldn't feel the need on principle just to fix it!
  #2903   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 21:30
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi fellow PPers! I just thought I'd pop in and mention that I tried out a chocolate creme brulee recipe with awesome results...the details are in my journal. (FWIW the chocolate part is optional...all I did was add some cocoa powder to a basic recipe.) For those of you who do dairy and eggs and like custard, this is an option. DH and I skipped dessert last night because we were stuffed, so tonight we had a light dinner (homemade chili for him and a leftover burger for me with caprese salad) we decided to try my new creation. YUM!!!
  #2904   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 07:43

BF:

Lisa - I have two different breakfasts that I alternate with, the cottage cheese one is on the mornings I don't run, and the mornings I run I eat 1 cup of shredded wheat and two homemake breakfast cookies and 4 dates.

I have found through trial and error that to do ultra running you have to have carbs. I have lost 18 pounds since December! I can't believe that losing more weight is not a big issue with me now. I probably will loose somemore over the summer because I will be training for my 50 mile race in September.

Well, tomorrow is my 50k (32 mile) race. Actually, my dh was looking at the course and it's 34 miles! Here's a link if anyone is interested - http://www.mas50.com/redhot/index.html
There are some awsome pictures of the course!
  #2905   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 09:26
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Awesome news, Songberrie! What an incredible life change you've made...I'm looking at your stats and seeing a starting point of 3's and then realizing where you are now. Can you believe it? <shaking head> It's incredible! And congrats on the weight loss!

I'm slowly making progress. Today I'm mid-177 and that means nearly 30 pounds since 2 year years ago. (And over that time I had some gain-back of about 10 pounds so I had to lose that twice.)

Since Christmas I'm down about 8 pounds. I feel like I've finally gotten in my stride with exercise and eating. I'm enjoying life and feeling really quite fit. I don't intend to be a runner or major athlete like you, but then again, I'm also doing regular push-ups...regularly...and whouda thunk that just a few short weeks ago? The real key, which I'll paraphrase from another post today, is that I'm trying to fit fitness into my life and not the other way around. Life balance is my goal and because I still have so many demands (business and family) I'll always have a constant challenge to make sure my goals and efforts compliment each other versus compete.

Happy Friday everyone!
  #2906   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 14:09

Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

Songberrie have you always enjoyed exercising? If not, how did you get motivated to run marathons? I HATE to sweat!
  #2907   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 15:37
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura W
Songberrie have you always enjoyed exercising? If not, how did you get motivated to run marathons? I HATE to sweat!
On some level I'm with you on this, Laura...and yet, I too have succumbed to the great effects of sweating! Sadly I've always been a perspiration queen...never a lady who glistens, my Irish/German heritage has no doubt helped me look...mere minutes into a challenging exercise...like you should call 911 for me. LOL Oh well!

But I will say this...as I've lost weight and gotten stronger, it's been so much more encouraging for me as I try more difficult workouts. And for some reason, as I lose the weight, I don't feel quite as...pardon me for saying it, but "gross"...and the sweating doesn't bother me as much. Of course my body is also reacting differently now and my recovery time is much better, so that could be part of it.

I've only just recently begun to understand the whole "runners' high" which I'm sure Songberrie can attest to, and it's part of the fabulously positive addiction I have to working out. But believe me, it takes time and for me, anyhow, it has taken a lot of slow and steady progress to get to the gym rat level where I am today.
  #2908   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 10:53

BF:

I was a couch potato most of my life and always had a weight problem. Before I had my last 2 kids I lost 100 pounds. I started walking, but wanted to burn more calories, so I started running, and I loved it. But then I got pregnant with the last two kids and put on way to much weight. When I finally had lost enough weight to be able to run, I was so happy. This last summer I started running with some gals from my gym. They talked me into trail running with them, and it really kicked my butt! But I love it more than road running!

I ran my race the Sat before last! It turned out to be 35 miles, not 32, and it took me 8 hrs 31 min 31 sec ! I felt great afterward!

We went to Las Vegas last week and I got to run 13 miles in Death Valley and ran some trails in Red Rock Canyon! It was nice and warm there and I wore shorts! I've shoveled my driveway and sidewalks twice this morning and it looks like I'll be doing it again today. Aw well, you know me, I love a good workout!

I understand not everyone loves running, but I wonder if there's an exercise that would spark some passion?
  #2909   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 11:33
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Songberrie, congrats on the run! That's fantastic! I agree you need to find things that spark passion. For me I think it's weight training and/or resistance training mixed with cardio. I also enjoy interval training with cardio (mixing it up and challenging my heartrate). I like the elliptical best just because of impact though I do the treadmill and even run for some intervals when I'm feeling it. I am looking forward to getting back to the pool as well. And on the my list of things to get into the habit of and continue for my lifespan...pilates and yoga. I've tried segments of both and LOVE them. I have about 3 more sessions with a trainer left and then it'll be time to change up my workout routine and mix and match with all these ideas.

Perhaps for me the thing I like most is keeping the variety? Hmmm...something to consider.
  #2910   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 13:15

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Song, you never cease to amaze me. You are my hero!

Me? I hit menopause. Or, rather, meopause hit me! Nothing seems to work. I gained 20 pounds in the first 6 months after turning 50 (with no change in eating or exercise). Then, under the care of the Women to Women Center here, I managed to gain yet another 20 (they insisted I do Schwarzbein, which is MUCH higher in carbs). I did that on and off. Probably if I had done it by the book every day, I would have gained an extra 40!

I'm so proud of you and wish you all the best. Pop in to my journal anytime. I could use a kick in the pants from time to time!
Closed Thread