Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 15:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oops... I shouldn't have drank an entire can of coconut milk like that...
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 18:25

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oops... I shouldn't have drank an entire can of coconut milk like that...

Time to clean house, eh?
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 18:42
Experimenter

BF:

It made me feel really awful. My stomach hurt, I got too hot. I almost felt like I could throw up. I laid down for awhile and I'm better now. The house cleaning may come tomorrow...
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 18:45

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
I got too hot.

This is OT to this specific thread, but what is it about coconut products that produces that "hot" feeling? I get that when I use the oil.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 20:57

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Great ideas!

Some great ideas in here for a newbie to the forum! I especially like where Bat Spit is going with cooking ideas (she seems nearly as anal as me about using only paleo ingredients for cooking )

I personally agree with gfpaperdol and try to avoid sugar and sweeteners. I think the only sweeteners I would happily use (though rarely) are honey and stevia (if I could find one that tasted nice)

I'll have to ask the wife if she will consent to posting her boiled Christmas cake recipe. It is sugar (and sweetener), dairy, grain, and salt free. The batter also makes great muffins when baked in the oven.

...oh and about Coconut - It looks like coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids and lauric acid, both of which apparently have a thermogenic effect (from Here)

Last edited by Tarlach : Wed, Feb-20-08 at 21:11.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 00:29

Plan: Seven Deadly Sins (Paleo)
Stats: 155/110/110 Female 166cm
BF:
Default from Tarlach's 'missus'

The fruit pudding recipe is slightly different to the muffin recipe as I modified it over time while making the muffins...

Wheat, sugar and Dairy free XMAS PUDDING

Ingredients:

2 Oranges
200g Almond Meal
3 Tsp Spice
750g of mixed dried fruits
6 Eggs

Method:

1. Boil oranges in water for 2 hours. Ensure water doesn't boil dry by adding fresh boiling water from the kettle as it gets low. Allow to cool before removing from water.
2. Slice ends of orange and remove seeds.
3. Blend remaining part of the whole oranges (including peel).
4. Add Almond Meal, Spice and Eggs, blend until cake like consistency.
5. Stir through dried fruits into the mixture using a wooden spoon.
6. Pour mixture into a greased metal bowl. Cover bowl with aluminum foil and tie off with string.
7. In a large pot (large enough to hold the metal bowl with cake in it), place an inverted saucer (this keeps the metal bowl off the bottom). Then place the metal bowl (with cake) on top of the saucer. Fill pot with water until it comes up to 3/4 off the metal bowl. Cover with lid.
8. Boil for 5-8 hours ensuring to add boiling water as it gets low. I found boiling it for 5 hours and then letting it cool before boiling it for another 2-3 hours the next day works well...

Fruit muffins

Ingredients:

1 Orange
200g Almond Meal
1 Tsp Spice
375g of mixed dried fruits
1 Egg

Method:

1. Boil orange in water for 2 hours. Ensure water doesn't boil dry by adding fresh boiling water from the kettle as it gets low. Allow to cool before removing from water.
2. Slice ends of orange and remove seeds.
3. Blend remaining part of the whole oranges (including peel).
4. Add Almond Meal, Spice and Egg, blend until cake like consistency.
5. Stir through dried fruits into the mixture using a wooden spoon.
6. Pour mixture into mini cupcake molds (must be mini or they don't cook properly)
7. Bake in oven at 180 Degrees Celsius (or 350 Degrees Fahrenheit) until brown (Usually about 30 minutes while rotating)
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 13:00
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:

LC Paleo Granola

1/2c sunflower seeds
1/2c shredded coconut
1/4c chopped walnuts
1/4c chopped pecans
1/4c chopped almonds
1/2c coconut oil (or butter)
2T unhulled sesame seeds
2T ground flax meal
sweetener, to taste
sea salt, to taste
extracts/cinnamon/ground cacao nibs etc.

Melt coconut oil and coat mixture with flavorings and oil. Toast in oven at 325 degrees for 15-30 minutes, or until brown and crispy.

For chocolate granola, grind up 1/4-1/2c cacao nibs and mix in, omitting the ground flax meal. Vanilla extract complements it nicely.

For cinnamon granola, add in 2T ground cinnamon. Maple extract is great with the cinnamon.

This stuff is ADDICTIVE. Amazing with coconut milk for a breakfast cereal. I use erythritol and Nustevia to sweeten.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 13:38
Experimenter

BF:

I'm going to try using coconut flour again. Now that my gut is happy again, perhaps it'll be ok.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 12:04
LCing for health!

BF:

Quote:
Have I shared this recipe? It's a chocolate souffle in a mug.

.5 oz of unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbl of fat (butter, coconut oil, palm oil, whatever)

Melt chocolate and fat in microwave in a mug.

Stir in 1 Tbl Erythritol

With a fork beat in one egg very well.
Add some SF syrup like Da Vinci or Torani, whatever flavor you want.

Microwave for 45-60 seconds. Do NOT overcook. It should still be a little bit gooey at the end.

Nancy, I just made this with Lindt 99%, Nustevia, and erythritol. So indulgent! I think I will magic bullet the batter before microwaving next time because of a few unappealing egg white chunks, but this is so good it's worth the extra effort. The key is definitely undercooking the ooey gooey chocolatey goodness. Thanks so much for sharing!
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 13:29
Experimenter

BF:

Glad someone else likes it!

I've had to stop making it because I think the unsweetened chocolate I bought might be contaminated with gluten. I get bad IBS symptoms after eating it.

Anyway, I'll try another brand of chocolate and hopefully can get back on track with this. It is SO good!
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 03:59
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita45
Does anyone eat creamed coconut?

i used creamed coconut instead of coconut milk. make all my curries with creamed coconut. make my almond bark coconut candy with creamed coconut.
i find it in the ethnic section of my market..
79 cents a box.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 22:53
LCing for health!

BF:

Quote:
Glad someone else likes it!

I've had to stop making it because I think the unsweetened chocolate I bought might be contaminated with gluten. I get bad IBS symptoms after eating it.

Anyway, I'll try another brand of chocolate and hopefully can get back on track with this. It is SO good!

I think Lindt 99% and 85% bars are gluten-free. They are wonderful in this recipe! Good luck with that.

Made this again tonight, Nancy! I'm liking your souffle a bit too much methinks. It was absolutely divine with the eggs whipped in a magic bullet for 20 seconds. No stringy or white egg bits, with a really nice fluffy texture. Nuked it for 30 seconds and it was just perfect, with a bit of chocolatey "sauce" that I drizzled on top after inverting the mug and plopping out the cake. I was thinking of trying almond butter in place of the chocolate or the CO. Or maybe even peanut butter when I'm feeling naughty. The possibilities are endless... Certainly the tastiest way to get in your daily coconut oil! *does happy dance* I've seriously hated every microwaved low carb treat until trying this.

centa, your recipes are inspiring me to try this recipe, except with 1c powdered erythritol in place of sugar. The concept of boiling oranges sounded so weird until you posted your pudding recipe. That looks yummy except for the carbiness of the dried fruit. And it'd be even less carbs with lemons! What do you think based on your experience?
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 06:38

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I think Lindt 99% and 85% bars are gluten-free.

Nope. They contain barley, so have gluten. Very sneaky of them.

I currently use Green and Blacks 72%. Its a little carbier, but doesn't upset my system. I think they make a higher percentage, but I can't find it anywhere.

Quote:
Some great ideas in here for a newbie to the forum! I especially like where Bat Spit is going with cooking ideas (she seems nearly as anal as me about using only paleo ingredients for cooking )

Thanks Tarlach. I do try to be crazy about it, although I've done some long term testing and my body doesn't mind butter, so I've been using that again in some of my baking. It gives me something to feed my vegetarian friends when they stop by!

Quote:
I personally agree with gfpaperdol and try to avoid sugar and sweeteners. I think the only sweeteners I would happily use (though rarely) are honey and stevia (if I could find one that tasted nice)

I've found a new near-paleo sweetener. Its Agave Nectar. Its made by scooping out the center of an agave cactus, then coming back later, the plant will have filled itself with a sweet liquid. It seems to have a similar profile to honey in terms of sucrose/fructose. It has a very light flavor and it is very thin so its a little more pourable and mixes a little more easily.

When using it in baking though, remember that it browns VERY quickly and will cause things to burn if you don't lower the cooking temp a little and watch your time. I'm still figuring out how to adjust for this ingredient.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 06:40

Plan: Seven Deadly Sins (Paleo)
Stats: 155/110/110 Female 166cm
BF:

lcstudent That recipe is very similar to the chocolate orange cake I based all my cakes on. I find if you use sweet oranges, you need a lot less sugar than it says. And thus, when I added the dried fruit to my cake, I didn't need sugar at all.

I don't really focus on carbs, I am paleolithic and thus my diet is naturally lower in carbs than many other diets, and I came to this forum board as there are many great ideas that are easily made paleo rather than for the low carb dieting for weight loss.

I like the idea of making a lemon cake, although I don't know how it will go in the pudding (as I already have a learned mindset on how I think it should taste)..

You've definitely inspired me to try a lemon cake (and I don't usually use any sweeteners of any sort - I use fruit to sweeten my foods). Maybe next time I make the pudding (or even my cupcakes that are similar to the pudding) I'll make them with Lemon (which will be great to have a recipe to use my lemon tree now!) and report back here!
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 08:32

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
I've found a new near-paleo sweetener. Its Agave Nectar...It seems to have a similar profile to honey in terms of sucrose/fructose.

I had always read that agave was like 90% fructose. For example, here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...1,7478086.story The fructose content concerns me a bit, so I try to severely limit my use of the stuff.