Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#841   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-21, 02:45

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

3 miles
3.2 miles/hr average speed
time 55:50

Hamstring was tender, but not painful. Kept the pace down a bit out of caution. It hurt *way* too much the other night to risk a repeat.
Sponsored Links
  #842   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-21, 01:10

BF:

Last night after the 3 mile walk, I took a break. There was still a lot of time before shift change though. A bit before 3:00 AM, the horizon started getting brighter and I thought I'd do another small walk as dawn broke. That didn't work - the hamstring had tightened up a lot from the earlier walk.

So I grabbed a 30lb dumbbell and did two sets 10 reps of one arm dumbbell clean and press. I was using about the same weight as the big bruno-looking dude in the linked video. The hamstring didn't have any issues with that exercise at least.

Tonight I walked around the racetrack for one hour even. The distance ended up being 3.67 miles, for an average speed of 3.67 miles/hr. The hamstring definitely was noticing the walk towards the end, although it was fine at the start of the session.

Before the walk, I did a few dumbbell exercises with a 20lb dumbbell. Hammer curls, bicep curls, overhead tricep extensions, and a few one arm dumbbell clean and presses. Those hurt though because the delts (shoulders-pretty tiny and weak muscles) got spanked by the same exercise last night.

This is the last night shift for a while. I have to take vacation - it's now to the point where I have to use vacation or lose it. I don't like losing blood or vacation - both are much too important to waste.

Hopefully I can get a few bike rides in during the next couple of weeks. We are still dealing with a relative's belongings following a trip to assisted living, so a lot of my "vacation" will be spoken for. If there's no time for bike rides, there's always the elliptical and iron in the basement.
  #843   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-21, 00:39

BF:

Back at work after vacation. No exercise during "vacation" - I was busy dealing with the relative's hoard and helping a buddy get his boat back into running condition.
Additionally the infamous Northwest heatwave was absolutely brutal, and after being out in the heat most days, exercise was the last thing I was interested in.

So back to it tonight. Walked for 1 hour exactly. 3.07 miles, for an average of 3.07 miles/hr. It was still pretty warm, so I didn't go very hard at it. More tomorrow night.
  #844   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-21, 02:22

BF:

One hour walk.

3.81 miles, for 3.81 miles/hr average speed. See how easy the math works out if you go for exactly one hour??!!

That's probably about as fast as I'm likely able to walk from now on. I could feel the hamstring tugging just a bit and waiting to snap again. It didn't ever hurt, but it felt like it was just waiting for the chance to tear. Rather than risk a repeat, I'll just back off a bit. Maybe it will get better, maybe it won't.

It's too hot (even at midnight) to get too crazy with strenuous physical exercise, so stair-climbing is off the menu. So I have to stretch it out over an hour so as not to overheat. Not great cardio, but better than nothing.

Air quality was a little off tonight on account of all the fireworks. You could occasionally get an actual taste of sulfur in the air, in addition to the odor.
  #845   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-21, 04:43

BF:

5 mile walk
1hr 19min 20sec
3.7 miles/hr avg speed
  #846   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-21, 05:35

BF:

Yesterday evening:
Leisurely bike ride with some visiting friends.
3.7 miles, 8.5 miles/hr avg speed
Broke a minor sweat, but it was just 20 minutes and was never difficult to have a conversation. No significant climbing

Better than nothing!
  #847   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-21, 02:13

BF:

Worked three 12 hour day shifts. Stifling hot and smoky due to wildfire drift. No days off, now back for six 12 hour night shifts.

Tried to get in a power walk, but for some reason my shins were really painful, as though I'd done a ton of walking the day before. I haven't done anything significant since the 6th. No idea what's up with that. Anyway, I cut it very short, because I'm not interested in a lot of suffering and walking isn't that great anyway. I was going at a really good pace though.

1/2 mile, 8.5 minutes.
  #848   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-21, 01:28

BF:

Slept poorly during the day. No exercise tonight - i'm feeling beat and fuzzy-headed. Just gonna chill for tonight.
  #849   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-21, 22:20

BF:

#850   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-21, 01:19

BF:

40 minute walk.
3.3 miles per hour avg speed
2.2 miles walked.

Minimal effort, but it's too hot to go at it very hard. The dog days of summer are nearly upon us.
  #851   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 03:08

BF:

Walked 2 miles even
Time 32:45
3.6 miles/hr average speed
  #852   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-21, 02:11

BF:

Back to it. The Tillamook Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream was incredible (and on sale!!!), but I really need to do better than that. Returning to a healthier condition, starting off with a 48-72 hour fast. Right now I'm at hour 25 and my stomach is pretty grumpy about the situation.

The air quality index is 162 right now - unhealthy.

As a result of the nasty air, I took it easy and cut down the duration of the walk quite a bit.

1 mile even, time 18:30. 3.1 miles/hr average.

Edit: Tacked on a few single arm dumbbell clean and press

3 sets of 5 repetitions x 30lb dumbbell.

After the fast, I'll start back on intermittent fasting, which works amazingly well, even for an old guy with a slowing metabolism.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Mon, Aug-02-21 at 02:55.
  #853   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-21, 19:56

BF:

I broke. Made it 42 hours on the fast. Being hungry wasn't fun, but when I started feeling icky - and part of that might have to do with the air quality - I gave in.

3 ounces of Swiss cheese, and it was like manna from heaven!
  #854   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-21, 03:58

BF:

Lifted some iron. Been a while since doing much of that, so only two sets of 10 for each exercise. Air is much too awful for cardio right now. Got a nasty post-nasal drip and sore throat from all this gunk floating around. Unreal. Even the worst smog I ever saw in the LA air basin pales, compared to being surrounded by wildfires and still air.

Dumbbell Flyes : 20lbs x 10,10
Dumbbell Cross-Face Extension : 20lbs x 10,10
Pelvic lift, feet together: 20,20
Pelvic lift, feet apart: 20,20
Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 20lbs x 10,10
One Arm Kettlebell Rows: 35lbs x 10,10
Dumbbell Curls: 20lbs x 10,5,5

Took about 20 minutes, broke a light sweat, and no heavy breathing of the 200+ Air Quality Index .

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Tue, Aug-03-21 at 04:05.
  #855   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-21, 02:47

BF:

The foul wildfire air is blowing somewhere else for a change. AQI was down to 77 earlier - Moderate - due to particulates, of course. Not great, but not as bad as it's been recently.

Along with the air quality improvement is a temperature improvement. It was 52 degrees F (11C) tonight, so I went for a walk for the first time in a while.

1.5 miles, 25 minutes, 3.4 miles per hour. Broke a little sweat!