Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-11-21, 05:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Obecity, USA

A very poignant website/campaign about obesity in America. Check it out, it's really well done. (Graphics-heavy, maybe not great on your phone.)

Obecity, USA

...BUT: I was dismayed to see it's from the people that brought you the DASH diet, and they're proud of that. They also harp about "even a 5% drop in obesity results in improved health" (paraphrased.) Obesity is a symptom, not the actual problem!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but they come across as CICOpaths. I have a feeling they dismiss metabolic syndrome, probably want nothing to do with carb restriction (look at the recipes ) and their mandate is to keep trying to figure out how to get Americans to EatLessMoveMore(tm) harder. It seems contradictory.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-11-21, 08:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Kristine, good and interesting find, and I wanted to do some research, as the Pennington name is related to the fertilizer company (https://www.pennington.com/). My findings indicate it appears worse than simply the people that brought you the DASH diet. The CICOpaths comment is very apt.

This is long, but it illustrates the new order we are facing in terms of how healthy lifestyles will be described, recommended, funded, and treated:

Pennington Biomedical Research Foundation claims conducting research in 3 primary areas:

Regulating Fat Storage
Our Biological Research Team discovered a new gene that communicates from the brain to other organs to regulate fat storage, a finding that has important implications for the development of interventions to prevent obesity.

Drug Discoveries bold is added for emphasis
Our Integrated Physiology and Molecular Medicine Lab team discovered the first evidence that a chemical compound named BAM-15 could be an effective drug for treating obesity and related diseases.

DASH Diet
We co-developed the DASH diet and subsequently proved that the high-vegetable diet is as effective as certain medications that help lower blood pressure. U.S. News & World Report selected DASH as the #1 diet for diabetes as well as the #1 overall diet in America for eight of the last 10 years and the #1 diet for healthy eating for 2020.

Here is the link to their Board of Directors (see the professional backgrounds of each):
https://pbrf.org/?page_id=1237

The Executive Director is John Kirwan. Here's some of his background and professional interests:

"John Kirwan, PhD, executive director of Pennington Biomedical Research Center, is an internationally renowned obesity, diabetes and nutrition scientist whose professional expertise includes over 30 years of research, teaching and service in the obesity and diabetes fields. His exceptional record of excellence in diabetes-related research, including the discovery that type 2 diabetes can often be cured by surgical alteration of the intestines and stomach, made him the perfect choice for taking the lead at Pennington Biomedical in January 2018.
Kirwan leads an internationally acclaimed biomedical research program focused on diabetes, obesity, nutrition and exercise. He is currently Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator on 10 U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants, and to date, he has generated more than $50 million in research funding, most of which has come from NIH and the food, pharmaceutical, and medical device industries. He has published more than 200 scientific papers related to diabetes and metabolism in prestigious peer-reviewed journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, Diabetes and Diabetes Care.
Most recently Dr. Kirwan served as the director of the Metabolic Translational Research Center and professor of molecular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. He also held faculty appointments at Case Western Reserve University as a professor of physiology and of nutrition.
Kirwan received his clinical physiology training at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO.; his PhD in human bioenergetics at Ball State University, Muncie, IN.; his master's degree in exercise biochemistry from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.; and his bachelor's degree (Hons) from the University of Limerick, Ireland."

Here's a full link on the lad:
https://www.healio.com/news/endocri...hn-p-kirwan-phd

Here are excerpts from a recent interview (bold is from me):
https://www.healio.com/news/endocri...hn-p-kirwan-phd
What area of endocrinology most interests you right now and why?
Kirwan: I am intensely interested in three specific areas at this time. The first is bariatric surgery because of its profound effect on type 2 diabetes. Not only are we discovering that bariatric surgery has the ability to reverse type 2 diabetes in over 75% of the cases, but we are also seeing that it can reduce hypertension and the overall medication burden on diabetic patients. There are risks to surgery, of course, so we are also assessing long-term safety outcomes.

The second area I’m particularly interested in is transgenerational obesity and potential solutions to break the obesity cycle . . .

Third, we understand that exercise improves glucose control in individuals with type 2 diabetes, but we are not sure exactly how the effect works . . . More importantly, this information has given us the data we need to replicate that effect in the body with drug therapy — instead of depending on skeletal-muscle signaling. Simply, it will help us design an “exercise in a pill” for those who cannot easily incorporate exercise into their daily lives.

And . . . here is one of his most recent research publications:
A Whole-Grain Diet Improves Whole-Body Protein Turnover Compared to a Macronutrient-Matched Refined-Grain Diet in Adults with Overweight/Obesity
https://academic.oup.com/cdn/articl..._2/1661/5845610

Being a skeptic can often spur us to reveal things we should know about. If PBRF is funding the new wave of health and nutrition, I'll be watching closely, as deep pockets will influence many in the medical and nutrition communities and drag along the media for news (marketing) purposes. Just wait for it. Talk about conflicts of interest, this is a vertical plan for the new world health order.

Edited to add: Link to John Kirwan interview.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Tue, May-11-21 at 08:33.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-21, 10:21

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Code:
And . . . here is one of his most recent research publications: A Whole-Grain Diet Improves Whole-Body Protein Turnover Compared to a Macronutrient-Matched Refined-Grain Diet in Adults with Overweight/Obesity

I have no doubt that eating whole grains is not as harmful as eating refined grains but where is the no-grains comparison? I have seen quite a few whole-grain/refined-grains studies but never a whole-grain/no-grain study.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-21, 10:51

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Code:
And . . . here is one of his most recent research publications: A Whole-Grain Diet Improves Whole-Body Protein Turnover Compared to a Macronutrient-Matched Refined-Grain Diet in Adults with Overweight/Obesity

I have no doubt that eating whole grains is not as harmful as eating refined grains but where is the no-grains comparison? I have seen quite a few whole-grain/refined-grains studies but never a whole-grain/no-grain study.

And you probably won't because those would send an unacceptable message.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-12-21, 04:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Re whole grains. Having read a bit of Dr. Gundry's material, whole grains maybe worse than refined flours given the lectin levels. Perhaps "how" the grains are processed ie fermented makes a difference in digestibility and biochemical content.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-21, 09:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

We can discuss the granular details (pun intended) of whole wheat or other health implications, but the big picture here with PBRF involves the funding and sponsorship sources. Just to rattle off a few:

Big Agriculture from the fertilizers to the pesticides, Big Ag is very invested in ensuring certain ways of eating become and remain mainstream including healthy whole grains and anything that can be grown not considered a sentient being with the help of chemicals, because today our soil has been depleted of its growth characteristics. If we follow the PBRF mission and money, this is clear.

Big Pharma from developing "exercise in a pill" to finding synthetic versions of the BAM-15 chemical compound to inhibit natural fat storage to make peoples' lives easier to achieve health and diminish obesity without having to sweat or make a difficult lifestyle change by giving up creature comforts.

The medical community because sometimes it's just easier and more lucrative to perform surgery or take a pill than plead with people to change their lifestyles. Follow the money.

The attention grabber for anyone frequenting this forum who understands the power of nutrition and regular physical activity as health benefits is that this "message" is well funded, has support of the government research bodies, and is not close to advocating for the ability of people to take proactive actions to improve health . . . unless it's following things like the DASH diet or getting Bariatric surgery or getting their exercise equivalent by taking a pill.

The idea of humane farming of crops and animals to start to restore the health of those who inhabit the planet doesn't appear to play a role here. The idea of providing sound guidance enabling humans to understand healthy whole foods and how individual phenotypes respond in unique ways doesn't factor either.

Becoming aware of these "research" organizations and activities is very important. The good news is that many people are heading down the right path and taking charge of their lives through better eating and living, being able to understand the differences in spite of conflicting information. The need to protect that freedom will always be a key objective to achieve and maintain good health.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-14-21, 11:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

What I'm seeing is some grudging acceptance of certain things, like admitting eggs and butter won't kill you, more of the good/bad fat, good/bad carbs that I find is just an excuse for people to do what they want, like getting stuff that's sweetened with fruit juice instead of high fructose corn syrup.

People still don't have any new and clear ideas of how they are supposed to be eating. Which is the point they keep trying to cover up.

Normal is so messed up that people are horrified by the Four Food Groups, which ruled when I was a child. And we didn't have 70% obesity in adults with it, either.