Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 23:14

Plan: Candida
Stats: 142/142/160 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Finally found someone who knows what I'm experiencing after 4 years!

I know this is a really really old post but I was wondering how everything turned out for the op. Ive had similar issues for almost 4 years now and this is the ONLY instance ive come across in all my years of going to doctors and searching online where someone even knows what im even talking about.

I basically have the same issues when reading or using the computer in the morning or pretty much most of the day. I get these horrible headaches and dizziness and can't function at all afterwards. I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel like someone is poking your eyes. I feel this horrible pressure right behind my eyes that will not stop. Then i become super dazed. This happens if I use the computer, my phone, or anything requiring my eyes for even a few minutes. The symptoms are worse when i first wake up and gradually get better as it gets later in the day. I can use the computer or read a few hours a before bed, but it is only tolerable at best and no where enjoyable. It really sucks because i basically can't do anything requiring the use of my eyes until night time.

To give you some background info on me, I've never been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but i do have a host of other symptoms. Similarly i can't seem to tolerate food that well early in the day. My digestion seems to get better as the day goes on as well. I'm constantly fatigued, tired, dazed, and the list goes on... I've been through numerous conventional medical tests which came back normal so I decided to go see a naturopath. I have a candida infection which im in the end phases of treating. I also just got back my results showing i have adrenal exhaustion and my serotonin, epinephrine, dopamine, and GABA levels are off. I just started treatment to address these issues.

Please please if the op or anyone else has any advice or knows where i can find more info, it would be greatly appreciated. Like i said, I've been living alone with this for 4 years and I finally found someone who knows what im experiencing. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 13:45

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hi, gigoo

Yes, this is an old thread. I've been through quite a lot personal stress since this time. I've never been as bad though as I was here.

One of the things that helped me a lot, other than treating for adrenal fatigue and continuing to try to be healthy, is my now ex-husband and I separated bedrooms. The disturbance in my sleep was apparently making everything worse for me. I still take all the supplements except bovine adrenals and licorice.

I should add, I still do have all my issues, just not as bad as I used to. Always worse this time of year, and July/August
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 14:19

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

I haven't officially been diagnosed with Fibro either but 25 years of chronic pain and fatigue along with a host of other symptoms doesn't make it too hard to figure out. The fatigue/pain can be disabling and then at times remits . The eyesight thing is also remitting and I do best when I stay strictly LC and leave out all grains and dairy. I also react badly to nightshades at times. I can say that LC is probably the thing that has helped the most in terms of all health issues so stay here for support and do your best to keep making progress and hopefully your eyes will be doing much better. I think it is different for each person but you will find more and more things that work for you.

P.S. I will tell you that the eye doctor said I have a corneal disease but after staying LC she said the my eyesight had improved and gone back to an older prescription from 2006 . She said to keep doing whatever I was doing and that was LC.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 23:53

Plan: Candida
Stats: 142/142/160 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your responses and for sharing your experiences! I've been eating healthy and low carbing for 4 months now and it is one thing that I'm probably going to maintain for the rest of my life. Just everything I've learned has made me realize the benefits. I really don't miss a lot of the things I used to eat and find it quite enjoyable (except for the constant cooking). It's quite amazing how vital diet really is.

Puppetlady- thank you for sharing your experience. Are your eye problems similar to what I'm experiencing? And is it steadily remitting? I've been feeling like this for 4 years and I can only imagine dealing with it for 25 years...

Quietone- Thank you for responding to such an old thread. I'm guessing that your symptoms have improved and was wondering if you ever figured out the cause of it. Was it the adrenals? And I was just also wondering to what degree they improved. I remember reading that you weren't able to even read the morning paper before. Just wondering how much improvement you saw. One of my biggest fears is I will never figure this eye thing out because it really interferes with life.

Thank you so much for your responses!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 07:29

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hi, Gigoo

No, I don't believe it's the adrenals, but part of the fibro. My adrenals seem fine now and have since 2003 and I attribute all that to the stress I was dealing with at that time. However, I still do occasionally have the eye issues just as I occasionally still have muscle issues elsewhere.

Puppetlady is absolutely correct in that LC helps with all this. I think getting rid of the grains and dairy was the primary focus of benefits for me.

As I noticed before, the eye issues and the fibro always get worse when my SAD is at its apex, which is Jan/Feb and July/August (have both winter and summer SAD).
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 10:05

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

Morning Gigoo
I have found that the better I stick to strict LCing the better everything is. I am more pain free, more energy and my eyes do much better and I feel that my mood is immediately better because I am not dragging myself around life in constant pain and feeling so tired I can't stand myself. I personally think that it affects the muscles and circulation to the eyes just as fibro affects so many other muscles in the body. I can even concentrate and pull my eyes into better focus. I am definitely affected by too many hours at the computer and it helps to take lots of breaks during the day from the screen. I do think that stress is a large part of it and the more you can let go of everything and just live a relaxed and happy life the better things will be for you. I have always been one to stress out trying to take care of too much and I do much better when I do my best and let God do the rest. I do hope you find the support you need here and that things improve. I have fallen off the LC wagon many times but in the end I am back here because it works. I did a nice low carb day yesterday and dropped 2.5 pounds of water weight. That makes my feet feel so much better.

As far as constant cooking goes. One thing I do is I do batch cooking . I roast a chicken, a meatloaf and anything else I can fit in the oven and then boil up eggs to have on hand. I make up some egg salad from some of them and this really helps with the protein part of every meal and snack. It also frees up time cooking and cleaning dishes. This gives me protein for 3-4 days and it all tastes great. We use the chicken to make chicken salad after we have eaten from it for a couple of meals.

Happy Lcing Debbie

P.S. Remember to drink lots of water. If I forget I can have problems with leg cramps. Oh yes and go ahead and start a journal so we can write to you. LC support is always helpful!