Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 17:14
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Is Your Cholesterol too Low?

Is Your Cholesterol too Low?

Al Sears, MD
12794 Forest Hill Blvd., Suite 16
Wellington, FL 33414 December 14, 2006
Dear Reader,

Are you still worrying about cholesterol?

I start to think it’s a ‘dead horse’ then, I see this same scenario play out again – patients come to me terrified of their own cholesterol, in a panic because another doctor told them to take a drug to lower their cholesterol or “die of a heart attack”.

Continuing evidence has led me to a simpler and even more radical divergence from the conventional cholesterol hysteria to this: Cholesterol does not cause heart disease. Cholesterol is the thing that heart disease acts upon. The disease is the oxidation in your blood vessel that causes the cholesterol to form inflammatory plaques.

Think for a moment if I were to do a bone density test on you. I read you your results and say, “Well, there’s a problem with your bones. They’ve lost density so I’m afraid we’re going to have to take them out.” Of course, you need your bones regardless of if there is a disease afflicting them.

Likewise, you need your cholesterol. It is a central part of some very important metabolic pathways. In fact, it is probably the most important hormone precursor in your body. You make all sex steroids from cholesterol.

In the fight against heart disease, cholesterol is the victim the disease afflicts – not the culprit. Truth be told, it is the conventionally accepted approach of declaring war on you own cholesterol that is crazy and radical.

Especially since cholesterol drugs have such debilitating side effects. For one, they prevent the production of one of the most vital nutrients in your body: CoQ10. They cause muscle pain and weakness, make you feel old and tired - and it’s completely unnecessary.

Despite decades of mounting evidence that it’s the inflammation and oxidation that’s problematic, mainstream medicine in the US seems determined to put every man, woman and child on cholesterol drugs.

I recently received an unexpected ally in the UK. The British Medical Journal warned that the American cholesterol goals are too low and criticized the American obsession with forcing cholesterol lower and lower with statin drugs.1 Even I was surprised. It’s not everyday you see the establishment attack the establishment.

If you want to prevent heart disease, don’t bother with drugs that drive down your cholesterol. Fight the real cause: inflammation.

Here are three easy-to-follow options that don’t involve declaring war on your own metabolism:

Reduce Homocysteine: A deficiency of anti-oxidants in your diet leads to the accumulation of homocysteine in your blood. This impairs your blood vessels normal capacity to dilate on demand. This inadequate blood flow to the heart can cause heart attacks; inadequate blood flow to the brain can cause strokes.

You can easily reduce homocysteine by taking B vitamins. They support your natural system for breaking down this amino acid. All the patients at my clinic have successfully lowered their elevated homocysteine levels with nothing more than a vitamin supplement.

Lower C-Reactive Protein: Elevated CRP levels indicate that there is inflammation in within your cardiovascular system. Using this measure, we can detect if you have disease afflicting your cholesterol.

What can you do to keep your levels of CRP low? Cod liver oil can reduce CRP. I am looking into this in more detail at my clinic now. Another way is with exercise. We recently discovered that even moderate physical activity lowers CRP levels. People who went from not exercising at all to exercising a small amount five times a week cut their CRP levels by as much as 30 percent.2

Take Care of Your Teeth: Studies show that people with gum disease suffer heart attacks significantly more often than those with healthy gums and teeth.3

That's because bacteria in your mouth can sneak through diseased gums and enter the bloodstream, where it causes inflammation. The chronic infection activates white blood cells, which create arterial lesions and encourage plaque build-up on the walls of your arteries.

Fortunately, you can easily prevent or reverse gum disease. Start by brushing your teeth for three to four minutes twice a day. You can floss once a day, and schedule regular cleanings with your dentist. But I have a favorite old-fashioned cure; gargle with salt water every night before bed. You can make it yourself by dissolving a teaspoon of sea salt into 2 ounces of water, swish well and spit.

To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD

P.S. – Look in my book, The Doctor's Heart Cure, for dozens more simple, natural ways to prevent or reverse heart disease and enjoy a longer, fuller life.

1 Commentary. British Medical Journal. June 3, 2006
2 Church T, Barlow CE, Earnest CP, et al. Association between cardiorespiratory fitness and C-reactive protein in men. Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis: Journal of Vascular Biology. 2002 Nov 1; 22(11):1869-1879.
3 Genco R. Periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease: epidemiology and possible mechanisms. Journal of American Dental Association. 2002 Jun; 133 Supple: 14S-22S.

http://www.alsearsmd.com/content/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 11:17
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Excellent article - just saw this. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what 'too low' cholesterol is? Mine was 149 and has gone up to 163 total cholesterol. The docs are happy...I'm not on any medication, but they seemed thrilled with that 149. I wasn't so sure. I'm actually glad mine's going up a bit. Seems a bit healthier.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 21:54

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default cholesterol

Sure,you need cholesterol.
But how much?
When it's too low,your body will make more unless you're
taking huge amounts of statins.
Inflamation may be the major culprit.
Homocysteine,though much talked about,would appear
to be a minor factor in CHD.
With all the technology and medical greatness in the
USA,we are number 44 in world in longevity.
Top 3 killers:
heart problems
cancer
doctor mistakes
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 22:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/135/25 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 19%

That is scary that one of the top killers are doctor mistakes.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 04:27
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Heart disease and cancer are related to nutrition.

And most doctors are making a mistake telling patients to not eat fat, not eat butter, eggs, cheese, meat ...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb (Meat & Water)
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Sure,you need cholesterol.
But how much?
When it's too low,your body will make more unless you're
taking huge amounts of statins.
Inflamation may be the major culprit.
Homocysteine,though much talked about,would appear
to be a minor factor in CHD.
With all the technology and medical greatness in the
USA,we are number 44 in world in longevity.
Top 3 killers:
heart problems
cancer
doctor mistakes

I understand that for the past two years cancer is now the number one killer in America. Heart disease is number two. It's not that there is less heart disease, but it's killing fewer people due to medical advances.

I have to say, as bad as our medical system is at preventing disease, it really is good at helping you when you have an emergency. Once you have that heart attack, stroke, car accident, etc., there's no better place to be than a well equipped ER.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 19:08

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Havn't seen any great developments thwarting
cancer.SOS:
operation(best option when possible)
radiation(some times works)
chemo(not very good-causes many problems)
CHD:
don't get me started on that one.
It's correct that emergency procedures/treatments are pretty good in the USA.Too many incompetent doctors.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 23:15

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Great article!

Vitamin E is also supposed to help as is COQ10. COQ10 is good for your heart and your gums, belive it or not...

As to other ways to stay healthy, Vitamin D has been linked as a potential cancer beater. One fact that is widely known, every cancer patient is grossly deficient in vitamin D. Those with high levels of D are at much much less risk for a lot of diseases, cancer included.

And reading that Americans are being forced into to low is good when it comes to Cholesterol makes me feel a wee bit better.

This has been a standard practice in American nutrition and healt. Keep pushing the levels lower and lower and calling healthy people unhealthy and get them on drugs....

Ya I know the last part was a generalization, but grounded somewhat in fact...

#9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-06, 06:46
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 238/238/128 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress:

Well when I told my doctor I wanted to try and get my cholesterol down naturally with diet and exercise he just laughed at me like it was impossible. He wanted me to take Crestor, but I didn't and now going back to my old doc, but he will want me on statins also. I feel like Ive got the statin mafia out to get me LOL...I jest of course, but its true. Doctors are nothing but drug pushers.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-06, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 99
BF:
Progress: 12%

For some statins are the only way but they have no clue if they are not first advised to change their daily diet.

It's so sad that the medical world push drugs on you first then advise you about diet. I would think it should be the other way around!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-26-06, 18:02

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimya
For some statins are the only way but they have no clue if they are not first advised to change their daily diet.

It's so sad that the medical world push drugs on you first then advise you about diet. I would think it should be the other way around!

You'd think so... on both counts.

What I have learned from a lot of the newer emerging info is contrary to what we would think common sense. Including the belief that statins are the only way.

Yes many Doctors advise diet changes to control cholesterol, but the diet they reccomend does little to actually help. The standard fats is bad, grains is good diet will cause more harm than good in many people and actually push them into needing drugs.

I have no proof to post that will back that up so don't ask me to cite my sources, though Dr Atkins, Antony Coppolo, Kevin Trudeau, Dr Eades, Dr Berenstein and many mnay others are sources where I have learned much. Lot's of info out there if you look.

Then once on statins many people are worse off in other areas due to the side eects of these drugs.

Also, there is a ton of existing and often ignored evidence as well as a ton of emerging evidence that states that cholesterol is not an acurate indicator of ones heart/cardiovascular health. Further, even more information cites that what we are told are healthy cholesterol numbers may actually be too low!

So, where does that put someone that blindly relies of their Lipid panel numbers and the info their Doctors tell them? In my mind that puts a person in a very dangerous, if not only blissfully ignorant state.

Diet alone can make a noticable improvement in anyones health, diet and natural suppliments can make a dramatic improvement in ones health.

The trick is finding a doctor that is up on the new info, or at the very least open to exploring the option...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 08:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Thanks for posting the article. At my last MD visit I asked my cardiologist if he still believed in the cholesterol theory of heart disease- and he looked at me like I was crazy. At this point I am really not sure what I believe. My CRP is high, and homocystine too (even with folate supplements.) I am getting another Calcium Cat scan in the next few months- it was '0' (good) 3 years ago.
I have become very interested in the whole Vit D issue- and believe that supplements are important. I am looking for a good source- any recommendations? And from what I have read, it looks like dosages of 1000-2000 IUs are needed?
E
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 08:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Enomarb, have you seen the heart scan doctor's blog? I like some of the stuff he writes: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

He definitely thinks vit. D is important.

I'm using Carlson's (found it at the Vitamin Shoppe online). It comes in 2000 iu capsules and I'm taking 2 a day. I get *no* sunshine at all so I'm probably deficient. I'll get my Vit. D tested too.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 10:23
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
Thanks for posting the article. At my last MD visit I asked my cardiologist if he still believed in the cholesterol theory of heart disease- and he looked at me like I was crazy. At this point I am really not sure what I believe. My CRP is high, and homocystine too (even with folate supplements.) I am getting another Calcium Cat scan in the next few months- it was '0' (good) 3 years ago.
I have become very interested in the whole Vit D issue- and believe that supplements are important. I am looking for a good source- any recommendations? And from what I have read, it looks like dosages of 1000-2000 IUs are needed?
Too low cholesterol impairs the body's ability to make vitamin D.

2,000 IU of vitamin D is the present regulation safe upper limit(SUL) of vitamin D which vitamin D experts say is much too low. They feel that the SUL should be raised to 10,000 IU/day, a very conservative choice, and that a SUL of 20,000 IU/day is not unreasonable. These same experts want the RDA raised from 400 IU/day to 2,000 IU/day but will settle for an RDA of 1,000 IU/day even though they know that most people need to be supplemented at at least 4,000 IU/day and more during winter.

There was a study that proved that you need 7,000 IU/day to maintain vitamin D levels. Of course you need much more if you're starting from a deficient state.

Given the current status of the SUL most of the "agressive" recommendations for vitamin D supplementation on the net and from main line doctors is capped at 2,000 IUs of vitamin D/day.

Vitamin D Suppliers

US
Drops
2,000 IU, Dcnutrition.com
2,000 IU, www.bayho.com

Gels
1,000 IU, Carlson brand
2,000 IU, Carlson brand
2,400 IU, 5,000 IU, healthy4life.com

Capsules
1,000 IU,swanson
1,000 IU, vitacost
1,000 IU lef.org
5,000 IU, lef.org
5,000 IU, bio-tech-pharm.com
50,000 IU, bio-tech-pharm.com

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Wed, Dec-27-06 at 10:44.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 10:31
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

General Vitamin D Information

Vitamin D Facts

• If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you might have chronic vitamin D deficiency.
• Adequate vitamin D levels achieved through exposure to sun, consumption of oily fish, and supplements can prevent 80% of vitamin D deficiency related diseases and cancers.
• 30 times more cancer deaths are attributed to vitamin D deficiency from lack of sun exposure than to skin cancer deaths from too much sun exposure.
• Always take calcium and magnesium with vitamin D supplements. Vitamin D will pull calcium from the bones if adequate calcium is not ingested. Magnesium assists in calcium uptake.
• Per day: 4,000-14,000 IU vitamin D3, 1800 mg calcium, and 600-1200 mg magnesium. Required vitamin D dose depends on season, resident latitude, skin tone, weight, age, dress or cultural mores, and presence of D deficiency symptoms.

Vitamin D, D3, is not really a vitamin; rather it is a powerful steroid and a super hormone that tells your body how to work. It controls hormones and cellular growth; it helps to absorb calcium for strong bones and teeth; it ensures muscle strength and balance; and it protects against immune diseases, prenatal physical and neurological disorders, birth defects, diabetes, hypertension, inflammation, depression, and cancers. Vitamin D deficiency has been implicated in over 50 illnesses and diseases and has been proven to prevent or remit 28 kinds of cancers, most noted are breast, ovarian, cervical, prostate, colon, and lung cancers.

It’s been said that vitamin D is toxic in high levels and no one should take more than 800-2,000 IUs per day. That is not true and is just the perpetuation of old, outdated information relating to man-made vitamin D.
• Natural vitamin D, cholecalciferol, is named D3; manmade vitamin D, ergocalciferol, is named D2.
• Natural vitamin D, D3, has been tested at 20,000 IUs per day over a 5 year period and found non toxic.
• No incident of natural vitamin D toxicity has resulted in death.
• Cases of proven natural vitamin D toxicity have been the result of industrial accidents or accidental mega doses in excess of 1 Million IUs per day over a prolonged period.
• Hypercalcemia (high amounts of calcium in the blood) has been pointed to as an indication of vitamin D toxicity; however, hypercalcemia is also, and more often, a symptom of vitamin D deficiency.
• Vitamin D toxicity arises at a blood level of >250 ng/ml.
• Vitamin D levels can be easily tested. The test is named either 25(OH)D or 25-hydroxyvitamin D.
--Ignore the lab ranges for normal on this test as the norms were established using a vitamin D deficient population.
--Any reading below 60 ng/ml is deficient.
--Any reading of 75-125 ng/ml is optimal and preventive of cancers.
--Individuals in the tropics naturally have vitamin D levels ranging from the mid 100s-200 ng/ml.
• Vitamin D supplements are safe for all ages including fetus and infant. Vitamin D is essential in the development of fetal bone, brain, and nervous systems, and prevents birth defects and miscarriages.
--Children born June-August are seven times more likely to have learning disabilities, mental retardation, low Apgar scores, low birth weight, and dyslexia than those born in cooler months.
--Adults born in winter or spring have higher rates of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression.
--A 2 year old was given 4 Million IUs of vitamin D over a 5 day period resulting in vitamin D toxicity. His symptoms were diarrhea, stomach ache, and hypercalcemia. He was treated for the hypercalcemia over a period of 3 months and fully recovered with no negative results.
--Prior to 1985 infants and children in Finland, Norway and Sweden were given 2,000-4,000 IUs a day of D3. Those countries then had the lowest rates of juvenile diabetes, and developmental, and childhood illness of industrialized nations. These children, now adults, have the lowest rates of cancer compared to those who were not supplemented.
--Breast fed infants, especially, should be given liquid vitamin D supplements.
--27 sickly children ages ranging from 2-12 were given 9,000 IUs a day of vitamin D3 for six weeks one winter; they stopped getting sick.
--Experts recommend pregnant and lactating women take 4,000 IUs of D per day, and children up to 60 pounds be given 1,000-2,000 IUs of D per day, or enough vitamin D in each case to achieve blood levels of 60 ng/ml.
• People with dark skin pigmentation need 20-30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D.
--Blacks are 10 times more vitamin D deficient than whites.
--Young Black women are 24 times more vitamin D deficient than young white women. Of those tested, almost 50% had vitamin D levels <15 ng/ml.
--87% of Black adolescents tested have vitamin D deficiency with vitamin D levels below <30 ng/mg
--Blacks have higher rates of and contract more virulent forms of vitamin D deficiency related illnesses: hypertension, diabetes, hyperthyroid, hyper parathyroid, cancers—especially prostate, breast, colon, cervical, and ovarian cancers, multiple sclerosis, obesity, and renal and heart disease.
• People with very pale skin that won’t tan, and those of Northern European heritage genetically have fewer vitamin D receptors in their skin and can not generate adequate vitamin D levels from the sun.
• People of orthodox religions or those having cultural mores that limit the amount of skin that is exposed are prone to vitamin D deficiency.
• The ability to make vitamin D decreases with age.
• It’s impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from diet alone. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body. When adequate sunlight is not available to produce vitamin D, supplements must be taken.
• Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of high dose vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.
• Suggested vitamin D use by the body has been put at 4,000 IUs per day.
• Proven vitamin D use by the body has been shown at 7,000 IUs per day.
• The best time to produce vitamin D from sun exposure during the day is between the hours of 10-3, the time most people are indoors, and the very hours that people are advised to avoid the sun.
• Use of sunscreen/block of even SPF=8 cuts 95% of vitamin D production.
• Vitamin D cannot be produced by sun shining through glass.
• The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the midday sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
• There is no possible vitamin D production from the sun during winter for those living above 41 degrees latitude north or south of the equator.
• Daily vitamin D needs cannot be met from the sun during winter 37 degrees from the equator.
• Clouds, aerosols and thick ozone events reduce the duration of vitamin D synthesis considerably, and can suppress vitamin D synthesis completely even at the equator.
• Rates of vitamin D deficiency diseases: high blood pressure, Alzheimer’s, MS, autoimmune, Crohn’s heart, Hodgkin’s, and Parkinson’s diseases, schizophrenia, mental illness, alcoholism, fibromyalgia, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes type I & II, and cancers rise with distance from the equator.
• Having kidney disease or liver damage can impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
• Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption. Without sufficient vitamin D, the body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.

Vitamin D_Obesity Link
Vitamin D is stored in fat. Vitamin D controls insulin…insulin causes hunger/cravings and stores fat…fat captures vitamin D and makes it not available for the body to use…Resulting in less vitamin D which means less insulin control …higher insulin causes more hunger/cravings and stores more fat…fat captures vitamin D and makes it not available for the body to use…and on and on.

Obesity and the vitamin D deficiency--related condition osteomalacia often go hand in hand. Osteomalacia is characterized by extreme bone and muscle pain and weakness. When an obese person has osteomalacia, the bone and muscle pain and weakness make it virtually impossible to participate in any sort of physical activity that might help the individual manage his or her weight. As a result, the individual becomes even more obese, which will in turn worsen his or her vitamin D status and exacerbate the osteomalacia.

Further, for these people initial weight gain leads to more clothes covering the body, and less time spent outdoors in the sun due to practical and esteem-related reasons. When the obese are outside, less skin is exposed to the sun for vitamin D production which leads to greater vitamin D deficiency and continues the above cycles. Obese individuals, depending on weight, require 2-4 times the vitamin D supplementation of normal weight individuals because some amount of vitamin D is captured in fat and not bio-available.