Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 14:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
No heart or stroke problems in my family history.

Well, that's an important piece of information.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney
Thanks for all your replies. I was fasting before the test. No, I am not diabetic. My glucose level is 74 and the normal range is 65-99. I'm in excellent health. I don't know what to do about the lipitor. I'm so afraid of the side effects, but I can't let this get anymore out of control. No heart or stroke problems in my family history. Thanks again.

A typical menu for me is B: bacon and eggs L: meat and one green veggie or salad D: Same as lunch

craney,
may be then eat low sat. fat diet and see if this will improve your profile. Your Bgs are great and if there is no family history, could this also be related to losing female hormones? I am same age and have read that estradiol play big role in good cholesterol profile, and once it drops, HDL drops too and TRG go up. Do you have any pre-low carb blood tests to compare to? I udnerstand your desire to lose weight but may be Atkins is not the best diet for you? If you have no IR or diabetes, why not try South beach or Zone, or GI diet? try cutting back on fat and see if this will change your CHO.
Just a thought.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Its probably not genetic. You clearly still have quite a lot of weight to lose so you can probably expect more improvement (this is if your tracker thing is showing your correct BMI).

Quote:
A typical menu for me is B: bacon and eggs L: meat and one green veggie or salad D: Same as lunch

Thats terrible . Try eating upto 10-20 differnent veggies a day and you will be fine. What is your average daily calorie intake?

Theres always this if you want almost a NILL chance of getting heart disease
http://mednews.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/851.html

Your life

Good Luck

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Apr-04-07 at 14:31.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 14:46
Registered Member

Whoa,
I carry extra weight too and my HDL =57 and TRG =85, and very VLDL=16.
No everyone who is overweight has unfavorable cholesterol breakdown, so in this case weight is not a problem. it does look strange, I agree, given she is not diabetic and is healthy, so may be it is genetic. Given she has no heart desease in the family, is very helathy, looks like cholesterol is not a single factor for CAD.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 14:52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Thats terrible . Try eating upto 10-20 differnent veggies a day and you will be fine. What is your average daily calorie intake?

Theres always this if you want almost a NILL chance of getting heart disease
http://mednews.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/851.html

Your life

Good Luck

Whoa, I eat lots of veggies: large salad with everything at lunch and always another one with dinner plus vegetables in side dish, and some fruit, and I doubt that I make 10-20 different veggies a day:
mixed lettuce
tomatoe
cukes
broccoli
asparagus
onion
garlic
radish
bell pepper
carrot ( on ocation)
cabbage
spinach
celery
fennel
endive
well, I don't eat all of them at once, but rotate every day and still not even close to 20, unless you add tubers.
Also, I am getting really bloated if i eat 20 different veggies a day and little fat, oh, and hungry too. Bu I am also 1.5 time bigger than you, so may be this is why.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Whoa,
I carry extra weight too and my HDL =57 and TRG =85, and very VLDL=16.
No everyone who is overweight has unfavorable cholesterol breakdown, so in this case weight is not a problem.

You are quite correct that higher body weight doesn't always mean crappy lipids.

Quote:
it does look strange, I agree, given she is not diabetic and is healthy, so may be it is genetic.

Yup, even so, does that mean its impossible to achieve a lower TG level? We all know that TG's are more important risk factor, much so than LDL. But given a low HDL too its concerning. I think craney should get a C reactive protein test done, this will then give a clearer picture of the significance... as inflammation is a key component in heart disease. I would be suprised if it was low, as adipose tissue secretes pro inflammatory cytokines.

Quote:
Given she has no heart desease in the family, is very helathy, looks like cholesterol is not a single factor for CAD.

Nope I don't believe it is the only risk factor. Heart disease is clearly multi factoral issue and it just depends which is the dominating factor in hastening it. Still a lot to learn, but we go with what we got right? I say try achieve optimal level of all risk factors if possible.

Quote:
Whoa, I eat lots of veggies: large salad with everything at lunch and always another one with dinner plus vegetables in side dish, and some fruit, and I doubt that I make 10-20 different veggies a day:
mixed lettuce
tomatoe
cukes
broccoli
asparagus
onion
garlic
radish
bell pepper
carrot ( on ocation)
cabbage
spinach
celery
fennel
endive
well, I don't eat all of them at once, but rotate every day and still not even close to 20, unless you add tubers.
Also, I am getting really bloated if i eat 20 different veggies a day and little fat, oh, and hungry too. Bu I am also 1.5 time bigger than you, so may be this is why.

20 veggies might be on the excessive side... 10 different ones per day is quite easy though. I would bet that if craney added some of those veggies you mention above there would be a significant improvement.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Apr-04-07 at 18:17.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 16:40

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney
Thanks for all your replies. I was fasting before the test. No, I am not diabetic. My glucose level is 74 and the normal range is 65-99. I'm in excellent health. I don't know what to do about the lipitor. I'm so afraid of the side effects, but I can't let this get anymore out of control. No heart or stroke problems in my family history. Thanks again.

If you do decide to go on the statins, please consider taking CoQ10 as a supplement. The statins inhibit it in your body, and it's important to your health. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 17:50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182

Yup, even so, does that mean its impossible to achieve a lower TG level? We all know that TG's are more important risk factor, much so than LDL. But given a low HDL too its concerning. I think craney should get a C reactive protein test done, this will then give a clearer picture of the significance... as inflammation is a key component in heart disease. I would be suprised if it was low, as adipose tissue secretes pro inflammatory cytokines.

Again, sorry to dissapoint you, my CRP is always very low as well as my homocystein, and I have T2 diabetes, and enough adipose tissue, more than I would want definetely. I think that it makes difference what kind of fat one has: subcutaneous versus vesceral, and I happen to have mostly subcutaneous.
As for TRG being the most important, I have read different opinions and it seem that for men LDL plays bigger role while for women high HDL and low TRG are more protective.
Also, I have read recently that both CRP and homocystein is yesterday news, and not longer seen as a predictor of a heart attack.
Quote:
Nope I don't believe it is the only risk factor. Heart disease is clearly multi factoral issue. It just depends which is the dominating factor in hastening it. Still a lot to learn, but we go with what we got. I say try achieve optimal level of all risk factors if possible.

This is prudent approach, but one never knows what can trigger cardiac event.
Quote:
20 veggies might be on the excessive side... 10 different ones per day is quite easy though. I would bet that if craney added some of those veggies you mention above there would be a significant improvement.

Possibly, I don't believe that limiting non-starchy low GI vegetables will help with weight loss on any diet. Probably, the best diet ot lose weight is based around steamed fatty fish or grilled chiken breast with lots of steamed vegetables or salad greens, and some berrie for dessert. Too bad it is too boring.