Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 09:25

Plan: none
Stats: 158/158/135 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Insulin resistance & exercise

I recently read that it is better for people with insulin resistance to exercise moderately and not get their heart rate too high. I guess it has something to do with how much glucose is burned.

So the other day I tried to slow it down on the treadmill and do a high incline instead, but my heart rate still went up to 150-160. Then I was starving the rest of the day - I just couldn't seem to get enough food and had terrible carb cravings.

So I'm guessing the moderate exercise theory could be true? Has anyone else heard of this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 10:22

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have not heard that theory. I'm not sure that there should be a relationship between being insulin resistant and exercise heart rate.

As far as how to exercise, I'm a believer in doing intervals. Do easy/moderate then a few minutes of really hard, then back to easy/moderate to recover then hard again. Repeat until done.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

According to Bally's Fitness the incline treadmill burns the most calories of any machine in the gym. You're carrying your whole body weight up a hill. I have been doing cardio and I've have been starving and eating too many carbs. I'm trying upping my calories and fat, hopefully that will help. If you find any solutions let me know!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

My treadmill has a calorie counter. It may not be super accurate. At zero incline it says I'm burning 130 calories per mile. So one hour (5mph) means 800 calories burned. At 15% incline, the highest it goes, it say I'm burning 450 calories per mile. One hour on the machine at that setting (3mph) means around 1350 calories burned.

I don't track my heart rate but I don't think that's a factor. On level ground I'm not using much of the quads. At 15% grade I'm working every bit of quad muscle.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I mis-typed. One hour at the zero grade burns 650 cals.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 19:57

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Susie - Do you have that quote? I've never heard that before. All I have ever heard is how wonderful exercise is for diabetics. It does help to lower blood sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 13:16

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Without seeing the original quote, I can't say for definite, but I'd guess the moderate exercise thing is before of the belief that you only burn fat at lower intensity. Also, a lot of diabetics don't exercise at all, so moderate is better than nothing.

If you are used to exercise, then I'd vary between moderate and intense. Your heart is a muscle like any other, and needs progressive overload from time to time.