Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 16:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/177/170 Male 5' 10“
BF:
Progress:
Default sugar in ingred, not on nutrition label

Hi, I started Atkins Phase 1 yesterday and ran into a glitch with store food. I'm finding foods that state on Nutrition Label there is no sugar, but when in fact the Ingredient Label shows sugar added. On BBQ flavor pork rind and sausage. So are foods stating zero sugar on Nutrition Label alright in Pase 1 even though I see sugar on Ingredient Label?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 04:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There are many tricky rules regarding US nutrition labels. New ones were proposed in 2014, and still are not used...USDA delayed implementation but some manufacturers voluntarily do follow them.
https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57A353C2-7BAA-A307-41C1-866C50A5A571

For pork rinds and sausage the amount of "Sugar" as calculated (not added) is likely so small as to be under 1 gram. If under .50 g, it can be listed as zero or <1g. Happens often with bacon too.
Labels are also a problem with cream because the 1T serving size is small. There are 7 carbs in 1 cup heavy cream, but if use a 1 T serving, the carbs "disappear".

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-26-19 at 04:12.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 06:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

If you're on induction, you'll want to avoid foods that list any kind of sugars in the ingredients, even if the nutrition stats say 0 grams sugar, because as Janet said, as long as it's less than .5 g sugar per serving, the nutrition facts can say it's 0 grams. The food manufacturers often make the serving size far smaller than you'd ever use in real life, just to make the nutrition stats look better.

One thing you can do to get the real story (at least for basic foods such as the heavy cream mentioned above), is to use a nutrition data site or app to determine the amount of naturally occurring sugar in the food.

On my desktop, I keep a bookmark for the Nutrition Data Food Facts site (ad supported - you'll want to give it a few seconds for the annoying ads to load in before you try to type or click on anything, so you don't accidentally open an ad). You type the basic food into the search bar, and can narrow your search to specific food groups. You'll get a list of choices for most basic foods, and after you find the one that most closely describes what you want in it's natural state (for instance, when searching eggs, even if I'm making scrambled eggs, or making egg salad, I'll bypass those choices, and continue scrolling until I find the one that gives the data for raw eggs - I want to know about the single ingredient, not what other ingredients the USDA assumes I've added when I cook my eggs a particular way), then use the drop down for that item to choose a serving size (if you choose a larger serving size, such as one cup of heavy cream, you can do the math to give you a much more accurate idea about how much naturally occurring sugar there is in the amount you actually use). The colorful overview charts near the top of the page require adobe acrobat to view, but if you don't have/don't want to install adobe, you don't need those anyway - there's much better info if you scroll down further, since all macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients will be listed in detail.

On my phone, I have an app called Nutrition Facts which works similarly, with search field, broad food groups, individual choices, and serving sizes, but you can look for any app that provides the detailed data from the USDA, and gives you the option of different serving sizes for each food. (I had to download and delete a few apps before I found an app I liked) As on the desktop site, all nutrient values will be listed for the food.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 07:09

BF:
Progress:

That's what I was guessing and wanted to know for sure. I'll set those items aside until next phase's. Thanks for reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
There are many tricky rules regarding US nutrition labels. New ones were proposed in 2014, and still are not used...USDA delayed implementation but some manufacturers voluntarily do follow them.
https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57A353C2-7BAA-A307-41C1-866C50A5A571

For pork rinds and sausage the amount of "Sugar" as calculated (not added) is likely so small as to be under 1 gram. If under .50 g, it can be listed as zero or <1g. Happens often with bacon too.
Labels are also a problem with cream because the 1T serving size is small. There are 7 carbs in 1 cup heavy cream, but if use a 1 T serving, the carbs "disappear".
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 07:17

BF:
Progress:

Currently I'm working with plain frozen vegetables, plain pork steak and zero sugar bacon, boiled egg, found a mayo with zero sugar on ingredients (Duke's with is a little getting used too compared to Hellman's but zero sugar!) Thanks for reply and reference source's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
If you're on induction, you'll want to avoid foods that list any kind of sugars in the ingredients, even if the nutrition stats say 0 grams sugar, because as Janet said, as long as it's less than .5 g sugar per serving, the nutrition facts can say it's 0 grams. The food manufacturers often make the serving size far smaller than you'd ever use in real life, just to make the nutrition stats look better.

One thing you can do to get the real story (at least for basic foods such as the heavy cream mentioned above), is to use a nutrition data site or app to determine the amount of naturally occurring sugar in the food.

On my desktop, I keep a bookmark for the Nutrition Data Food Facts site (ad supported - you'll want to give it a few seconds for the annoying ads to load in before you try to type or click on anything, so you don't accidentally open an ad). You type the basic food into the search bar, and can narrow your search to specific food groups. You'll get a list of choices for most basic foods, and after you find the one that most closely describes what you want in it's natural state (for instance, when searching eggs, even if I'm making scrambled eggs, or making egg salad, I'll bypass those choices, and continue scrolling until I find the one that gives the data for raw eggs - I want to know about the single ingredient, not what other ingredients the USDA assumes I've added when I cook my eggs a particular way), then use the drop down for that item to choose a serving size (if you choose a larger serving size, such as one cup of heavy cream, you can do the math to give you a much more accurate idea about how much naturally occurring sugar there is in the amount you actually use). The colorful overview charts near the top of the page require adobe acrobat to view, but if you don't have/don't want to install adobe, you don't need those anyway - there's much better info if you scroll down further, since all macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients will be listed in detail.

On my phone, I have an app called Nutrition Facts which works similarly, with search field, broad food groups, individual choices, and serving sizes, but you can look for any app that provides the detailed data from the USDA, and gives you the option of different serving sizes for each food. (I had to download and delete a few apps before I found an app I liked) As on the desktop site, all nutrient values will be listed for the food.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 07:18

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

In my experience with pork rinds, the plain is best. I stay away from any of the flavored, since they'll also have maltrodextrin.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 11:17

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
In my experience with pork rinds, the plain is best. I stay away from any of the flavored, since they'll also have maltrodextrin.

I've been buying the Aldi's store brand pork rinds - I haven't looked at the ingredients for the hot version, because I like the plain ones. (Can't beat Aldi's price either - 79 cents/bag!)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 17:39
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Duke's is good mayo. I look for the small jar since I don't use it much.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 18:40

BF:
Progress:

I agree, but, the first grocery store I stopped at for 'plain' pork rind had brown sugar as an ingredient!! Nothing can be assumed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 18:40

BF:
Progress:

Yes, great price, I'll be going to Aldi's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I've been buying the Aldi's store brand pork rinds - I haven't looked at the ingredients for the hot version, because I like the plain ones. (Can't beat Aldi's price either - 79 cents/bag!)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 18:44

BF:
Progress:

It is OK, just need to give a chance for my taste to adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Duke's is good mayo. I look for the small jar since I don't use it much.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 04:42

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawil1013
I agree, but, the first grocery store I stopped at for 'plain' pork rind had brown sugar as an ingredient!! Nothing can be assumed!

yes, you do have to look. i have two brands that i get: mission and another one lol.

#13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 11:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

I had thought they could claim zero carbs if it was under 1, so I've been counting all those as 1 carb per serving. Now I can call them 1/2 carb? That would be nice!

I get ticked at the companies who make the serving size so tiny they can call it zero carbs, but who really pays attention to serving sizes?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 18:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Today I chopped up 1/2 a large avocado and reached for the Duke's. Then I remembered the pimento cheese I bought for celery and put 1 Tbs or so of that in instead. Mixed it all up. Boy was that good!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 23:38
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Today I chopped up 1/2 a large avocado and reached for the Duke's. Then I remembered the pimento cheese I bought for celery and put 1 Tbs or so of that in instead. Mixed it all up. Boy was that good!

I've never had pimento cheese before. Is it some type of specialty cheese