Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/197/160 Female 5 foot 9
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Two cups of salad a day?

I'm a total Atkins newbie, so I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question. I've read the book and am ready to start Induction tomorrow. But I HATE SALAD. Yep, can manage it in the summer, but just doesn't do a thing for me at this time of year.

My question is, is there anything that says I can't cook some of the "salad" vegetables? Some celery, mushrooms, peppers, mm-mm good.

Also, if it's okay to cook salad vegetables, I'm assuming it would be okay to throw them in some chicken broth for soup?

Thank you for any help. I'm really quite excited about this new experience, but know the daily salad thing will be the hardest challenge.

Bev
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 19:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Bev!

There is no hard and fast law written in stone that says that you absolutely MUST have 2 cups of salad a day on induction. I'd say as long as you are eating your veggies from the allowed list for induction and your total carb count for the day is 20 (give or take a couple), you're fine. The main thing is that you should be getting the majority of your carbs for the day during induction from veggies. If you want to saute' them in olive oil or put them in broth, fine!
It's good that you're thinking creatively already; this will be a great asset in this WOE so that you can come up with all sorts of "legal" combinations to keep your meals interesting.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 03:35
Registered Member

Plan: Anything that works
Stats: 184/150/117
BF:45%/40%/15%
Progress: 51%
Default Anne-Marie

Try cooked vegies...broccoli, cauliflower cheese is good with those and allowed in moderation, try spinach, silver beet, sprouts, I ate mushrooms on Induction and it was fine for a week. I fried them with my tomatoes for breakfast. Poached eggs with that is yummy and couple slices of black pudding when off Induction...yummy.