Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 12:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Kendall Interviews Cucuzzella

Right around the time I mentioned Dr. Mark Cucuzzella in another thread, I received an email from Marty Kendall with the following link to this interview. I'm posting here because they cover such a broad range of important topics. Mark is one of the most positive leading voices in nutritional health in the US. As a physician, he treats people with metabolic challenges in a way that emphasizes nutrient density and lower carb, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnJfVbrPeL4&t=2390s
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 12:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That was the very first interview Marty posted last June, so not many noticed it the first go round, and it is very good. Thank you for adding it here…you are lucky to have him as your doctor.!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 13:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That was the very first interview Marty posted last June, so not many noticed it the first go round, and it is very good. Thank you for adding it here…you are lucky to have him as your doctor.!

Wasn't aware it was released last year. Thanks. Still relevant, and a valuable discussion between a couple who are making a difference in health awareness, and reposting it is timely as we must continue to be aware that there are GPs like Mark helping people at the community and grass-roots levels.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 16:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Wasn't aware it was released last year. Thanks. Still relevant, and a valuable discussion between a couple who are making a difference in health awareness, and reposting it is timely as we must continue to be aware that there are GPs like Mark helping people at the community and grass-roots levels.
I must have started watching it when Marty first linked it, but just finished it. It was recorded in December 2020 and is still relevant, especially the emphasis on improving health & immunity, which the mainstream doctors & media aren't doing, apparently because they think it would deter people from getting vaccines. No, we can do both!

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Jan-17-22 at 15:49.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 21:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
No, we can do both!

Exactly!!!!

I often find the hour long "interviews" challenging. Sure love the ability to watch in chunks, allowing my mind to digest the detailed information.

Thanks for posting.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-22, 03:43

Arielle, if you like small chunks of information, Marty even posted his big interview with Dr Ted Naiman as 7 short topic segments. Find them about 6 - 9 months ago on the YT channel videos list, (also podcasts). They explain the Protein Leverage hypothesis, Carb- insulin theory, Nutrient Dilution, the True Role of Insulin, etc

https://youtube.com/channel/UCIiUQ0vBKZpK68VySIg1FNw

Marty is a very organized interviewer who asks questions by topic, so most of the interviews with nutrition experts, can be listened to in "chunks"…enjoy.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-22, 10:08

Listened to a new interview with Dr. Mark last night in a small membership group. He and two other doctors from U of VA and CO will soon publish a study in JAMA-Diabetes on Remission of Diabetes. The study participants received a CGM, and a simple book with food list to guide their food choices. He spoke about doctors being able to offer the participants Continuous Care, and do it with Compassion. Last August he had published Adapting Medication for Type 2 Diabetes to a Low Carbohydrate Diet. https://www.frontiersin.org/article...21.688540/full?
to help guide doctors adjust medications. He is now working on another new study involving Pediatric Obesity. He is helping the most obese and diabetic state (WV) find a path to better health.
Dr Cucuzzella is well known for getting sugary drinks out of his hospital. Big surprise, I learned that DukeHealth has removed sugary drinks as of Jan 1st, but they have not yet made any announcement about it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-22, 11:14

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Cucuzzella is well known for getting sugary drinks out of his hospital. Big surprise, I learned that DukeHealth has removed sugary drinks as of Jan 1st, but they have not yet made any announcement about it.

In the YouTube talk by Dr Bruce Ames that Ms Arielle posted:

https://youtu.be/ZVQmPVBjubw

Dr Ames references a study from 2014, I believe, that lists where Americans get their most calories. Tops on the list was sugary sodas. It's rather horrifying and great that some doctors and medical institutions are doing something about it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-22, 12:37

For that brief time Dr. Colin Champ was at Duke Cancer Center, I had a consultation with him and gave him a hard time about the sugary drinks in the lobby Cafe. Said the change was slow, Dr. Will Yancy was involved in getting this done, but it is still surprising that the vending machines and cafe's around a hospital are loaded with sugar. Mind you, this change is only for drinks..the snacks are unchanged.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-27-22 at 14:32.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-22, 12:39

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I recall a documentary from ~2014 about dental decay which was worse in the SE US, with teenagers talking about how much Mountain Dew etc. they drank. One said ~10 bottles/day as if that was a normal amount for anyone. And the interviewer noticed he had a 2-quart bottle and asked - THAT sized bottle??? Yes. So 20 quarts of sugary soft drinks a day. He was only ~14 and his teeth were all rotted down to little brown stubs. They must have been incredibly painful!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-22, 09:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I recall a documentary from ~2014 about dental decay which was worse in the SE US, with teenagers talking about how much Mountain Dew etc. they drank. One said ~10 bottles/day as if that was a normal amount for anyone. And the interviewer noticed he had a 2-quart bottle and asked - THAT sized bottle??? Yes. So 20 quarts of sugary soft drinks a day. He was only ~14 and his teeth were all rotted down to little brown stubs. They must have been incredibly painful!

I saw that documentary as well. It's amazing when you check the ingredients of Mountain Dew, the initial and striking realization is the quantity of sugar, but equally striking is the amount of caffeine. Just think how fast that clears the blood of the sugar high, the corresponding release of insulin creating a hypo state just makes people want to drink more. In this case, Mountain Dew is a borderline drug due to its ability to create carb addicts from its consumption.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-22, 06:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
In this case, Mountain Dew is a borderline drug due to its ability to create carb addicts from its consumption.

We tolerate it in bakery shops, which pride themselves on providing caffeine and sugar and wheat. Those are all three addictive substances if people could actually get information about what they eat. Instead, we get articles about "the healthiest Starbucks choices" which focuses on calories and fat, and ignore sugar.

Ever notice people do that? They will go on and on about how red meat will drop you in your tracks, but sugar is harmless, okay? Just don't eat a whole cake at once, okay?

If you stated this in most groups that are not focused on the topic like this forum is, you would be decried as an "alarmist" and told not to be so silly. They will do that "everything in moderation" thing which boils down to not wanting to think about how often they get sugar water coffee. Those fancy coffee drinks can be very high: their Java Chip Frappuccino has 80 grams of sugar! A 12 ounce Coke has 39. An average Caramel Macchiato has 25.

Especially if that group includes anyone who benefits from the metric tons of money to be made selling sugar water. Because this isn't just about the manufacturers of that sugar water, it's also about where they sell... and where they advertise.

And what they push as "good for you."
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-22, 09:00

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
In this case, Mountain Dew is a borderline drug due to its ability to create carb addicts from its consumption.
I'm currently reading The Diet Whisperer and in it they call it Fizzy Drink Syndrome.

Quote:
Too often we see obese teenagers walking along, swinging at their side, a 2-litre (c. 4 pints) plastic bottle of fizzy drink. They keep it close, to continuously fuel the fire of their sugar addiction, what we call fizzy drink syndrome (FDS). The teens don't know why they are trapped in this cycle of ever-increasing obesity. They don't need to eat any food to be trapped. They are not only trapped by increasing weight and fat but are also laying down new fat cells; something unique to children and adolescents. With repeated periodic drinking, insulin circulation is continuously high, locking the fat into the cells. Then hypos trigger more drinking. And the cycle goes on.
Quote:
Even worse, the HFCS in this fizzy drink bottle directly stimulates ghrelin, our hunger hormone. The HFCS also directly inhibits our satiety hormone, leptin, and builds leptin resistance. This results in further hunger for more fizzy drinks. This is FDS and is the cycle of doom. It is refined carbohydrates addiction; it terrifies me that so many teenagers have it. Undiagnosed and untreated, it will lead to a reduced healthspan and lifespan. In other words, they'll constantly feel terrible, get horrible inflammatory diseases and die early. And remember, fruit juice does the very same thing. Fizzy drinks are more dangerous than cigarettes, and our kids can buy them with impunity. That's not liberty, it's lunacy!
Scary stuff

Last edited by Demi : Sun, Jan-30-22 at 01:19.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-22, 11:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I'm currently reading The Diet Whisperer and in it they call it Fizzy Drink Syndrome.

Scary stuff

I like the term FDS. Yes, scary stuff where you rarely see a criticism of the negative health impact of fizzy soda carried to an extent where the medical communities inspire the media to treat it like it once treated tobacco. It's just as dangerous if not more when consumed by young kids. Tobacco use started at a later age, so this behavior is harming young kids at an early age. Fruit juice seems to get a pass, as it's considered healthy. When my kids were young, apple juice in a sippy cup was a constant companion of all kids at that age.

I need to adjust my statement, as Mountain Dew is not simply a borderline drug, it is a drug.