Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 08:46

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%
Default Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Well after the scale this morning I've decided to return to smoking. I hit 142.6. It took me over 9 months to get below 140. Now I'm leaping back up there again. I haven't changed my eating. I'm still exercising. I sat and sobbed this morning. At least when I die the pall bearers will have a light casket to carry rather than a heavy one. I realize that metabolism slows some, but this is ridiculous. I cannot afford a 20 pound gain. I bought some cigarettes this morning and I've enjoyed every one I've smoked so far. Sorry I sound so angry, but this is utterly nuts. I cannot deal with the weight gain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Oh dear. I totally sympathize - I've fought to quit smoking on and off for 30 years. When I started this WOL in 2003, I thought I could change the eating and the smoking at the same time. Wrong. But you know what? I think that's OK. We can only fight so many battles at once. You can't beat yourself up over this. And we're in this for the long haul, right? IMO, and I'm sure some will disagree: Get the weight where you want it to be, get comfortable that you can keep it there, and then tackle the smoking.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 11:31
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

What was your main reason for trying to quit smoking?
I fully understand that you were having a hard time with the weight gain. I just hate mine. Going back to smoking is just not an option for me. If ya ever do decide to quit again gimme a visit. I'd be more than happy to lend a shoulder.

Angel
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 18:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Camaromom, considering that you were using a nicotine patch and still smoking a few cigarettes a day (yes, I peeked in your journal), I really don't think that your attempt to quit is what's responsible for the weight gain; you were probably still getting nearly as much nicotine as you were before you attempted to quit.
Stress, on the other hand, can do nasty things to your weight through stress hormones and it seems that you've had plenty of that lately. Choosing to give up smoking during an already stressful time only added more stress.

Hang in there...we all have to decide when the time and motivation to quit are right to make the attempt and to hell with a few pounds gained (btw..average weight gain in those who quit is between 5 and 10 pounds).
The next time you decide to quit, check out some of these links for tips on how to deal with those few extra pounds.

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_06_01_weight_control.html
http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_06_03_...eight_dead.html
http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_06_04_...r_quitting.html
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 21:06

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't buying cigs, but I had a few friends who were always willing to bum me one. I don't understand the gain, but I just could not deal with it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 00:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

That's the thing about the smokes. They are the 800 lb gorilla that is always there silently by your side, ready to lean in and say "there, there, I'm still here to make you feel better." That's why I think you have to be in full armor, ready for battle, waving your sword and scared of nothing before you take that gorilla on.

Lisa's point about the stress is right on. Because the thing is, that gorilla will always be sitting there. Nicotine addiction, unlike carb or sugar addiction, never goes away for some of us. It will be a life-long battle, and at some point you will be willing to shoulder that. (And at some point, I will be, too. I hope.) Hang in there -
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 14:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/154/126 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can anyone explain how smoking or not, affects your metabolism (sorry if this is a dumb question) I packed in 6th Jan and started the Atkins 7 days ago lost 2lb in 7 days not a great deal but I never loose quick anyway!! would not start the fags again in favour of weight loss it was soooooo hard to pack in, in the first place, so sorry you caved in but pick yourself up dust yourself off and start all over again you are doing great!!!! And as this is a way of life I dont want fags in my life!