Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-19, 09:45

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

If you decided you wanted to be able to bench press 100 lbs, you'd go to the gym religiously and eventually meet your goal. But you can't stop going to the gym completely then, go back a year later or even a month later and be shocked that you can't bench 100 lbs. any more. However, it also doesn't take the same level of effort or the same process to maintain that ability as it did to build to it.

I think, ultimately, we have to be as committed to maintenance as we are to losing weight to start with. I don't want to say that you have to do the exact same thing you did to lose weight, but you have to find what works for you and stay committed to it.

I don't want to think about this and we don't talk about it, because mentally it seems so overwhelming, especially early on in our journey. It takes everything I have to stay committed at a level where I'm losing weight. It makes me want to cry to think that I'll have to do this every day for the rest of my life. And my life isn't all that complicated, really. If your life is complicated, then what?

Yes, it gets easier over time, as our diet becomes more routine to us and we're more used to eating this way than the way we used to eat. But it still takes ongoing, serious, day-in, day-out commitment. That's hard. Really hard.

In the low carb community, there's a lot of happy happy talk about how easy this is and how there's no deprivation and blah blah blah. But if we're going to get real: It's easier than losing weight through plain calorie restriction, but I wouldn't call it easy. And you can't eat anything you want, which is honestly going to feel like deprivation sometimes. The talk about how "easy" it is disguises the real commitment that it takes, making it really easy to find yourself eating too much or eating crap or eating too much crap again without knowing how you got there.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-19, 14:33

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I can't do maintenance. I guess I'm unlucky. If I go over 20 carbs a day, I start gaining again. If I cheat I'll put 2 or 3 pounds on and it will take 2 weeks to get it off again.

So the Atkins Induction has become my lifelong diet plan (it's called keto now).

Both my parents died of obesity diseases, and I decided in the 1970s that I wasn't going to check out early that way. I don't know if there is a happy hunting ground after death or not, I do know there is life BEFORE death, and I'm going to hang out here as long as possible, and live the kind of life so if there is a hereafter, I go to the good place.

Bob
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-19, 20:20

Plan: lchf
Stats: 266/227/199 Male 5/11
BF:waist 56 inches
Progress: 58%

thanks to everybody for their participation in this thread.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 21:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Yes, it gets easier over time, as our diet becomes more routine to us and we're more used to eating this way than the way we used to eat. But it still takes ongoing, serious, day-in, day-out commitment. That's hard. Really hard.

There was someone on the fb OA page that I wanted to slap. She said she tried giving up wheat & sugar but "it was too hard with everyone around me eating it." Whine. Whine.

Of course it's hard! I'm diabetic & like Bob, I have to keep my carbs below 20, as well as my protein below 65g. I can't give up unless I want to die a very painful death due to diabetic complications.

I gave up for a while last year & regained about 40 pounds. Why? Because my favorite donkey was sick & the vet said he'd be dead in a couple months. But eating too much, letting my bg get too high, & gaining weight did nothing for Leo (who, by the way, recovered in spite of the diagnosis).

Not being totally stupid I learned from that. I won't let emotions control my eating - & I've had a couple of real-life tests since then.

Of course, sliding into complacency & eating "just a little" off-plan is harder to spot. Which is why I write down everything I eat. When I'm really organized (not too often, I'm afraid) I write down what I plan to eat.

A while back I read a quote that resonated with me: One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to give up instead of what they have to gain. (Rick Godwin)

I've always been a foodie & having to give up my homemade bread & other carby goodies really hurt. It took me a LONG time to learn to cook wonderfully tasty low carb food. Now that I look forward to lovely veggies, eggs, & meat made with butter, olive oil, & toasted sesame oil, I don't miss the bread all that much. Tho I can still be tempted, so I won't allow it in the house.

And then there are the deathless words of Thud: STOP EATING SHIT! Amen brother! At the Thanksgiving dinner we went to today, there were people all around me eating shit - I mean, previously frozen apple pie with cool whip? But I kept carbs & protein low & felt good. Sometimes a little yelling helps, even if it's just in my head.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 00:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im asking all my family members to give up grains and sugar post thanksgiving. Having the SAD holiday crap around is killing me. When Im well i to ketosis its easy to pass on the junk but I need a few weeks of hard core vlc to gain control of eating.

Dr Atkins book is like a Bible. We can never go back to the old way of eating. And maintenance level of carbs is very personal; 20 carbs maybe maintenance for one person, and 75 carbs for another person.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 09:57

BF:

• That stuff will kill me
At first, my family and friends thought I was weird for not eating the carb stuff, and said so. Decades later they probably still think I'm weird but found talking about it is useless. And I'm the only one in my family less than 300 pounds.

It was never hard to be good around others. I just thought one of these two phrases
  • I don't eat that anymore
  • That stuff will kill me
And when offered I politely said, "No thank you."

Your body is the only vehicle you have to carry yourself through this life. If broken, sometimes you can repair it, but you rarely can actually fix it. Sometimes you can't even repair it. So prevention is the key.

Bob
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 11:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
And when offered I politely said, "No thank you."
Bob

It took me way too long to learn this. I always thought I needed to explain, but really, no one cares! More for them.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 16:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
It took me way too long to learn this. I always thought I needed to explain, but really, no one cares! More for them.

A simple "No thank you" works most of the time. If people ask, I just say I'm on a restrictive diet, that usually ends it.

Bob
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 16:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
A simple "No thank you" works most of the time. If people ask, I just say I'm on a restrictive diet, that usually ends it.

Bob

That's what I've found, too. Tho I will more often say I have diabetes. Since most people don't really know what that entails they leave it at that.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 13:13

Plan: lchf
Stats: 266/227/199 Male 5/11
BF:waist 56 inches
Progress: 58%

if we don't find out why we needed to numb out with food the weight will come back on.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 14:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That's what I've found, too. Tho I will more often say I have diabetes. Since most people don't really know what that entails they leave it at that.

If they persist, I might say "Doctors orders" and they might assume diabetes.

They don't have to know it's Dr. Atkins.

Bob
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 17:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good one , Bob. ROFL

For now, Im living a recluse lc life to get control back....it ran away in September....
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-19, 08:20

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Maintenance is hard for me - I have no goal to work toward. Beside, I am constitutionally inconsistent - about everything.
People say to me things like, "you look like you've lost weight" than bring me peanut butter cookies.
If I say I am allergic to grains, they bring me oatmeal cookies.

Having weight issues is like being handicapped or left handed - people who do not have these issues are oblivious.

So we have to protect ourselves from the well meaning who have no idea they are sabotaging us.

We just have to be polite about it and not share our frustrations with them