Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 16:39

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbsBeGon
Hi Rob01 - welcome! As for the whole "your riding will suffer if you do low carb" thing, I think that's true if you're really racing and piling on 50+ miles. Indeed, I usually augment my carb amount by 20-30 carbs when I'm riding longer distances. I do this in the form of Accelerade (www.accelerade.com) mixed into one of my water bottles. It has protein as well as some carbs so it works great for me and I continue to lose when I use it. The best thing to do is just experiment - see how many carbs you need to prevent a bonk and how many you can add in and still stay in ketosis. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I've had no problems on longer rides by just snacking on some nuts while I ride. Almonds work best for me as they are easier to handle while riding. I do add electrolytes to my water to make up for what is lost in sweat.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 17:53
Circling...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbsBeGon
Gypsy - as I said in your journal - that's NICE! I look forward to hearing about your rides and you should get somebody (Time? ) to take some pics of you riding!

Why would I want pictures of me riding? Some things remain unnecessary. And don't make me have to break Time's fingers.

I did take the bike out after I picked it up for a little ride. Only did about 8 miles to see how it felt. Feels great... way different than my mtb. The only thing that is weird is a specific foot pain I'm having. It's my outer right foot. It doesn't seem uncommon when I researched it on bikeforum (Specific search result HERE ). But I'm using the same pedals and shoes I had on my mtb so that seems weird. Anyway.... I'll figure it out...

So anyone else riding these days?
  #153   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 22:19
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
The only thing that is weird is a specific foot pain I'm having. It's my outer right foot. It doesn't seem uncommon when I researched it on bikeforum (Specific search result HERE ). But I'm using the same pedals and shoes I had on my mtb so that seems weird. Anyway.... I'll figure it out...

So anyone else riding these days?
Hi Gypsy!!

I have that foot pain after about 60miles now.. I get my feet out of my shoes for a few minutes and I'm fine. I haven't figured it all out yet, but what helps me...

wiggle my toes in my shoes every few miles
loosen up my shoes as my feet swell
make sure I'm pedaling in the round.. I've noticed that the more uphills I have, the quicker the pain comes

....just a few thoughts. Hope they help.

Mike
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 22:27
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

ok... this is a separate post... I just got done riding in my first MS150 bike ride. 180miles from Houston, Texas to Austin, Texas. I chronicled my ride in my journal, but Gypsy told me about this link and thought people might be interested in the story..

It was and AWESOME experience for me...

Getting Ready

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...&postcount=3841

The first Day

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...&postcount=3842

Lagrange: the pit stop for the first leg of the Amazing Ride

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...&postcount=3844

Day 2

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...&postcount=3848

The Finish

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...&postcount=3849

Nice to meet everyone!!

Mike
  #155   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 17:20
Circling...

BF:

Thanks for posting the story Mike. I reread it and still love it. I would love to be able to do a multi day bike ride with camping at night. Don't know if I'll ever be in shape to do it but we'll see.

And thanks for the suggestions on the foot pain. It's weird. And as I said they aren't new shoes or pedals.... I switched them out from my mountain bike. I'm going to another LBS on Monday for a fitting. The shop I bought the bike at gave me decent service and a good deal on the bike but no fitting. I know there are people who swear by expert fittings and people who say they're a waste but I figure what the heck? I'll see what they say about the foot pain and see what adjustments they advise. If I ride the bike and it feels worse or I just don't like what they recommend I'll change things.
  #156   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default bike fit

Bike fit is crucial. There should be no debate about that. An incorrect fit can lead to all kinds of pains and eventually injury.
  #157   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 22:46
Circling...

BF:

Thanks for the advice Dug. I tried to go for a fitting today but the fit guy was leaving at 1 and I couldn't get in before then. I'm going to try Thursday.
  #158   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 08:25
Circling...

BF:

Hi cyclists!
I did finally get an expert fit. It seemed pretty good and included getting on and off the bike a bunch of times while it was on the trainer, pedaling fast, pedaling slow, standing up, sitting down, hands on the hoods and drops, measurements in all different positions, stop with my feet here, stop with my feet there... he used a measuring tape and a weight on a string thing, and finally a road test. He seemed like he knew what he was doing. At least I hope he did.
The changes he made were... lowering the seatpost, moving the saddle back, initially he tilted the handlebars up but ended up switching out the stem for a shorter one that also had a more of an upwards angle.
So we'll see. I haven't been on a lengthy ride since the fitting. I'll post how it feels when I do. I'm getting a little more used to the road bike. I still don't like it near as much as my mountain bike... don't know if I ever will.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 09:03

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Glad to hear your fitting went well - and was so thorough. I predict that once you get used to riding your new C'dale you'll like it every bit as much - if not more - than your mtb. I know that's been the case for me, although I still enjoy riding my mtb too...
  #160   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 09:13
Circling...

BF:

Hold onto that thought Carbs... I'll let you know in a couple years. LOL!
  #161   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 19:42
Circling...

BF:

Hi folks! Anyone riding these days?

I wanted to report that since my fitting my bike has been great. I have had no more foot pain and as of today I feel great about the bike. I don't know what exactly happened during today's ride but it all kind of clicked! I felt good in the saddle, felt in control, and everything just felt good. Now that's not saying I won't lay it down hard on some concrete anytime but I feel better!

I also joined a local cycling club so I hope to get some riding time with a group. Still kind of a scary thought but I figured I might as well.

This weekend is the Wachovia Cycling Series in Philadelphia. I plan on staying with a friend in Philly Saturday night and we're going to watch Sunday's race from a good spot in Manayunk. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll get some decent photos.
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

If you ride long enough you will crash. Usually you just lose a little skin :-). Glad the bike fit helped. It is amazing how much difference that can make.
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 08:51
Circling...

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug
If you ride long enough you will crash. Usually you just lose a little skin :-). Glad the bike fit helped. It is amazing how much difference that can make.

LOL! I've lost a good amount of skin from mountain biking... I suppose I should lose some to the road as well.

I really was surprised at how much the fit helped. He didn't make any major changes. But the bunch of little changes he made definitely made a difference! Glad I had it done!

Last edited by GypsyAngel : Thu, Jun-02-05 at 10:19.
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 19:19

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Anyone still here?? My 10-year-old son and I just did a 40 mile charity ride today (our longest distance ever) and it was great!

My not-so-little 10 yo has decided that he wants to race bikes more this year, so he is part of a youngster training group and has a coach now. Needless to say, I am going to have to pile on the miles to keep up with him!
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 19:46

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

That's great!

Forty miles for a 10 year old is fantastic. Now you've got to get him a racing bike.

I haven't been riding much lately as I have started walking again for exercise. I did manage to get in 32 miles today.

Yesterday I did a 10 mile memorial ride for a local cyclist killed by an SUV driver. Three hundred cyclists did the ride. It was the only time I remember riding my bike with tears of sadness in my eyes.