Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 19:20

Plan: Berstein
Stats: 174/177/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default advice please!

Hello everyone I am a type 1 diabetic and i was on the Bernstein lo carb 2 years ago lost 20 lbs well I since went off the low carb and gained it back. Well I have been on the lo carb again my sugars are awesome but I cannot lose any weight I actually GAINED! I feel like I am ballooning. I eat 25 carbs daily. Can anyone here relate? and do you have a success story? HELP! Went to the doc and she tested my hormone levels so still waiting for that. My thyroid was fine by the way a month ago too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 20:18

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you tried Symlin?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 10:48

BF:

Have you tried pumping? What is your exercise reg look like? If you give us some more details we might be better able to comment. What does a daily menu look like?

V.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 18:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/188/180 Male 5.9
BF:
Progress:

Hi epstcb.
I am a T2. I have the same problem, can’t loose weight. I am also low carbing, around 30 carbs a day.
When I cut back on my overall caloric intake I loose weight, the only way that works for me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 06:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Ultimately you need to understand that low carbing in it of itself doesn't bring your weight down.

It is a low carb way of life that also means lower caloric intake that brings your weight down.

The idea behind low carbing is that you are eating more foods that satisfy your appetite namely proteins and in the long run you are able to exist on a lower calorie program.

No magic here.

Weight goes down when you take less calories in than going outl.

Ralph
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 20:49

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Have you changed the type of Insulin that you are using since the first time LC. Remember this is a life stye change, you can't LC and then go off and expect to not gain.
But I do know many Insulins can cause weight gain. So let us know on that.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 06:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
Have you changed the type of Insulin that you are using since the first time LC. Remember this is a life stye change, you can't LC and then go off and expect to not gain.
But I do know many Insulins can cause weight gain. So let us know on that.

Correct me if I am wrong, it is not the insulin that makes you gain weight.

As I understand it insulin may increase your appetite and therefore you have a tendency to eat more food.

More food is then more calories.

More calories in than out you gain weight.

I am on insulin, Levemir to be exact and I had been using bolus insulin namely Novolog. What I noticed is that if I didn't pay attention to my total calorie intake I gained weight and in fact I did after I started the insulin.

But now I am paying close attention to my total calorie intake and in fact have cut back on it significantly to help lose weight.

Since the beginning of the year I have lost 19 pounds. Since the beginning of my new structured eating program I have already lost 8 to 9 pounds in one week; yes this will slow down, but the message here is I am eating less and losing weight while on insulin.

Also, my need for bolus insulin has been virtually entirely eliminated. The way I am eating, many small meals across the day, makes it easy to control my BG levels. My FBG almost every morning now is under 100, in fact this morning it was 92. During the day it rarely gets up to 120 after I have eaten and frequently goes lower than 80.

Net result is I have already cut back on my basal insulin from 40 unit in the am and pm to 28 units in the am and pm while continuing to measure my BG levels frequently during the day and getting good readings.

So again, with all due respect, it gets back to caloric intake.

Measure your food. Measure your portion sizes. Document as best as you can what you are consuming. Use a scale and just record what you are consuming in a day for a couple of weeks and you will get a better idea as to what is going on.

I submit these thought with all due respect to everyone's comments and thoughts since we are all trying to help each other achieve our goals.

Ralph
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 10:19

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone for your responses My morning meal consists of 2 eggs with cheese than for lunch I have a half of romaine heart with about a tablespoon of bacon bits (the real bacon kind) with a small handful of walnuts and some fresh parm cheese about 1/8 of a cup with olive oil and vinegar dressing.For dinner I always have a hamburger patty with cheese or a chicken breast plain. With a side of asparagus or green beans with seasoning on it. Thats what I do everyday I am limited cause i have the family to cook for too. As far as calories I do not think I am consuming alot. I am on Lantus 10 in the morning and 25 at night and the novolg 7 in the morning and 2 to 4 before lunch and dinner. I was on the same program 2 years ago and lost weight gained it back now I am back on it and the weight wont budge. I do 20 minutes of WII Fit each day and I do not have a problem with over eating I am totally satified with what i eat everyday. If I had to cut back I would not have aproblem. I had hormone tests done and everything is normal. I am using the same insulin since last time also. Thanks everyone for the advice
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 10:22

BF:
Progress:

Ralph .. How does the Levemir work for you have you been on Lantus before? If so what differences have you seen thanks
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 06:28

BF:

Hi,

From what I understand Levemir and Lantus are virtually the same; albeit Dr. Bernstein favored Lantus. My Doctor simply prescribed Levemir when I started and it has worked fine.

I would have to go back to Dr. Bernsteins' book Diabetes Solution to see what if any difference there really was and why he favored it.

As to what you are eating, sit down and add up the calories.

How tall are you?

What is your frame size?

What is your ideal weight?

Is it 115 as you indicate as your goal.

If so, then you should be limiting your calorie intake in the range of
1035 to 1265 calories per day.

I have read so many times about how much an individual burns per ideal pound based on basil metabolism. It ranges from 9 calories per pound up to 11 calories per pound. Some folks are higher than the 11.

That is how I arrived at your 1035 to 1265 range.

For me at now 269.4 I was having difficulty losing weight at 2000 calories or so. I am now working in the range of 1200-1600 and I do best when I am around 1200.

I am just throwing some ideas out at you. So take the time to assess what you are eating and see how many calories it adds up to.

Also, are you exercising. I am back to walking at least one mile a day and I am now getting that back up to two miles a day and perhaps as I progress three miles a day. That calorie burn helps me and would help you as well.

So, my purpose here is to give some examples. Do some personal research and figure these things out for yourself.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 08:57

BF:

Some thoughts:

Your diet sounds great and consistent. Are you having lows that you have to treat though?
I would recommend asking your doctor about starting symlin- I lost immediately on it. Also- have you thought about the pump? You can drastically reduce your insulin usage. And yes, insulin is a fat storing hormone- and the more you take, the more you'll gain, regardless of your caloric intake, imo.
I would also suggest increasing your exercise. Use weights; wear a heart monitor to make sure that you are reaching your target.

Just some thoughts from a T1.

V.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 05:43

BF:

Hi V -

Have a great day too.

Ralph

Last edited by dancinbr : Sat, Apr-11-09 at 06:52.