Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up Just had my last cig

That's is, after reading all your posts, dealing with the addiction, and the endless taxes on the cigs, I'm done.
As of 3:15pm on 3-5-02, I had my last cig.

Tryed having less per day, didn't work. Tryed Zyban for 3-weeks, didn't work. I was standing in front of the display of patches and gum thinking, what the h~ll an I doing?!?! They still contain nicatien in them, which is the addiction. (Besides mentally)

Threw out everything that is associated with smoking. Ash trays, lighters, emptyed the trash so not to smell anything with smoking too.

Will see how it goes tonight. Figure if I hold out tonight and not buy any, busy myself, I'll have a track record going I won't what to break tomorrow.

I've quit drinking (3-1/2yrs), quit high carb foods (9-months), now quit smoking ( 10-minutes )

I am determined to do this now.

Cheers, John
PS: See I can't even spell nicat.... something. lol! No cig box in front of me
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:57

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Prepare yourself for a few hard days

That's great progress - going from strength to strength. Powerful decisions.

As you will know from the withdrawal symptoms with the alcohol or with the carbs the same is coming with the nicotine. It is one good way of doing it though.

You should hear all the pathetic excuses bf keeps coming up with as to when exactly he is going to start cutting down .

Remember there is light at the end of the dark tunnel and you will see it very soon.

Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 185/180/144 Female 5'8"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 12%

I just have one question?

What are we going to do with you now that you're darn near perfect?

Awesome -- one step at a time!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:29

BF:
Angry GRRRRRrrrrrr this is hard

7-hrs down and the craving for the damn cigs is incredible! Can't believe it.
I can feel the crave / urge to have one like every 10-15 seconds.

Grrrr this is going to be a long night and next couple of days! 15-yrs of cigs. Keep putting in my mind, that if I go get one, I have to start over again and go thur the same withdrawals!

"%#$~*%#~ " , John

Gillian - Far from perfect, just trying to aim towards that direction.

Fiona - The withdrawal symptoms from alcohol or the carbs, were no where near the intensity of this.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:40

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up re quitting smoking

Wow..
Good for you. I would love to quit smoking (not bad enough apparantly). I hope it works out for you. I know it will be a hard journey. Dont be too hard on yourself.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 06:00

BF:
Angry #%^#$~~!*$# - Grrrr hour 16

Made it thur the night, now on hour 16 smoke free. Never thought that I would have withdrawals like this.

Anybody who says cig's are not a drug, is dead wrong!

Quitting high carb foods, sugar, and coffee, was easier than this!
On with today, don't want to give up now, don't want to go thur those first hours again. Figure it can't get worse than this.

Grrrrrrrr, Cheers,
John
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:31
Registered Member

John, you're doing great! I think that I pretty much slept for the first three days of withdrawal -- was dizzy, had major brain fog etc. It's not fun, but you only have to do it ONCE! Read alot at Freedom and Whyquit -- everytime I read that stuff, I get something different out of it. Make sure you join Freedom in, 53 hours? Did you get a quit meter downloaded? It's fun to watch the minutes of not smoking tick away! :-) Keep posting here until you can join Freedom -- there's great support here as well!
Attached Images
File Type: gif ntp16.gif (11.4 KB, 155 views)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 11:49

BF:
Angry Hour 20 Grrr

Still hanging in there. Getting a little better. Am mixing cranberry juice with water. Cranberry juice is good for flushing out the nicotine. Chewing sugarless gun and some sugarfree mints. Lots of water, I'm floating.

Will have to check out the counter thing Gillian, I saw others that had it. But didn't know where to get one. Would be cool to watch the counter go.

The cravings are starting to lessen now. Good thing, only one person at work smokes (now ) and he has been going outside and since I'm not smoking, he's only had 2-3 cigs all morning.

Sprayed air freshener all over the place, office, furniture, carpets, and my truck.
Hung car air fresheners in the truck too. It's amazing what you can smell now. I can smell musty smoke in clothes, hair, and even when someone passes by. No wonder non-smokers or X-smokers hate the smokers. I'm starting to reliese how smoke really smells.

Grrr.... Cheers, John
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 10:52
Registered Member

How's it going, John?
I love all your Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs and the 'Cheers!'
The thought for today is that every craving will pass. If it's really bad, tell yourself that you can have one, just not now, a little later. Then, you feel better because you aren't really being deprived and saying you can't, but by the time later comes, you don't want one anymore anyway! This is a war and fighting this must be your only priority for awhile! There were a few days when my husband asked what I had done that day and I replied that, "I didn't smoke."

Good luck, hope you're having a great day!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:35

BF:
Wink Small " grr "

Ahhh, counter says: 1-day, 23-hours, 9-minutes, 25-seconds. Since last cig.

Withdrawals are basically gone. Boy, kept thinking, if I give in now and decide to quit again later, I don't want to have to go thur the first day and a half again. That's really what kept me on track and honest. Brutal to say the least.
Shaking, lost on what to do, not too mad, and eyes bugging out of my head on the first night and day. Just wired up like crazy.

No convincing me otherwise, Cig's are drugs. I would rather quit drinking and high carb food, sugar, and caffee all at the same time, rather than quit smoking again, for the first 2 days.

Think it's all out of my system now. The smell in my truck, furniture, home and office is unbearable. Been spaying air fresheners like mad. Just finished shampooing the carpets in my truck, washed inside and out. Much better now.
Kept thinking that in a week I'll be able to have one, but not now. Figured by then, the smell alone would make me not even concider it.

Small " grr "

Cheer, John
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 14:05

BF:
Thumbs up Fantastic Going!

That is stretching your comfort zones to the limit. You did it. {....since I'm not smoking, he's only had 2-3 cigs all morning. } Already you are an inspiration for others, who are being forced to change because you are changing!!

My bf has got the link to this forum, too - I've stepped up the "polution lecture" and I am soooo glad you are living up to my faith that you will do it.

Watch out for any inbuilt triggers that would, in days gone by, have had you reaching for a cig. Find a replacement - reach for a glass of water instead!

Keep it up John.
Take care.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 22:26

BF:
Thumbs up ahh no longer a slave to nicatine

Made it thur the day, no problem. Went out to dinner, with my 3 favorite friends, "me, myself, and I". Then, on to shoot pool with a couple friends, all the while, people are smoking around me.
Funny, it's like I almost, wasn't ever a smoker. Just sort of burned out of me.

Also the fear of having to go thur those first 2 days to quit again, is enough for me not to pick one up.

Not all my friends know I quit yet. One of them is picking on me now. He goes, " You don't drink, you keep eating all this LC food stuff, no sugar, soda, caffee, and now - no smoking...... What are you gonna do for fun? "
Told him, I'll feel, look, smell, and breath better than you, for starters. Probably live longer, ... be stronger, ........ He cut me off at this point. ( Good thing, I was running out of things to say anyways!! ) He's the last of 2 smokers now. Think it's getting to him. lol

I've tried to get he on board with the LC WOL, just won't go for it. All I can do is offer.

I figure if I can do 2-bars in the same night and not have the urge for a cig, then I'm cured. I still keep lots of sugarless / sugar-free gum and mints around for those times I want to put something in my mouth. That habit is not gone yet.

( No more "Grrr's ") just,...... Cheers, John
PS: Fiona, wait til the new, sort of gf, finds out I don't smoke anymore.

2002 The year of : Whatever I set out to do, failure is not an option
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 02:01

BF:
Default Amazing!

{You don't drink, you keep eating all this LC food stuff, no sugar, soda, caffee, and now - no smoking...... What are you gonna do for fun? " }

Fun?????? How do we buy into the idea of self-destruction as "fun". Not that I haven't done it myself!!

Take care.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default John you're doing great..........

Just wanted to pass on a few things that got me through.....
An urge only lasts for a moment, so just let the time pass.
Mind can't think of two things at the same time, so get distracted.

Sometimes we think we are craving a cig when what we are craving is really the deep breathing that used to go with it. I cut thick straws, like the size from McDonalds, cut them the length of a cig. When I wanted to just relax like I used to with a cig, I'd sit down with my straw and just inhale through the straw. Amazing how satisfying it was and during stressful times it still is for me.
My worst time was after dinner, but the straw became my replacement when ending my meal.

Don't give up, take it a day at a time. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, ..................for me it's turned into 5 years.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 12:16

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Way to go John!!

Sounds like you are doing awesome! I am on day 13 of not smoking, but I'm using the patch (I feel like I'm cheating, but whatever works!). I'm just not strong enough to go cold turkey. I know what you mean about smells! I can't believe the stuff that I can smell now. I drive by an Italian restaurant every day on my way home from work and I can always smell the tomatoe sauce now. And I made the horrible discovery that one of my friends has awful BO!! Some things are just better not known! Oh well. As for your furniture, car, etc. I have one word for you... Febreeze! And lots of it! Stuff works like a hot damn! You won't smell the stale smoke anymore which should help any cravings that creep up on you.

Keep up the good work, and remember that you are not alone!