Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 10:56
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post The Food-Migraine Connection

The Food-Migraine Connection
Sometimes, what you eat can make your head hurt
By Kelly James-Enger

If you're one of the millions who suffer from migraines, you may want to take a closer look not only at your lifestyle, but at your diet as well.

Doctors know that certain foods can trigger migraines, especially in people who are susceptible to attacks. A recent study of 309 headache sufferers found that one-third experienced food-triggered migraines, with alcoholic drinks, chocolate and cheese among the most common culprits. But according to Dr. Fred Freitag, the associate director of the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago, this number's on the low side; he says about 60 percent of migraine sufferers find that foods trigger their headaches. That figure includes the 20 percent of migraine sufferers who have episodes triggered by caffeine. While some people are sensitive to foods themselves, others get headaches from food additives like monosodium glutamate (MSG), an amino acid salt used for flavor and preservation, and aspartame, an artificial sweetener.

advertisement

Foods that can make your head hurt
Caffeine is a factor in many migraines. "Caffeine is far and away the biggest culprit," says Freitag. "If you drink more than about 200 mg of caffeine a day — that's two cups of coffee — it can start to play a role." MSG is another common culprit, and one that you may be unaware of. "MSG is the sneaky one because it's not always labeled as MSG on labels. It might be labeled as 'natural flavorings' or things like that, so it's sometimes a challenging one to find, but it's a very common player."

In addition to caffeine and MSG, foods that are rich in an amino acid called tyramine can trigger migraines. Tyramine is a byproduct of other amino acids that is often produced during the fermentation process. As a result, you'll find it in foods like ripened cheeses; sour cream; cured meats like sausage, bologna, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and pickled herring; alcoholic beverages like wines and beer; some nuts; and in soy-based foods like tofu. In addition, the National Headache Foundations warns that some fruits and vegetables — including broad beans, lima beans and fava beans, and citrus fruits, figs, raisins, papayas and avocados — can trigger migraines.

What's the connection?
Researchers are still studying the connection between foods and migraines, but it appears that substances like caffeine, MSG and tyramine have a similar, stimulating effect that causes the blood vessels in the brain to constrict. Doctors theorize that one reason some people experience food-triggered migraines is that their bodies lack the enzyme necessary to break down and dispose of tyramine, which means it stays in the body longer and has a more pronounced effect.

Interestingly, it's when the tyramine leaves the body that a migraine is likely to be triggered — a type of rebound effect. In fact, the time between consuming a certain food and developing a migraine can be as short as a couple of hours or as long as 12 to 18 hours. However, foods that contain headache-causing additives can trigger headaches in a shorter time period — like 30 minutes — as the body responds to the additive itself.

Headache-preventing foods
Some foods, rather than triggering migraines, seem to play a preventive role. For example, studies suggest that foods rich in magnesium and B vitamins can help prevent migraines. B vitamins appear to help brain cells lessen their sensitivity to outside factors that might trigger migraines. The mineral magnesium also seems to have a protective effect in the brain, especially in women with hormonally-induced migraines. Foods high in B vitamins include green leafy vegetables, whole grains, wheat germ, beans, fish and eggs; magnesium-rich foods include leafy green vegetables, whole grain cereals, peas, nuts and legumes.

If you're suffering from migraines and suspect that food may be the culprit, keep a food and headache diary to determine whether there's a connection. Pay attention to the combination of foods as well. "People should be aware that sometimes it's not a single food or a single trigger factor — it could be several things together," says Freitag. "For example, I had a woman in my office today who told me that she can eat chocolate and she can drink red wine and they don't give her a headache — but put the two together and it's a lethal combination."

You may find that simply changing your diet makes a significant difference in the number of migraines you experience. Just make sure you talk to your doctor with any concerns or problems.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/220/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Thumbs up migraines

this is a great article! I have had migraines since I was a kid, but since I have been on LC I haven't had any! It had to be something I was eating, I'm so glad that it's over!
Lori
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 06:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 319/298/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I know that movie theater popcorn would give me a migraine everytime!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 10:36

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

i had one yesterday . . . i used to have them all the time but this one was the first one of the year!

I think it's because I had diet pepsi and pizza!