Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 03:27

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!!

MOMD day 3

And decided to cut out the soda so it's a migraine day (well that and my boss is comming today which always gives me a migraine)

Gumby, I know exactly how that is. Got to the point I had to outlaw desserts and popcorn (my favorite snack) when DH and I go out (some resturaunts here serve popcorn while you're waiting for dinner). Although he doesn't really mind since I usually come home and make him a LC dessert (he isn't following but is very supportive).

I am feeling a cold comming on (figures since my nighttime deskclerk was sick last night) so I hope I can stay OP. Bought some 1 carb chicken broth and beef broth so I hope that does the trick.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 05:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/255/150 Female 67
BF:way too much

Hey Losers!!

Good Morning. Feeling good today. I learned something last night I thought I would share. Each day when we get up think of something that you are proud that you achieved the day before or the week before. It starts the day out on a positive note.

Diet pop when I first started Atkins said that the sodium and aspertane (sp?) were hazzardous to weight loss. So, I try to stay away. This week only a 1 pound loss tells me to get away from it again.

Ruth?????? Yooooo Hoooooo where are you??
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 06:43

Plan: Self
Stats: 229/215.5/175 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 25%

OK I think I can do just a can or two a day to start. I am MOMD day 5. Have a great day. ebp
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 03:34

BF:

MOMD days 4

No soda days 1

Well I had a VERY stressful day at work yesterday but I woke up this morning and WOOSH!!! I haven't had a woosh since I started LC this time around almost 7 weeks ago. Was very nice!

ebp - let me know how cutting down the soda goes. I THINK cutting it OUT is what gave me my woosh
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 05:27

I have completely cut it out as well. The only time I have one if it is Diet Rite no caffine and it is made with Splenda. I am down another pound today.
I am going to kick up the exercising another 15 minutes today!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 14:36
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

MOMD day 4

I'm just getting over the cravings from my slip, so staying very strict on my eating, also I need to step up the exercise again, so, I'm beating myself up.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 16:55

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

PORK FAT RULES! Sorry if anyone here keeps kosher, but I just made the BEST rillettes I've ever tasted. I fell in love with this little dish when I was living in France. Last fall I paid a pretty hefty sum to buy some reasonably tasty pork rillettes from a gourmet shop (along with some duck rillettes). A couple of months ago I found a couple of recipes. This week I got my act together enough to MAKE the recipe I had in my head based upon the recipes I'd found. Today I put the pork into the crock pot before work and when I came home there was meltingly tender pork simmering in a savory, scented lard. Oh, it's just too divine for words. And much chaper too. Now I've got about 3 quarts of pork rillettes and a cup of tasty rendered lard left over.

Erin, all my travelling for the next couple of months is actually pleasure. I'll be in Milwaukee for the Bead & Button Show and then visiting a friend in Chicago. I'll be in Boston for a week, visiting friends and officiating a dear friend's wedding. Then I'll be near Seattle for a week visiting other friends and going to the Puget Sound Bead Festival. Somehow all my events just got compressed this year.

Oh, and I'm still MOMD. I'm exhausted because getting enough sleep when the sun's up so late is a challenge, but I'm not over eating as an excuse to fuel.

And I've got rillettes! :happy dance: When I lived in France I'd spread them on crusty bread. Well, I still love them wrapped in Boston lettuce leaves!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 22:05

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi all,

I know, I know, long time, no post.

Things were busy at work and at home and I was just not in the right mood to keep strictly track of my MOMD status. One night I ate 3 fries that my husband had and my son said "Did you email your group first?!". NO I did not.

So, if I count from that day (Sunday) - it's now Thursday, so I'm back MOMD Day 3.

Glad to see so many familar names and avatars.

Keep well.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 05:07

BF:

MOMD days 5
No soda days 2

I think I am almost over the soda withdrawals. I am hoping today I wont have the headache still. Makes it difficult to resist. That being said I have been drinking water and ice tea (made w/ splends not aspartemine) like crazy, about 116 oz a day.

Erin - Grats on being down a pound!

Liddie -don't beat yourself up, your back here where you got TONS of support and we are here to cheer you on. We know you can do it!

oak - what exactly is a rillette for those of us who are NOT gourmet cooks? And what is the recipe?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 05:30

Woo Hooo HK-LowCarb How have you been? I know I was MIA for a long time but am back!!

Meggen keep it going sista and don't turn back to the soda. I had a Diet Rite last night. Splenda is a beautiful thing!

Liddie! how many times have you been there for us. I agree don't beat yourself up! We love ya

Today I have a meeting with a behavorist. It is helping with my emotional eating. I want to cancel but I need it with the weekend coming up

Hugs
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 14:47
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

MOMD day 5

today my BF cooked outside on his new grill, it is a charcoal smoker, he made really great chicken, I love the taste the charcoal gives the food.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 15:23

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggen
oak - what exactly is a rillette for those of us who are NOT gourmet cooks? And what is the recipe?

Meggen, Rillettes are pork (or duck or goose, or even rabbit) cooked slowly in fat and then shredded and packed in ramekins with the rendered fat poured over to seal them. They look sort of like a chunky pate. It's not dissimilar to confit (duck is the best known...duck legs cooked in slowly in their own fat), but it's country French charcuterie (i.e., preserved meat) at it's finest. Not fancy at all. And it's almost embarrassingly simple to make. It's kind of *gourmet* here in the States because it's not a particularly well known method of preparation.

I used fatty pork shoulder plus an additional pound of pork fat, salt, herbes de provence (an herb mixture with lavendar), peppercorns, bay leaves, white wine. You want lots of fat, because that makes the meat meltingly tender.

Chop the pork and the fat into 1-inch chunks. Salt liberally (I probably used about 5-7 tbsp of salt for 5 lbs of meat). Sprinkle with the herbes de Provence and mix well. Put the seasoned meat and fat into a giant ziplock baggie and stick in the fridge for at least 12 hours, and up to a day or two. Take meat out and put it in a roasting pan and roast at 375 for about an hour. Take out of the oven and scrape the meat, fat and juices into a slow cooker. Add peppercorns and bay leaf. Pour about 1/2 cup of white wine in. Cook on LOW for about 6-10 hours. Skim out the meat with one of those big Asian skimmers and put in a bowl. Shred using two forks. Discard any huge chunks of fat (you can put those back in the oven to render further). Pack the shredded meat into ramekins, and then pour enough rendered fat over the meat to dampen and seal it. Cover and refrigerate.

Food of the Gods, I'm telling you. I spread it on Boston lettuce leaves, roll 'em up and eat. Serve some cornichons (mini pickles) on the side. A hunk of Brie is a nice accompaniment.

I had some of mine today and it was a butt wigglin' dancin' sort of meal.

Still MOMD.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 22:02

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi all,

MOMD Day 4 - Friday May 23.

Food was fine yesterday - a bit more Atkins-y than SBD-y - but OK.

Been feeling tense about minor stuff - must be being in my 40s - or maybe I need my vacation soon.

Meggen - good for you on the no soda. One thing I've been doing since X-mas to cut down on my diet soda consumption is I've been drinking home-made soda water. Mr. husband got me a siphon and CO2 cannisters for X-mas and then when I want some fizzy water, I just pour it out of the siphon. I just wish I had a really big and powerful one like in the Marx Brothers movies.

You can also just buy plain soda water in cans or as bottled "seltzer".

Liddie - great on the BBQ - I love that flavor too.

Oak Oh my goodness! I feel full just listening to the recipe !

Erin Thanks for the welcome back. I don't know why I went away, it's kind of like Aretha sings "I used to feel so uninspired..." But things are picking up.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 05:33

Same here HK I don't know why I left but am glad I am back.

I got up early this morning and got 40 minutes in a walk. The dog was shocked! Trying to make a committment to exercising.

Liddie is it a gas grill with the charcole taste?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 16:13

BF:

MOMD days 6
No soda days 3

Off from work and trying to relax. Might try to do a half day saturday (although a half day for me is still 7-8 hours)

HK - For some reason I never like seltzer, but I'm doing ok without soda for the time being.
Closed Thread