Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 05:14

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default I am so discouraged

Here I am, almost 6 months now, and I have not reached my goal weight.
All I wanted to lose was 25 pounds

Granted, I am a very old lady, but I would still like to lose this weight

I have gone from DANDER to Atkins Induction to Carnivore, doing IF, switching from beef to pork - all to no avail. I am beginning to wonder if I have thyroid issues. No way to tell during lockdown. Can't get to the doctor to order blood tests.

In the meanwhile, is there an OTC thyroid booster anyone recommends I try?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 06:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Are you getting enough iodine?

I just started thyroid recently, and while my hands are warmer and Im glad to be on it, my weight has not moved .

Thyroid deficiency has a very long list of symptims so you should be able to self diagnose at this pount until you can blood test. The test helps determine the starting dose.

DANDR has a slew of supplements listed to help with weight loss. Have you looked into those? I know I need to, as my weight has gone up up up since September.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 07:06
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I understand your frustration. You're one of the few people here on the forum older than I am! It's such a struggle for older women to lose any weight at all. I was stalled for 6 years before I came here.

This forum offers real-life experiences and real-time encouragement which have been invaluable to me. I had reached a point where just eating LC wasn't enough to coax the pounds off, and the break for me came 4 years ago when I started following the Fung Protocol. I got to my first goal.

I set myself another goal which was even harder: Keep the weight off and lose a bit more if possible.

Over time, I lost 3 more pounds by giving up dairy. Who knew?

What works for one doesn't work for all. We are all aware of that. I encourage you to stick to your plan because another thing we all know too well is that going back to eating SAD results in regaining the weight along with all the aches and pains we previously left behind.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 11:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
What works for one doesn't work for all. We are all aware of that. I encourage you to stick to your plan because another thing we all know too well is that going back to eating SAD results in regaining the weight along with all the aches and pains we previously left behind.

There isn't anywhere else to go - you are so right!

What really hurt/surprised is that after chugging along at the same weight I suddenly gained 1 1/2 pounds. (Doesn't sound like much but the devil to get rid of once re-gained)

Just keep on keeping on - sigh

Thanks for the support
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 07:55

BF:

As of today I have reached my self imposed goal of losing 25 pounds in 6 months. Sigh. I am still short of my goal by 2 1/2 pounds.

So, as of today, I will weigh only once a week and not daily, I will no longer weigh and measure every dang thing I eat, and enter it into my computer program.

The pressure to lose to a self imposed timetable is over. Now I will maintain my eating pattern but without stressing over it (hopefully) and keep on keeping on.

Eating 2 meals a day now, not eating after 2 pm, and eating primarily carnivore. But i will relax on salads. I love Greek and Cesar salads and will indulge in one or the other once a week if I feel so inclined. Otherwise nothing else will change.

Eventually those 2 1/2 pounds will go away.

Age does make a difference. 14 years ago I lost 80 pounds on Protein Power in the same amount of time.

Discovering just how sensitive I have become to carbohydrates has been an eye opener.

I am hoping that by indulging in a big mac or bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich occasionally won't be like a recovering alcoholic falling off the wagon and going back to drinking.

I may not have met my goal - but I am not quitting.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 09:07

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
As of today I have reached my self imposed goal of losing 25 pounds in 6 months. Sigh. I am still short of my goal by 2 1/2 pounds.

So, as of today, I will weigh only once a week and not daily, I will no longer weigh and measure every dang thing I eat, and enter it into my computer program.

The pressure to lose to a self imposed timetable is over. Now I will maintain my eating pattern but without stressing over it (hopefully) and keep on keeping on.

Eating 2 meals a day now, not eating after 2 pm, and eating primarily carnivore. But i will relax on salads. I love Greek and Cesar salads and will indulge in one or the other once a week if I feel so inclined. Otherwise nothing else will change.

Eventually those 2 1/2 pounds will go away.

Age does make a difference. 14 years ago I lost 80 pounds on Protein Power in the same amount of time.

Discovering just how sensitive I have become to carbohydrates has been an eye opener.

I am hoping that by indulging in a big mac or bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich occasionally won't be like a recovering alcoholic falling off the wagon and going back to drinking.

I may not have met my goal - but I am not quitting.

Congrats! You could eat those sandwiches with no bread.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 09:26

BF:

A sandwich without bread is not a sandwich

and

a sandwich without bread is not an indulgence

For me, a BLT or a Big Mac is an indulgence
just as much as a salad

Last edited by Benay : Wed, Jun-24-20 at 10:29.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 11:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:

But we are like alcoholics, just called carbaholics....... and why introducing refined carbs causes binges. Just like alcoholics !!

You have done so well, give yourself a pat on the back !!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 15:10

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Whenever I stall I do a 12 hour fast per day. Between 7:30 PM and 7:30 AM I eat no food.

My DW suggested this, I didn't believe her thinking she was misinformed, but figured I'd try it expecting to say, "It didn't work for me". A week later I was saying, "Hey! This might be working.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 18:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Timelines for weight loss never ever worked for me. BUt by picking a Way of Eating I can live with and stick to was part of the key. If I stick with the program, do not deviate, keep moving, and drink my water, it comes off-- never as fast as I would like, but thats not the point. ANd with age and the closer you are to a healthy weight, the slower it is going to happen so instead of focusing on how short you are of goal, focus on the fabulous progress that you HAVE made. I think the decisions you made regarding the scale and obsessing over everything are wise. Who knows maybe if you stop stressing your body may even decide to loosen up the hold on those last couple pounds and if it doesnt well you have still done a good job of losing what you have!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 03:20

BF:

Thanks GZGirl
When I was in high school I weighed 150 and was told I should weigh 125 HA!
When I was in my 20's I got down to 145 and all my friends told me I was "too thin" some even said "gaunt" but that was on thyroid
I gained and gained and gained
Tried WW, Pritikin, ZONE, Drinking mans diet
Nothings was as successful until Protein Power and the discovery that carbs were not my friends
But slip and slide down the slippery slope of "just this once won't make any difference" but "just once" became more than once.
Not being a consistent person in any area of my life, I was not consistent at staying on lo-carb.
But I do have a glass ceiling that says "you are out of control."
The hardest person to control in the world is myself
This is what sabotages maintenance - it is boring with no success markers
I believe maintenance works best for consistent people and hardest for inconsistent people.
To my knowledge, no weight loss diet study has ever included the variable of consistency as a personality variable that may predict success or failure at dieting and maintenance.
Nevertheless, I plan to stick to carnivore as best i can for the foreseeable future.
Even knowing how bad grains are for me, they still call me.
Same with some sugars.
Knowing how hard it has been to lose this time around might (I hope) keep me from falling of the wagon.

Thanks for all your suport