Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 11:58

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Cholesterol, Triglycerides, MCHC & Diabetes

Now that I have my GB to near normal levels, I am wondering about this other stuff that "looked" crappy on most my recent labs, (from BEFORE i started my low carb diet).

From what I have been reading, just getting my blood sugar under control and doing a bit of exercising each day, should by it self help my other numbers:

MCHC 31.4, Triglycerides 330, HDL 38, LDL 91, Ratio 5.1

Nothing is clear to me about cholesterol, some doctors say ignore it completely. I'm confused. I think if I can stay on low carb AND improve these numbers it couldn't hurt. I don't plan on having my blood checked again for a couple more months so I want to know if there is anything else I should be doing, Here is what I'm planning at this point:

Eat more salmon - I love it - so might as well have it for at least 2 dinners a week.

Eat more avocados, I love guacamole so I'll eat more of that.

I got some flax meal and I'll try consuming at least 5 carbs worth a day.

Eat more salads with healthy green leaf veggies.

EDIT: Also taking a dose of ACV in the evening.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by TucsonBill : Mon, Aug-28-17 at 13:09.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 03:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The only thing you need to do...stay on a very low carb diet!
No refined carbs and sugar.

Commonly the result will be that your sky high triglycerides will come down quickly, that low HDL will start to climb slowly, and the LDL could go either way, but if it does go up, not to worry. There is an entire forum on Cholesterol here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Do not try to cut back on fat before before your next blood draw, new evidence is that LDL may be inverse to fat intake. Should also not take a blood test while you are actively losing weight, fat is being released from fat cells into blood, so the numbers may reflect that. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...nfuses-doctors/

A simple book to explain cholesterol is Cholesterol Clarity, but there are enough quotes from it in the forum, to get you started on what is important in the blood work. I would suggest that you get a coronary artery calcium score (CAC) which provides more reliable info about your heart than blood tests. A thread on that test in the forum.

As discussed in this thread http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=9092232 if using blood work, and you think it still has some value, you want low Trigs and high HDL, with a good ratio being under 2 (not the TC ratio,) Optimal numbers are 70 for both Trigs and HDL or a ratio of 1! Low Carb with good healthy fats can get you there from current 8.6. I personally don't think those foods have much to do with it other than the added fats. Salmon's tasty and a good source of omega-3 fat, but the key to improving your blood work is Not to eat sugar or starch.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-29-17 at 04:24.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 04:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Follow the guidelines in Janet's post, and you'll improve your numbers. I can emphatically state that you should not get another blood draw for a test until you're no longer in active weight loss mode or it will skew the results to the higher end of TC and LDL-C. As Janet recommends, when you do get your next test, don't cut back on dietary fat, eat the full fat diet that's normal for you. Also, make sure the test you order is an NMR Lipid Panel. The standard lipid tests don't provide the details and accuracy you need to get a good interpretation of how your diet and lifestyle are influencing your health. Other tests to consider are HbA1c, hsCRP (to check inflammation levels), and a CAC score (which is the most accurate test for heart artery health).

Many have had great success with maintaining a strict LCHF WOE and achieving excellent blood lipid numbers and heart health. I am just one of them. Enjoy the journey!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 09:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I would suggest that you get a coronary artery calcium score (CAC) which provides more reliable info about your heart than blood tests. A thread on that test in the forum.

Odd you should mention this, I signed up for this yesterday:

http://www.lifelinescreening.com/Wh...eening-Packages

I already signed up for the middle one, "Stroke, Vascular, Heart Rhythm with Osteoporosis" - I don't know if its the same as a CAC - they use ultrasound.

Will this be OK or should I cancel and schedule something else?

Bill
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 09:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
don't cut back on dietary fat, eat the full fat diet that's normal for you.

My diet has pretty much stayed the same as far as the fat goes, except for breakfast. Before I started this diet I was eating those "heart healthy" cereals for breakfast, and now I have eggs, usually in the form of a cheese omelet with a few veggies thrown in, sometimes with bacon. For lunch still have something like a sandwich - without the bread. For dinner, usually meat and veggies minus the usual huge helping of potatoes. I have been counting carbs and religiously staying under 20 carbs per day, (not NET carbs but TOTAL carbs - I have not bought into the "net carb" thing yet). I also completely cut out all the snack crap I used to eat - I don't do snacks at all any more, I just plan three squares minus the carbs and now I often skip lunch because i'm just not hungry for it.

All I drink now is water, sugar free black coffee, (once a day I have a heaping teaspoon of coconut oil whipped up in the coffee), black tea with lemon, a special herbal tea and maybe one sugar free Mtn. Dew per day to reward myself for doing my new regimen cardio exercises I'm going at this has hard as I can.

I'm still waiting for Dr. Bernstein's book to arrive so for now all I have done basically is remove most carbs from my diet. My idea was just to throw in a bit more so-called "healthy fat".

Bill

Last edited by TucsonBill : Tue, Aug-29-17 at 09:39.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 09:59
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

During my journey my annual checkup cholesterol numbers went from slightly high to borderline, then it got crazy high for some reason and finally landed back down to the best numbers I have ever had. I did some tweaks to try to get those numbers down. I ate more fish & olive oil. I ate loads more fiber. It seemed to have some effect. But the big change seemed to have more to do with becoming weight stable. Once I lost the weight and had labs taken while I was not actively losing weight the numbers ended up being terrific. My doctor was not pleased with those high numbers in 2015. She went so far as to prescribe a statin. I'm glad that I didn't take it. In the end, everyone was happy - no prescription required. My point here is to be aware that cholesterol can do crazy things. I don't think it is as well understood as a CVD "risk factor" as we have been led to believe. I'm glad that my numbers ended up where they did if for no other reason than it got my doctor off of my back about statins.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 10:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
In the end, everyone was happy - no prescription required. My point here is to be aware that cholesterol can do crazy things. I don't think it is as well understood as a CVD "risk factor" as we have been led to believe. I'm glad that my numbers ended up where they did if for no other reason than it got my doctor off of my back about statins.

WOW! What in inspiration you are! I have not read all the links to your success story, but I plan to. I just wanted to say "thank you" for taking the time to post and respond. You look great!

I am curious right now if you did anything special to keep your skin so tight. I'm looking kinda "droopy" right now and looking for ways to help my skin go back to something close to "normal". Could you share your thoughts on that?

Bill
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Odd you should mention this, I signed up for this yesterday:

http://www.lifelinescreening.com/Wh...eening-Packages

I already signed up for the middle one, "Stroke, Vascular, Heart Rhythm with Osteoporosis" - I don't know if its the same as a CAC - they use ultrasound.

Will this be OK or should I cancel and schedule something else?

Bill

The Carotid Artery Ultrasound may be better than a lipid panel but it is not a CT scan. Read this whole thread http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471526
Seven years ago, doctor recommended a similar lifeline screening, but that was because as a breast cancer survivor he did not want me exposed to additional radiation to my chest. That thread explains why the radiation is less with new machines, and less cost, and so I had a CAC done last year.

Life screening also test at the ankle, etc for stroke risk...I don't know how valid that is. Now suggest you shop around...compare the costs of both, but know the CAC will give a more direct view of your heart.
Also you can have your own blood work done, often less than at doctor with insurance, if you use the direct to consumer labs. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467301. Some have added partners with imaging.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 13:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The Carotid Artery Ultrasound may be better than a lipid panel but it is not a CT scan. Read this whole thread http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471526

OK, this is getting confusing again There used to be places in Tucson that offered cheal "HeartSaver CT Scans" - I guess it was a fad for a while and most have closed. The local Radiology LTD says they have one for $99 and another one that costs almost a thousand. I called around up in Phoenix and the person I talked to said that just for a basic scan of the heart for a calcium score is $89.

Does this sound right?

EDIT: OK, I think I figured it out - the cheap one is the one I need but I gota get a prescription for it *sigh* - other appointment cancelled.

Last edited by TucsonBill : Tue, Aug-29-17 at 13:41.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 13:48

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
I called around up in Phoenix and the person I talked to said that just for a basic scan of the heart for a calcium score is $89.

Does this sound right?

That's the one. The result will give you a Coronary Artery Calcium (CAC) score.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 02:41

If you haven't signed up for DietDoctor, you should to watch the WidowMaker documentary. DD offers a Free month trial, easy to end it if don't get value from all the extra content.

Your doctor should support you wanting to have the detailed information from a CAC, to add to the lipid panel. A call to the office to request the "prescription" order, which can be sent directly to the imaging center, should be all you have to do.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-30-17 at 02:54.