Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 07:18

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Dr. Rhonda Patrick ig post... parsley

I've been adding fresh organic parsley to my diet when I can. I tried making this egg sandwich with avocado, parsley, egg, tomato, and muffins made of almond flour and coconut flour. Parsley is high in a compound called apigenin. I first became interested in apigenin after reading animals studies that have shown it caused neural stem cells to differentiate into neurons and also strengthened the connections between neurons the latter of which is an important function for learning and memory.

Human studies have found that a diet supplemented with parsley does increase apigenin levels in plasma and red blood cells with a concomitant increase in activity in two powerful antioxidant enzymes including glutathione reductase and superoxide dismutase.

I've also been monitoring how various foods and other lifestyle factors affect my blood glucose levels with a continuous glucose monitor. This meal barely affected my postprandial glucose levels and it was delicious and satiating, which is a winner to me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 07:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Parsley and broccoli sprouts have been regulars in my salads. Good stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 07:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Parsley and broccoli sprouts have been regulars in my salads. Good stuff.
Rob, do you grow your own broccoli sprouts? If so, I'd like to try that but don't know where to start.

I saw this product mentioned in the Rhonda Patrick facebook group - but I know supplements are a mixed bag and getting nutrients directly from food is the way to go.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 08:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Prefer nutrients from food as well, but don't take the time to grow sprouts. I buy them and many grocery stores carry them now.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 09:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Prefer nutrients from food as well, but don't take the time to grow sprouts. I buy them and many grocery stores carry them now.
Thank you - I will ask on my next visits!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 09:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
[I]I've been adding fresh organic parsley to my diet when I can. I tried making this egg sandwich with avocado, parsley, egg, tomato, and muffins made of almond flour and coconut flour. Parsley is high in a compound called apigenin. I first became interested in apigenin after reading animals studies that have shown it caused neural stem cells to differentiate into neurons and also strengthened the connections between neurons the latter of which is an important function for learning and memory.

Human studies have found that a diet supplemented with parsley does increase apigenin levels in plasma and red blood cells with a concomitant increase in activity in two powerful antioxidant enzymes including glutathione reductase and superoxide dismutase.

/I]

Definitely need to add this to my son's diet !!

While checking the plants under the grow lites, noticed the ITalian Parsely is slow to sprout. WIll hunt down fresh seeds and try again. Love the Italian parsley over the curley type. A texture thing.

Sprouting is fairly easy, just takes diligence. And a wee bit of practice.

A clean jar, about a quart, like a canning jar. A cover that is meshed, like cheese clothe held on with a canning ring. ( I had my son drill dozens of holes in the plastic lid of a very large peanut butter jar, qt size.)

I prefer the cheese clothe method. Wash everything with hot soapy water between batches.

Method: Add 2Tablespoons seed to the jar and cover with cool water about an inch higher than the seeds. Let sit on counter for 24 hours. THen pour out, and cover with water again, put in drainer to " drip dry". repeat morning and night.

Sometimes batches dont work out and get contaminated, but rarely.

Mung beans I bought from the store have worked well.

You can also buy sprouting kits.

Kefir has been a breeze for you... this should be too.