Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 15:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/201/130 Female 5ft.2in.
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Not quitting!

I'm not quitting! You've convinced me and I'm not quitting. I lost 14 lbs. on induction and was ecstatic. Then the next two weeks - nada, I even gained a pound or two, even though I wasn't cheating at all. I also wasn't checking in at the forum. The last three days I've been off lo-carb, trying to watch my calories - but it doesn't work. I'm hungry all the time. Hunger I haven't felt for the last month.
Reading all these posts about plateaus and stalls and eventual breakthroughs have encouraged me. I have to be patient - and I don't have much choice. This diet is still easier to stay on that any other that I've tried. So, I'm going to start again. What I want to know is - after induction, how many carbs are you having. I know some of you say that you stay on about induction level or close to it all the time. Are any of you having 30 or 40 grams a day and still losing steadily - or do I have to be prepared to stay at about 20 grams a day?

Goldie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You don't quit a way-of-life...

This is what has been happening to me for the last year. Lose a chunk, bounce up and down between 10 pounds for a couple of months. Lose another chunk. Repeat.

I'm used to it now, so it doesn't bother me that much anymore because it's a way-of life. Weight loss is secondary to how great I feel. I look at how much I've gained with this WOL and never worry about what I've had to stop eating.

Atkins reccomends that you add 5 grams per day to find a level that you are still losing weight on and continue for a week. Then try another 5. I think 30 grams is about average for weight loss, but everyone is different. It's something you figure out as you go along.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 18:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Goldie
I find it much easier to stay at the 20 - 25 gram per day level. When I raise my carb intake much more than that the cravings return. I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do when I get near to my goal weight and have to start increasing my carbs! But for the time being, my current intake keeps my hunger under control and eliminates the cravings.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 20:15

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Good choice - the not quitting thing, I mean.

I never considered quitting, although I got discouraged plenty.

My motivation was, if I quit - what would I go *back* to????

The answer was *nothing* - even if I never lost another ounce, I couldn't imagine feeling any better than I did/do on low carb.

I gain on more than a steady 60 g a day. I can peak some days and eat 70 g, but then I have to 'monitor and manage'.

What I do is to stay at induction some days, and up them other days - so today I had a slice of low carb bread and low carb pancakes - tomorrow I'll probably do an induction type day and all my carbs will come from veggies. The reason I got away with it today was all the exercise I have done in the last 3 days.... 'monitor and manage' - it's a daily thing with me.