Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:20

Plan: A conservative mix
Stats: 229/220/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Cool Newly diagnosed

Hello everyone -

I was diagnosed with PCOS about a week ago, but have been feeling its effects strongly for the past ten years. I am turning 30 next month, and unlike many of my "cysters", I did not discover my PCOS when I tried to concieve - I had large fibroids that resulted in a hysterectomy 2 years ago, but since then I have been unable to lose the 80 extra pounds in spite of heavy exercise and "healthy" eating. I have started doing a modified low-carb diet, basically no sugar and as little bread as possible (not a huge fan). I am also on a low dose of metformin, which has been like a miracle for me - after a few days of tummy trouble and a bit of a lingering headache, I am feeling so good. Energy is great, and I've lost SEVEN pounds - this after not seeing the scale budge for ANYTHING. Very encouraging. My mom has been doing Atkins for awhile now and has lost about 15 pounds or so, so we are both interested in learning more about this WOE and how it can help PCOS.

Looking forward to getting to know many of you, and to offer any encouragement when I can!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 02:40

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

HI Rebecca

welcome!

I have PCOS too and have been doing the Schwarzbein Principle for about 3 months and have lost 10 lbs so far. I feel much better, lots more energy. I am so glad I have chaged my diet as this works for many PCOS women.

I am part of a PCOS support group here in Ireland and lots of the group are trying low carb/low glycaemic index diets with much success.

talk to you soon
Clodagh

ps I went to BC on my holidays last year and was blown away by it! It's so beautiful!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 19:08

Plan: trying low carb, hi fat /
Stats: 220/180/165 Female 5'11" / 71 inches / 178cm
BF:not tracking
Progress: 73%
Default new to PCOS as of June 7th, lost only 2.5 lbs so far on Metformin.

Hi there, I am also form BC (Victoria).
Thought I'd tell you a bit about myself.
My Hubby Peter (very trim) & I have two cats that also need a lo-carb regimin (LOL). I have always wanted children but just kept putting it off, waiting for the right time, even tho P & I have been a couple for 11 yrs. Bad planning, cosmically. There still may be a chance, but I don't get hopeful. On the other side of the coin, I had heart surgery when I was 3, and have hypertension, lactose intolerance, irritable bowel (maybe, we're testing that theory) syndrome, and a recently confirmed PCOS with insulin probs, and some mild extremely hirsutism. I weighed myself to day at 207.5 (lost 2.5 lbs [of water?] in 2 weeks), and have a target of 170 for my 5'11" frame. No lower than 160, tho, to stay in fertile-fat range. I am just now educating myself on what is waht, so I am a total newbie at this, hence all the forums, etc. Feel free to email me anytime, and in emergencies, I can call you on my BCTel no limits plan, if you're majorly needing a human ear. My hubby doesnt quite understand how emotionally impactive this is. I get quite paranoid that he'll leave me, like I'm damaged goods, but I talk a lot with him, and we are best friends & have gone thru SOOO much together, ya know? ANyhoo, there's my life in a nutshell.
Check out my profile, and my email should be there(?). Keep smilin!
Kara in Victoria
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default to poigle

you sound just like me!! i was wondering about the meds. i couldnt remember how to spell it, to look it up on the Net. i go on tuesday, and the doc, wants to put me on this. she also wants to put me on the pill, but i just cant take it. it cause me awful migraines, and stomach trouble, so i am going to tell her , one new pill at a time. she already told me that the Meta....(spell?), might be enough to help me ovulate and lose weight!! so, thats all i needed to know. i would love to live chat with you, if you belong to any of the instant messengers? my name on AOL is Paigangel. hope to see ya soon.
paige17257
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 16:43

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi, All. I have also been recently diagnosed with PCOS, although I knew I had it for a long time. I'm going with the all-natural approach. I follow TSP (The Schwarzbein Principle) for my eating program and my GYN who diagnosed me put me on Yasmin BC Pills. This is a high-progesterone pill instead of the opposite high-estrogen pill most women are put on. It has done wonders. And I have read that many women with PCOS who are put on this pill do much better. It has helped with cramps, flow, and facial hair. Many other women have tried progesterone cream and found it to help tremendously. I haven't tried that yet. One thing at a time.

However, the main reason I started low-carbing was that I had read that eating more protein would help with PCOS. Before I started TSP, I was getting very sick because I had gone from 1 period every 2 or 3 years to one that wouldn't stop for a year. I was scared.

I started TSP and the pill at about the same time, so I don't know which one has helped me the most. Although, the first pill I was put on (by my internist) was an estrogen-based pill and it caused heavier bleeding and cramps. Within 3 days of being switched to Yasmin all that stopped. I still have break-through bleeding the first week of the hormone portion of the pill, but it is all much milder and the cramps are almost non-existent by comparison.

When I told my GYN about my low-carbing and the weight I had lost in a follow-up appointment, she suggested that I could go off the pill if I wanted to because "most women's periods will self-regulate when they lose weight." That hasn't been true in the past for me. But based on what I read about low-carbing and PCOS, I am inclined to think that it will work for me this time (my past experiences were all with low-fat dieting).

So, when this current course of pills are completed, I'm going off the pill for a few months, at least, to see how I do. The main reason is that I think the pill is slowing down my weight loss. I would like to get below 200 one of these days, but 1 to 2 pounds a month is just a bit too slow .

So, Poigle, welcome to the forum and I would like to make one suggeston: Read The Schwarzbein Principle. This book puts forth more of a holistic approach to low-carbing. Many of us have found it very beneficial. It's a healing program with much less focus on weight loss, but that's why I like it.

Good luck on your endeavours.
;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 02:44

you lost more weight than me! I should try that TSP diet! Seriously tho, I give us ALL credit for trying so hard with such an uphill battle (one hill at a time for me). I have had a good day when I can take both metformins, eat 3 reasonable-to-regimine meals, and sleep about 7-9 hrs no more, no less. today i'm 2-3, gotta get to that bed, I have a 9:30 appt!

PS watched I AM SAM tonight & my eyes are swollen like frogs, i cried sooo hard: makes me pine for a baby. didnt help I visited a newborn tonight either. anyhoo, if it's in the cards, eh? also, this way my cats a re happy in the interim b/c i spoil them instead!

ps metformin aka glucophage (same med as type II diabetes: insulin effective)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 21:44

Plan: A conservative mix
Stats: 229/220/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile thanks ladies!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome - I've been horribly busy at work and haven't had much chance to catch up on my reading, but the long weekend is here and things are still going well. I'm down another six pounds, and my body is starting to look a little different to me. I haven't been able to get back to the gym (crazy work hours) but am planning to this coming month. I've been keeping up with walking the dogs, etc. My met dosage is up to 1000 mg a day now, and I've been having some nasty stomach cramps and diarrhea too I haven't been as strict with the carbs (stress!) so I'm back on the wagon this weekend. It's been interesting trying to have nice dinners without the starch - my husband and I are both German, and life without potatoes and rice is a little weird!

Take care and good luck to everyone!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 07:22
Registered Member

Talking i understand!!

hi,
boy, do i understand the potatoe thing!! i am part Irish, and i kept telling them that i HAVE to have potatoes!! LOL....
i never realized how many we ate! sugarbusters, will tell you that a sweet potatoe is a better alternative, but i am trying to stay clear of them altogether, for now!
i have considered getting a puppy, to help me with my walking.
i like to walk alone, but worry about "strange" people driving by.
where i walk is kinda in the "boonies".
keep plugging away. WE can do this!!
take care.
paige17257
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 250/236/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi All !
I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 months ago. My husband and I have been trying to concieve for the past yr now and no luck, plus I could not understand this weight gain and trouble taking it off. I went to 3 Drs till I finally was diagnosed properly. The first 2 Drs associated the weight gain and fertility problem with stress and depression. The one put me on Zoloft. Told me that this will also help with my weight gain.... WRONG!!!!!! I balloned up 25lbs within a month! I took myself off this wonder pill he prescribed and sought another consult. The Dr I last seen diagnosed me with PCOS after several testing. I have been on Glucophage xr since then and I am feeling so much better! I have lost 3 lbs so far on the medicine, and menstrual cycles are beging to be norm again! I have started the Atkins diet as well last week, and surprizingly just after these few days of LCing, I feel like I have more energy. I used to beat myself up before I was diagnosed, not knowing what was wrong with me, not being able to concieve anymore. I have children, so I knew it was not impossible, just did not know why it was not happening this time. I would sit in the house all the time, if I went outside or left the house twice in a month it was a miracle, and crying.. well, surprized my house was not flooded! I am doing so much better these days, now that I am being treated. Still no luck with the conception, but I look at it this way now. I know now why, and if it is Gods will for me to have another child it will happen.
Monique
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 14:30

Default confession

i went to see "Minority Report" last night (Tom Cruise was awesome), and I ate popcorn and diet coke (2 baddies for me, (a) b/c popcorn is bad for carbs & IBS, and b'c I ate half of a large bag...), and (b) because the diet coke still had the caffeine, and I was up unti 2:30am...slept until 11:30. I need so much more sleep when I am bad on the carbs or caff. I should learn!

In reading about your flooded house, I felt like there was someone else out there like me. I cry usually at convenient times (at a movie, where it's acceptable b/c of plot) or when I'm home alone, or when my hub's asleep. It is just too much for him to take, i think. He's not a big "talker".

We ran into my college ex-beau (the one b4 my hubby), and he was with his little boy (one of 2).
We chit-chatted, and they asked about kids, and I felt like such a total freak of nature, looked at hubby to answer, then cut him off when he said "none just yet", and said, "I've just found out they may or may not be possible" and went on to say that as a primary teacher-wannabe (the ex is an unemplyd teacher too) at least one day i would have 21 everyday from 9-3! ...I thot that was soooo witty but hubby said it came off as kind of sad & weird, and he meant that in a nice way.

feeling blue, going to the gym to walk & swm it off....Kara
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 250/236/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

Kara,
Cheer up. I know that is easily said and done. I know all too well how you are feeling. My hubby is very loving and caring and supportive, but.... there are times that he just does not understand why I am so blue, crying the tears I do and miserable. Every month is a roller coaster for me. Waiting and calculating for the big dissappointment. What makes it worse for me is other stress factors I have to deal with. Him and I do not have children together. I do have children from my first marriage. We have been trying and no go. He also has a child from a prior relationship and what makes it hard is that his ex is stressing us from wanting money every other day and not allowing us to have contact with the little girl if we do not comply, and when I talk about extra money this money in addition to the child support that is waged attatched every month. She also has this thing about rubbing it in my face that she has a child from him and I don't and can't. You have to understand there is a 12 yr difference in age between my husband and I and well this girl is young, so hmmmm that bugs me too. Somedays I feel like crawling in a hole and never comming out. I can sit here and cry for no reason at all, or after I get off the scale and see no change in weight.
Since I have been LCing I am feeling better about myself. I have found more will power and strength within myself. You are not in the boat alone. When I get to feeling that way I come online and read the post, keep myself busy, or exercise.
Hope you feel better. If you ever need a should to lean on I am here.
Monique
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 18:36

Talking I feel better! Thanks Monique! (plus the whoosh fairy came...!)

I DID goto the Y and swim, and even went when my hubby didnt want to go (went alone= extra points for me) and the karmic bonus was going on the scale down to 204! YAY! that's 2lbs a week for 3 weeks straight! Ok, now, I realize that you said that you weren't losing, so I wanna recommend that you DON't think about that as a primary objective: instead think about conception as the PO, and the weight as a happy bonus (when it does lower, it's like a bonus!). That's the way i see things, and it fells pretty good to have 2 lbs less a week as a SIDE EFFECT of trying to have a baby! I do goto the Y when I can, and the minimum is 2x, max every other day. Sept I will go to 5 days a week, and a yoga class on top of that. I am still trying to find a local gym buddy with similar schedules for sept that has a low carb or pcos situation. I just bought some books and supplements too. OK, so now that I am feeling better I again wanna thank you for your supportive letter & let u kno that I added you to my buddy list
*HUGZ & GOOD SPIRITS*
Kara
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 19:23

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

I TOO am from Coquitlam!!! Small world. I was just sent to a ob/gyn for PCOS and was prescribed the Diane 35 pill. I have been low carbing for a month and this was the first month that my cycle was regular so I'm holding off on the pill til next month to see if it happens on time again. I don't want to take it unless i have to. I've learnt that low carbing can help PCOS symptoms dramatically. There is a great website for PCOS ~ www.soulcysters.com. Lots of great info there. Anyways, hi and good luck with the diet

Danyele
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:04
Registered Member

Thumbs up good idea!!

hi!!
that news is so encouraging!! i have PCOS. the doc wants me to go on the pill too, but i dont want to. Honestly, i think thats where alot of my problems started. i dont think that you can put your ovaries "to rest", for an extended period of time, and then expect them to work right. anyways, dont get me started on that!! hehehe. i was semi regular until i got on them ,and then when i got off of them, nothing happened! i am hoping like you, that the LCing, will regulate me. the doc is going to give me a small dose of Glucophage since my insulin is alittle high (sugar is normal, so far). so, i have read that this will help the cycles by lowering my insulin. but i hope some day, to be so good at this LCing, that i can go off all meds. we will see!!
good luck!! hope it all keeps working for ya!!!!
paige17257
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:31

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

I know how you feel to be reluctant to take medication for PCOS. I am reluctant to take a lot of prescription medication. I think some are absolutely necessary but some do more harm than good.
I haven't had my insulin levels checked but my fasting glucose was great. My ob/gyn didn't seem to think my insulin needed to be tested.
Anyways, just wanted to say good luck and let me know if LCing helps. I will let you know if it does the same next month.

Danyele