Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 08:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default In the UK, Statin pushers being called out.

Doctors tell NICE you’re not independent & you’re not evidence based

Zoe Harcombe posting.

Snippet:
Quote:
Last week something quite extraordinary happened in the UK medical world. The National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) describes itself as follows: “We provide independent, authoritative and evidence-based guidance on the most effective ways to prevent, diagnose and treat disease and ill health, reducing inequalities and variation.”
Overnight on June 10th 2014, an open letter was sent to NICE and the Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, and a press release was issued by a group of doctors and academics. The letter essentially said to NICE – you are not independent and you are not evidence based and we call on you to withdraw the latest guidelines on statins until the drug company funded ‘researchers’ conducting trials and withholding vital data are forced to share that data.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 04:50

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

I really can't wait to be part of the marvellous machine of following guidelines…………………NOT.

I read both parts of that when they came out, its a disgrace to what NICE is supposed to be, and shear madness as far as numbers needed to treat.

Before starting medicine I was part of the big pharma machine, so I un / fortunately have a unique perspective on how it is run and what there goals are.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 19:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Wow — first the Time cover and now this! Can it be that medical research will become funded by neutral parties?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-14, 00:19

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Wow — first the Time cover and now this! Can it be that medical research will become funded by neutral parties?

There isn't the money.

That is the problem. No one wants to fund clinical trials.

My personal feeling is that there needs to be more medical personnel involved in the trials but without a financial interest.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-14, 03:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jaywood,

Now the GPs are calling for NICE to be free of conflict:

Quote:
Now, very recently, the Annual Representative Meeting (ARM) of the British Medical Association debated the NICE guidelines. The motion put to the meeting was,as follows:

‘This meeting believes that in any advisory committee of NICE, when guidance on any drug is issued it must be made clear that none of the members must have a financial interest in pharmaceutical companies which manufacture the drugs’.

Complete long article here:

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2014/0...backlash-begins
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-14, 09:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Yay! We need the boards of the AHA and ADA and other big "disease related" organizations to do the same.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 04:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ben Goldacre has posted his response to the BMJ editorial.

The statins wars rage on in the UK. He offers a sensible option to resolve them.
http://www.badscience.net/2014/06/w...based-medicine/

Btw, the Star Wars disco has nothing to do with the article, his idea of a mind focus technique that completely distracted me
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 09:55

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

From Ben Goldacre's article:

Quote:
On the one hand, we have clinicians and researchers insisting that no sane patient would refuse a safe simple treatment that reduces their chances of a heart attack by one in 200; on the other, we have clinicians and researchers insisting that one in 200 is a laughable and trivial benefit, which no sensible patient could ever care about.

My husband was not told this at all. It was "take this pill and it will prevent a heart attack." It was a miracle pill. It's true my husband did not have a heart attack in the 18 years or so he took it, but was it the pill? Or just that he would not have had a heart attack anyway? Now he's off it & we'll see what happens. At his age (79) I don't think a lack of a statin or even a good LCHF diet is going to have much affect on him.