Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 07:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Griddle Muffins

If, like me, you long for that crispy texture so hard to get from the microwave mug recipes.

This might be baked, though I haven't tried it yet: stovetop prep is suitable in any weather, and I find it quicker.

This is based on the board founder's cinnamon toast recipe. Here's your basic ingredients, in order:
  • Half package of 5 oz. size pork rinds, coarsely crushed (I use a sturdy mug) or blendered, which makes for a finer texture and more subtle flavor
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sour cream

Then I add 1 cup of berries, because they are low sugar and low prep. Besides being my favorite fruit.

But the sky is the limit for muffin additions, isn't it? Lily's chocolate chips (with stevia). Any chopped fruit which agrees with you; for instance, chopping up raisins spreads the flavor without needing lots of them. The flat surface makes it easy to sprinkle on spices. Put it on the uncooked batter side when you first put the batter on the griddle or pan.

Savory? Certainly. I don't use any sweetener in the base recipe because the fruit is enough for me. Bacon bits or finely chopped ham works well. Sliced deli ham is good for that.

Shredded cheese! I add sharp shredded cheddar and Old Bay seasoning for a cheddar biscuit kind of experience.

I let the griddle get hot on medium heat with lots of butter. I'm not neat sometimes, I just plop it all on and cut it into portions as it browns up. Grill the batter like pancakes. When the bottom is brown, flip. Easy to see when it's done.

I eat them as-is since they are already browned in butter.

They keep well in a sealed bag or container. They microwave with minimal loss of crust action. Use low power. Haven't tried freezing but I don't see why not.

You could bake them, I guess? Haven't tried it because grilling does the crispy crust part so well.

Dairy an issue? The original recipe uses heavy cream, but I prefer sour cream. However, I'd give mayo a try, or coconut cream, or any of the other subs, since it's not a large amount and does not contribute to any rising. The crushed pork rinds are the structure.

These are SO tasty and satiating. This recipe makes enough for two big breakfasts for me. Fantastic with coffee or tea.

Base recipe breaks out this way, TOTAL:

Calories 329
Fat 24.6 g
Protein 22 g
Carbs 2 g

Which is very keto friendly Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 13:23

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Looks good! Maybe I'll have to invest in pork rinds again But this makes TWO breakfasts for you? I can't envision a mere 165 calories or so to be a "big" breakfast!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 09:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Looks good! Maybe I'll have to invest in pork rinds again But this makes TWO breakfasts for you? I can't envision a mere 165 calories or so to be a "big" breakfast!

Now that we have the Ninja blender (I like it!) I've been crushing my rinds in it. This turns into the whole 5 ounce bag + 4 eggs + 1/2 cup sour cream. (I love my sour cream. It's so hard to get full fat yogurt I've basically switched to sour cream for dressing, baking, and meat sauce

So I made six patties with this recipe, and I eat them 2 at a time. So the breakdown now would be, by serving:

Calories 658 - serving 220
Fat 50 g - serving 16.5
Protein 44 g - serving 15
Carbs 4 g - serving 1.3

I like crushing them finer. Easier than smacking it with a cup and spraying crumbs. More of a "muffin" taste. Use up the whole bag at once so it stays fresh when made.

I also share bits with my cat Tristan. Minus the fruit!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 09:31

BF:

I have a Ninja too. That’s definitely what I would use if I had pork rinds to grind. Maybe I’ll add some to my Walmart order I’m picking up on Sunday. I have until tomorrow to modify my order. I saw when I placed my initial order that they had Daisy sour cream, the only brand I buy. Nearly ordered some. But they say that if the item you want is not available they’ll sub something else, and I always worry they’ll sub in something crappy.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 09:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
But they say that if the item you want is not available they’ll sub something else, and I always worry they’ll sub in something crappy.

They don't let you say "this or nothing?"

I'm not familiar with pandemic delivery. I used the Instacart this winter and it went very well. But I haven't tried it during the lockdown. The delivery windows were so far away. I also wish to leave those slots for people less able to go out than myself.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 13:50

BF:

They may have a “this or nothing” option. I just haven’t been able to find it yet. In fact when I placed my order there was a check box to say if substitutes were allowed and I deliberately didn’t press it. But when I got my confirmation email all the items in the list showed “substitutions allowed” and I haven’t been able to see a way to change it! I figure I’ll just see what happens with this first order as nothing terribly critical there.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 13:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Can I ask what brand of pork rinds you use, Werebear? I wouldn't mind looking up their ingredients, whatever it is.

Here in Canada, I have two options: 1) Baconets, made by Frito-Lay, ingredients are just pork rinds, lard, salt. They taste very bacon-y and I'm not sure they'd be good for this. The other brand is La Visita - ingredients are "fried pork rinds." Nicer flavour, way less bacon-y and I suspect they're fried in a crappier oil... but I'm not sure. I would have thought they'd have to declare the oil on the label.

(ETA) Forgot about the third option, Lapid's Choice, but they only come in vinegar or garlic flavour. They'd be great for savoury ones. They actually taste too good because there's MSG in them.

I'd like to try these in the waffle maker.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 14:29

BF:

These are Clancy's Original Fried Pork Rinds. I think it's Aldis house brand.

Ingredients: fried pork skins, salt.

I don't have anything to compare them to since these are my ONLY CHOICE.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, May-01-20 at 14:40. Reason: Adding
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 15:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Oooh, interesting idea. I might have to try that too. I did add pork rinds to my Walmart order for Sunday. I didn't pay attention to the ingredients as there was only one brand they had on offer. It came in multiple flavors but I just picked the Plain Original as I figured that was likely to have the least objectionable ingredients. I guess I'll see when I pick it up. I'm having to be less picky about things these days.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-02-20, 04:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

I understand magic can be made with waffle makers! However, I have not explored this since I have no counter OR cupboard space. And my Ninja is my food processor.

However, I started out with the savory experiments as a kind of hamburger bun, and I should try that sometime.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-02-20, 12:08

BF:

I have the teeny tiny adorable Dash mini waffler maker for chaffles. If I try this recipe after picking up my Walmart order tomorrow I may cook some on the griddle and some in the waffle maker, and see how they compare.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 15:49

BF:

Ok, I got my pork rinds from Walmart today, a house brand I think. Ingredients were also just: fried pork skins, salt. No mention of a frying oil. Maybe they are air fried? Anyway I made this recipe today. Haha they totally filled my Ninja but after giving them a whir or two there was just a little dust at the bottom of the container!

Anyway these got cooked on the griddle, not the waffle maker. They were really quite tasty though not crispy or crunchy. More like a pancake texture. But I had them as a savory for my dinner, along with shrimp sautéed in butter and garlic powder. I have to say I enjoyed my dinner. 🍤 🥞
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 07:13

BF:

I just toasted leftovers in the toaster. They wind up kinda flatbread so it's doable.

Better than the microwave. Need careful watching, and they are still fragile. Tongs might be in order. I softened some cream cheese to spread on top, and they are HEAVENLY.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 14:07

BF:

Okay, since I've got the bag of pork rinds I made these again today. This time I cooked them in my mini waffle makers and they came out great! Like a nice chaffle but even lower carb. This time I had them sweet. I nuked some of my frozen blueberries which I sprinkled over the top, and then whipped up a little heavy cream with some liquid vanilla stevia added. It was totally fantastic! Great recipe. I'll have to get more pork rinds whenever I place another grocery order at Walmart. Again, not at all crispy, but certainly tasty. Not sure what would happened if I tried toasting them after cooking them.. It was totally fantastic! Great recipe. I'll have to get more pork rinds whenever I place another grocery order at Walmart.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-20, 18:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Okay, after buying pork rinds repeatedly (and eating them) and buying blueberries (and eating them) I finally got around to making these. They were awesome.

I tried three variations: plain, shredded cheddar added, and blueberry. I did the first two on both the fry pan and the waffle maker. I did the blueberry ones last in the fry pan after giving it a rinse and adding some plain clarified butter.

I liked the plain the best. The cheddar made them a bit too salty, and a total mess to try to cook. There was lots of water leaking out and they were falling apart, both in the fry pan and the waffle maker. The blueberry ones were nice, but next time, I'll add some Splenda and maybe cinnamon to distract from the salty-porky-ness.

Definitely a keeper.