Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 09:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/135/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 29%
Unhappy Not Losing it!

HELP! My roommate and I started Atkins 15 days ago, we've been eating salads and meats, taking vitamins and DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT!! But neither of us have lost any weight! When are we going to start dropping the pounds?!

~*~feeling discouraged and ready to quit~*~ !!

We're open to any suggestions you have to offer, this atkins thing is hard when you're in college...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 09:42
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

its hard to say, hope your getting alot of water in and not depriving yourself of meals. Try to get at least 5 meals a day. Are your clothes feeling looser? perhaps your losing inches vs. pounds.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 17:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 5'0
BF:

drink lots of water and excersise . but as Dewi said maybe u are losing inchs not pounds . I know that is how my body works .good luck
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 07:37

BF:
Talking Thanks for your help!

Thanks girls! I think the problem is that we were snacking too much, today we're just going to start to retry induction. Any suggestions for what to do when you're doing induction at the dorms with gross food courts?!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 14:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 5'0
BF:

i have not done introduction in over a year but maybe thry have a chicken breast sandwhich and you could take off the bun .
there are many places where i get food and then make it compatiable to what i can eat. or you could go to the store and by something there to keep in the room .money is usually tight , but there is probuly something that is cheep that would be good for introduction. just a thought
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 11:59
Registered Member

Stats: 123/122/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Exercise is the key to weight loss on any plan, not just low-fat plans!! But if you exercise eat some light carbs right before, it will help you workout longer and you'll burn the carbs right up, so it won't end up in glycogen storage. In the end you'll have more success losing weight through exercise if you eat maybe a bowl of oatmeal or a couple slices of whole wheat bread. Just multiply the carb grams by 4 and make sure you are doing enough exercise to burn off that many calories. Anyway make sure you are counting your calories anyway. Try to eat less than you need, even though you don't need to deprive yourself as much as on a low fat plan in order to lose the same amount of weight, you can't eat 2,500 cals a day low carb as a typical female and still lose weight (unless you run a lot or are very active).
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 12:05
Registered Member

Stats: 123/122/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

also, i am in college too, and they always have all these tasty pizzas and sandwiches, etc out for the grabbing, its even worse for me though because i go to one of those "all inclusive schools" where you can eat as much as you want anytime at the dining hall!! so just be thankful you have a food court where you pay by food points because its much easier to keep track that way!! here its like being on a cruise all the time, and you know how cruises are famous for weight gain. i'm just amazed how skinny everyone here is!! Anyway, there are always ways to alter the foods you order. You can take bread off sandwiches, ask them to leave off the ketchup, etc. I guess it would just be easier for all of us if the rest of the world were eating low carb too or there was a sudden tremendous shortage in wheat and sugar. Wow, things would be easier!! but it just takes resolution, before you get there, decide "this is what i will order and this is what i will do to it to make it low-carb" that way you don't end up giving in to temptation the minute you see something. be deliberate
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 15:55
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

There is a big difference between the carbs you think you are eating and the carbs you are actually eating. Keep a food journal. This is the only way that I can keep track of the carbs than I REALLY eat. You would be surprised, you can't just count them in your head like you think. Plus, if you have a food journal, you can see what works and what doesn't, and look back and see where you are going wrong/right.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 03:25

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaih20
you can't eat 2,500 cals a day low carb as a typical female and still lose weight

whew i have to disagree with that. I dont think ive known of a women who could eat that many cals and still lose weight. Most of the posts ive seen, they eat around 1500. Hell im a 23yo male, and i had to eat less than 2000 to lose. I cant eat more than 1700 on maintainence or ill gain. But thats just me.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 10:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Martz,
I noticed you go to I.U. and so do I so I know exactly what gross dorm food courts you are talking about. Foster, Wright, Collins... not exactly bon appetit! When I eat lunch on campus I either go to the salad bar at the Kiva Cafe in the union or bring an lc tortilla in my bag, order a sandwich somewhere, dump the middle into my tortilla and roll it up. Ive got lots of other little tips for lc eating in bloomington if ur interested! just let me know
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 08:10

BF:

That's awesome that you go to IU too, my roommate and I have just started induction all over again after our discouraging try before xmas break. Since we're freshman, it's nice to try to use our mealpoints as much as possible. So far induction has been going pretty well, we're halfway through week two. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! thanks! also, I just discovered the kiva cafe in the union.. amazing!! hope to talk to you later!