Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 18:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/213/165
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default The Shakes and dizziness

Hi Everyone

This is my 13th day of Atkins Induction, and I was feeling really good on week 1, but for some reason, I am now having the shakes and feeling dizzy. I have read some of the others story's but it seems like everyone has this problem in the 1st week, not the second. Is it possible that I'm having withdrawal? I have a habit of worrying, so some one please give some advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 10:43

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Well

Hope that your doctor is a low-carb friendly one. Might check with him about your medication. I took Glucaphage (off it now) and never had any issues, but I understand from what my doctor told me that some of the others can cause low blood sugar or insulin reactions easily. Glucaphage doesn't make more insulin, so is less likely to have problems. Are you checking your blood sugars? That would be a indicator above all.

Also, make sure that you are eating your 20 carbs per day and not skipping them. Drinking all your water will help too. Looks like you have dropped a good bit of weight in the first couple of weeks, congrats.

If everything is straight with the blood sugar, just hang on, it will pass.

Good luck,
wsgts
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 22:28

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Ganation65

Welcome to the group. Usually dizziness and shakiness are related to carb withdrawal in the first week.

First, what kind of meds do you use?
Second, how often do you check your blood glucose? In the first month you should be checking 3 or 4 times a day: your meds may need adjusting & it is simply a good idea to closely watch BG (blood glucose) when you reduce your carbs so drastically.

I'm wondering if you need supplements. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? This WOL requires supplementation. Extra calcium, magnesium & potassium are also essential, especially if you are drinking lots of water.

Water is needed to flush the excess ketones out of your body, but it also carries away potassium & other nutrients. You can easily add potassium to your diet in the form of potassium chloride. Buy either No-Salt or Half-Salt (near salt & spices in the grocery store) and use just like salt in cooking or sprinkle on at at the table.

HTH, Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:35

BF:

MY CURRENT MEDS ARE (ZOLOFT,ATIVAN)AND I HAVE BEEN TAKING DR. ATKINS. (BASIC #3,DIETERS ADVANTAGE, AND ESSENTIAL OILS), I AM NOT A DIABETIC, SHOULD I STILL CHECK MY BLOOD SUGAR?
I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU ANSWERING ME.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 13:23

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default No on the diabetic

Your post made it under the diabetic/insuling forum, so we assumed you were diabetic. Unless you are on diabetic meds, I wouldn't worry about blood sugar.

One other thing I thought about though, was caffeine? You drinking a bunch?

Later,
wsgts
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 15:57

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Oopsie

wsgts is correct, we made the assumption that you are diabetic because this thread is in the diabetes forum. Count yourself lucky that you're not diabetic. The caffeine question was a good one. Have you recently changed your coffee consumption? This can *adversely* affect you, withdrawal, etc.

I'm glad to hear you are taking a multi-vitamin and essential oils, however you will need more cal/mag and potassium than the mulit-vit provides. Using No-salt is very cheap and is worth a try to see if you feel better with more potassium. I don't really mean to nag but it really does help most people. If more potassium doesn't help, go to your doctor, the cause could be something else altogether.

I hope you stick with LC, it really is a good, healthy way to eat.

Ruth
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 18:04

BF:

Sorry I posted in the wrong area, I'm new to this and wasn't for sure exactly what I was doing. I haven't had any caffeine in a year. But I will try to add some more mag/K+. I do wonder if maybe it isn't the multi-vit. Years ago when I tried taking them, they made dizzy, but never shaky, But I'm not giving up, I really need to lose this weight. Thank you all so much for your help. It's nice having others to talk to about this.