Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-23-18, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/172/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress:
Default LC snacks to bring Overseas?

Hello!

I will be traveling abroad and was wondering what LC snacks I could bring along? I can't bring and meat, dairy, produce (because of customs) which is what most of my snacks are. I don't really care much for the Atkins snacks. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-23-18, 13:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

How are you traveling? If by plane you could certainly bring some of your usual snacks with you to eat on the journey; just make sure you either finish them all before going through customs, or trash them on the plane. I got "caught" by the agricultural beagles at SFO the last time I flew back from an international trip. The dog sniffed out the empty plastic bag that had contained jerky. I explained that to the dog handler, and all was good.
If traveling by car, or other land vehicle, I would take snacks to tide you over to the border, and, again, eat them all or trash the leftovers. And then get more on the other side.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-23-18, 13:16

BF:
Progress:

I will be flying in (hence customs) and would need something that I can snack on during my trip. All my usual snacks would be confiscated
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-23-18, 13:59

BF:

So you are asking about snacks for the entire trip, and not just for the flight? If possible, your best bet is to buy them once you get to your destination. Also, another thought I had was that, depending on where you are going, the rules may not be as strict as you believe them to be. Some countries are very strict about what can be brought in, others not so much. If you haven't already checked that out you should. For instance, the only places I remember there being potential problems for me was Australia (no food whatsoever), and flying back home through California (no agricultural products or meat products). I don't remember even being asked when flying to Europe or Japan, though my memory may be playing tricks on me.
This site (low carber forums) has members from many countries. If you are willing to say where it is your trip will take you I am sure that you will get helpful responses from people living there; if nothing else you might learn of the best places to refill your snack bag once you get through customs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 09:38

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
So you are asking about snacks for the entire trip, and not just for the flight? If possible, your best bet is to buy them once you get to your destination. Also, another thought I had was that, depending on where you are going, the rules may not be as strict as you believe them to be. Some countries are very strict about what can be brought in, others not so much. If you haven't already checked that out you should. For instance, the only places I remember there being potential problems for me was Australia (no food whatsoever), and flying back home through California (no agricultural products or meat products). I don't remember even being asked when flying to Europe or Japan, though my memory may be playing tricks on me.
This site (low carber forums) has members from many countries. If you are willing to say where it is your trip will take you I am sure that you will get helpful responses from people living there; if nothing else you might learn of the best places to refill your snack bag once you get through customs.

Thanks! Actually, I'm flying out of California too and will be flying into France, and from there taking trains to the surrounding countries. I was thinking of bringing jerky, but am not sure if that's considered since it's already processed. I'm just being cautious since I saw on the news maybe about a month ago where a woman got off a plane in France and was fined for food she had gotten ON the plane (food from the flight attendant).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 10:13

BF:

That sounds like a lovely trip. We have done similar trips in the past, but usually fly into Germany, as that is where my husband's relatives live. It has been awhile since our last trip, and I don't remember any restrictions, though there might have been some. It is a long flight from CA or, in our case, OR, so most likely whatever I took with me was eaten before arrival. That would still be my best advice to you; take what you need for the flight, and either put any leftovers in the trash on the plane when you arrive, or take your chances with Customs. Be honest, tell them what you have, and they might let you keep it. Europe is a wonderful place to stock up on snack type foods - forget the bakeries, and head for the butcher (sausage, cold cuts) and cheese shop!
That sounds very strange about the woman being fined. I wonder if that wasn't either a misunderstanding or a misreporting. The worst that should have happened, IMO and in my experience, is confiscation.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 10:23

BF:

Also, I don't know if you have traveled in Europe before, but once you are on the ground in France your train travel to other EU countries will not entail going through customs again. If you travel outside of the EU there will be border controls.
If your travel is being arranged through a travel agent ask there what the regulations are. Otherwise look up "customs regulations for France" or something along those lines to find out specifics.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 10:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

In France we always buy salamis, ham and cheeses. In Paris there are some very nice large grocery stores.
Bring a nice size foldable bag that you can pack in your suitcase and use to put your goodies in later. I also like to bring zip lock bags to use for lots of things. You might also want to pack some plastic silver wear and a knife is needed to cut salamis. If you pack it in your big bag that goes in cargo, I'm pretty sure you can take it with you.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 11:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
In France we always buy salamis, ham and cheeses. In Paris there are some very nice large grocery stores.
Bring a nice size foldable bag that you can pack in your suitcase and use to put your goodies in later. I also like to bring zip lock bags to use for lots of things. You might also want to pack some plastic silver wear and a knife is needed to cut salamis. If you pack it in your big bag that goes in cargo, I'm pretty sure you can take it with you.

Apropos the knife, yes, you can take it with you in your checked baggage, NOT in a carry on. However, be aware that if you are planning to take the train through the Chunnel to England the controls to get on the train are as strict as at the airport, but there is no checked baggage. I had a lovely, French, fairly expensive picnic knife confiscated in London a couple of years ago because of that.
Also, plastic flatware is all well and good, but if one is trying to limit plastic in one's life, as I am, a nice set of reusable bamboo ware works just as well, and is sturdier. I always carry a bag of picnic stuff with me when I travel, in the checked baggage. Bamboo ware, a small cutting board, my (new) French knife, paper or cloth napkins, individual wet wipes. They take up very little space, and I enjoy my picnics so much more with the proper equipment.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-25-18, 16:22

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone! I would be going to Switzerland after France. Would I have problems with customs since it’s not an EU member? (I don’t think?). I will then go to Germany after Switzerland as well. I want to get some cheese is France and Switzerland, but not if they’re confiscated crossing EU and non-EU borders.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-25-18, 16:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've crossed from France to Switzerland and they didn't confiscate foods but they have a 1 kg duty-free limit on meat, butter & cream. If you bring more than that they charge taxes on it (but not if it is in your stomach).

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, May-25-18 at 16:56.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-25-18, 20:21

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I agree that you should buy your snacks as you go along on your trip. The countries you mentioned abound in grocery stores, supermarkets, fruit and vegetable stands and specialty shops that sell delicious cold cuts and cheeses. I imagine - though I'm not 100% sure - that if you pack something like a cheese plane/slicer in your suitcase, it won't be confiscated, especially not while you're traveling within the EU.

Last edited by barb712 : Fri, May-25-18 at 20:31.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 00:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1

I second the suggestion of taking a packable extra bag with you, and large baggies are always useful for many things. If you have room you might also consider taking a small insulated bag with you; think "lunch bag" (I take this in my carry on for my snacks on the flight, as I don't eat the airline food). Europe can be hot in the summer, and the hotels rarely (never?) have options for keeping things cold. That means that you can't easily re-freeze a block of blue ice*, so you might leave that at home. But an insulated bag will, at least, keep your newly purchased, and chilled from the store, items cool for awhile. Europeans tend to buy their groceries daily; this is a nice habit to get into while there. I love to shop in other countries; it is relaxing and enjoyable for me to see all the different options, or sometimes just the different presentations, that we don't see in our own countries. Shopping for fresh food every day or two, every country or city, is a fun way to learn about the places you are traveling through**.
Cheeses in France and Switzerland are excellent, and you will enjoy the options available. But don't feel you need to stock up before continuing on your journey to Germany. Germany's cheeses can easily hold their own against the others, and their sausages are wonderful. I am only slightly biased; I lived in Germany for 3 years, where I met and married my husband, LOL

ETA: *That blue ice, in any case, would need to go in your checked baggage, were you to take it, because of the liquid/gel inside; really not worth the hassle

ETA, again: ** My in-laws, especially my mother in law, thought that one of the nicest outings I took her on when she visited us in the States was the fancy supermarket. She wondered at the the vast array of produce and meat, and just the whole experience, which was so different from what she was used to. I feel the same when shopping in other countries - not necessarily the greater array (unlikely: EVERYTHING is bigger and better in America), but the difference. It's not just shopping; it is experiencing how the locals live. Embrace it.

Last edited by Verbena : Sat, May-26-18 at 00:46.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-27-18, 07:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Agree with suggestions to buy once you are there, but I would also pack:

Nuts and pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, dry roasted edamame
Quest bars
Some kind of but bar- trader Joe's has nutty bars with 7 carbs plus 7 fiber, some kind bars are also fairly low (the spices line in particular)
Packets of Justin's almond butter
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: healthline article
Stats: 215/150/130 Female 161
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 76%

Hmmm
Beef Jerky, Kale Chips, and Almonds!