Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
All I can say is over the years, I've recommended Bernstein's book, talked about low carb benefits, weight loss, better health and A1cs under 5 and you know how many of my diabetic friends and acquaintances ever did anything with this info? Zero.
But their doctors are telling them something else, and so is most of our culture.

Quote:
It's a real struggle for me to stay on plan and I'm very highly motivated.
Perhaps because your doctor and most of our culture are against you?

But what plan are you on that is giving you so much difficulty? I know you are T1, and that's different, and on Bernstein, sort of, but isn't it low carb? I noticed earlier that you talked about a complicated plan that required a lot of discipline, maybe someone listening to you would want to avoid that and trust their doctor?

I'm supposed to be T2, but my new doctor couldn't find it when I was just on a fairly casual low carb diet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:06
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
But their doctors are telling them something else, and so is most of our culture.

They don't do the ADA diet either. They basically do nothing except switch from the real thing to Diet Coke. And they take the pills because that is easy.

Quote:
Perhaps because your doctor and most of our culture are against you?

My doctor lets me do what i want to do as I've been doing it for so long with good results. I find low carbing for 3 years very limiting and all meat, all the time, very unappealing. I miss fruit and grains and I lose my appetite and can go days without eating anything if I don't force myself.

Quote:
But what plan are you on that is giving you so much difficulty? I know you are T1, and that's different, and on Bernstein, sort of, but isn't it low carb? I noticed earlier that you talked about a complicated plan that required a lot of discipline, maybe someone listening to you would want to avoid that and trust their doctor?

A type 2 can do Atkins. I don't tell them the part about all the discipline, but once they hear they have to give up things, they don't want to do that. I'm on Bernstein and don't do it exactly the way he advises. I used to pump and I know how to think like a pancreas.

I think low carbing relieves the carb addicts addiction and to some degree, pain, and perhaps even depression. For for the non addict, I think you reach a point where you go "Ugh! I will never eat another piece of chicken as long as I live." We just don't get whatever it is that people find appealing about this WOE. It becomes a chore to simply eat all the grams of this and that I know i need.

At some point, I am going to expand and go more South Beach than VLC. It appeals to my innate sense of what I ike to eat a lot more than all the meat.

Quote:
I'm supposed to be T2, but my new doctor couldn't find it when I was just on a fairly casual low carb diet.

It appears that this WOE suits you well.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:20
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
They don't do the ADA diet either.
Well yeah, that's the point. They can't do what the ADA (through their doctor) tells them to, because they get fat, have poor control and suffer cravings. But they also can't do what you tell them because you are not the authority that their Doctor/culture is to them. But if their doctor agreed with you, and our culture didn't bombard them with conflicting and well targeted hypno-commercials, then maybe there would be a little more compliance.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Cure is like curing cancer. It is gone and won't return if it is cured.
Then one can only be considered cured after death because one can never know if it will come back.

I've had normal GTTs somewhere between 7 and 9 years -- I'd have to check. Type II is diagnosed by GTT. A person with a normal GTT does not have Type II diabetes. *Any* person with a normal GTT may have one in the future that is abnormal. Does that mean that someone who eventually does have an abnormal result was always a Type II diabetic?

Cancer is a bit different, mostly because of the fact that 10 or 20 or 100 or 200 cancer cells can survive and not be found by any tests, which ultimately cause a recurrence. It's not like one can have 10 or 20 diabetes cells hanging out to multiply and manifest.

I think the once a Type II always a Type II springs from the same source as fat is bad, carbs are good -- everyone knows it's true.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:42
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Well yeah, that's the point. They can't do what the ADA (through their doctor) tells them to, because they get fat, have poor control and suffer cravings. But they also can't do what you tell them because you are not the authority that their Doctor/culture is to them. But if their doctor agreed with you, and our culture didn't bombard them with conflicting and well targeted hypno-commercials, then maybe there would be a little more compliance.

Most of them are fat and eat Pizza Hut and KFC and they don't care. Type 2 is a middle-age disease and often an asymptomatic disease. I know one woman I can't even convince to give up sugared soda because she doesn't like the way the artificial sweetened kind tastes. They're fat and happy, the children are grown, they're settled, and they won't change until they suffer some complication. That's what I've found from talking to people for years about diabetes.

They also don't want to be different from their friends and family. It's going to take a larger societal change to change eating habits, even when faced with medical disapproval. Baby steps first.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 21:49

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
I've had normal GTTs somewhere between 7 and 9 years -- I'd have to check. Type II is diagnosed by GTT. A person with a normal GTT does not have Type II diabetes. *Any* person with a normal GTT may have one in the future that is abnormal. Does that mean that someone who eventually does have an abnormal result was always a Type II diabetic?

I think the once a Type II always a Type II springs from the same source as fat is bad, carbs are good -- everyone knows it's true.

A cyclical question I've been wondering about. I've never undergone a GTT. Not sure I ever will - especially if I have to carb-up for 3-4 days before the test for it to be accurate. But also - because I believe LC eating can reverse the symptoms and (at least some of) the damage caused by HC eating/diabetes - I don't want to risk having it be positive and then be stuck with that in my medical record and possibly affect future health insurance decisions. Maybe I'll change my mind if I ever forgo LC eating permanently and I start showing symptoms that don't go away with a change in WOE. But I'm not a person to take meds. Ok I'm rambling. My point was: is a person diagnosed with Type 2 still Type 2 if a future GTT comes back 'normal'? I don't know that we'll ever get an accurate answer.

Quote:
Type 2 is a middle-age disease and often an asymptomatic disease.

Haven't I seen 'reports' (I use the term loosely given the tendencies of our media) that Type 2 is showing up in younger and younger people? I also wonder, remember I've only just become interested in the topic of diabetes, if it really is asymptomatic or if the symptoms are so mild that people don't realize it's a symptom (i.e., a slow healing bruise or cut).

*shrugs* just my thoughts ...