Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: Diet Study
Stats: 286/219/186 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Some Simple Thoughts....

One....you know what? The LC diet works for a lot of people....there are many success stories on here.....for some it doesn't work...and there are a variety of reasons for that...but I believe that if you stick to it....it will work....but it is a life-style change. If you stay on it till you get to your ideal weight...then go back to your old habits...what do you think is going to happen.

Two....no matter what diet you are on...if you are overweight...as I assume that many of us are (or why would we be here)...you have to exercise to have successful, weight loss. Get your body moving. It's key.

Third...and last....Why are there people that come to this site and try and bash the life-style people are living? It's not an UNHEALTHY diet. It works for many....why do others care if people are LC, loving it and doing well? If that isn't the choice you make...what is the point in coming to a LC forum and telling people how stupid they are?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 17:45
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ80
One....you know what? The LC diet works for a lot of people....there are many success stories on here.....for some it doesn't work...and there are a variety of reasons for that...but I believe that if you stick to it....it will work....but it is a life-style change. If you stay on it till you get to your ideal weight...then go back to your old habits...what do you think is going to happen.

I agree! I am one of the members here who thinks that lc is the ideal diet for everyone (generally speaking, of course--I am sure there are probably disorders that would prevent a high-fat diet from being feasible). I think the only reasons for failure are noncompliance or the consumption of allergens such as wheat gluten that are allowed on most of the plans.

Quote:
Two....no matter what diet you are on...if you are overweight...as I assume that many of us are (or why would we be here)...you have to exercise to have successful, weight loss. Get your body moving. It's key.

If you mean routine exercise outside of normal work or household activity, I think you are wrong. I have very rarely engaged in exercise outside of my job. Weight loss is achieved by calorie deficit whether that deficit is caused by exercise, decrease in caloric intake, and/or the metabolic advantage afforded by the burning of ketones in a high-fat diet.

Quote:
Third...and last....Why are there people that come to this site and try and bash the life-style people are living? It's not an UNHEALTHY diet. It works for many....why do others care if people are LC, loving it and doing well? If that isn't the choice you make...what is the point in coming to a LC forum and telling people how stupid they are?

In a way I hate to see naysayers come on the site bashing us too. However, I think most of them are genuinely convinced that we are some evil cult following the demonic high-fat teachings of the evil Dr. Atkins Personally, I welcome their debate; since their arguments have no merit, they are easy to send home crying to their jelly-smeared white bread, unbuttered baked potatoes, and fat-free ice cream
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 18:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Personally, I welcome their debate; since their arguments have no merit

Indeed! Debate is healthy and welcome as long as it's done within the boundaries of the forum guidelines.
Debate also serves another purpose; it allows exploration of an idea or theory from all sides and tends to bring forth some very informative information.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 210/210/185 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree about debates. They can be very fruitful. But sometimes in forums where there are many people all trying to be part of the debate it can get side-tracked easily and turn into more of a stubborn war than something fruitful. People just have to be respectful and think before they speak and everything will be great. One of the weird things is that people shouldn't always post in a debate. Sometiems its better to wait and listen rather than chime in everytime you want to say something.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 17:43

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

1. The more frequently one resorts to LC for weight control the more likely the end result will become a life-style of eating.

2. The jury is still out regarding exercise which is probably useful only for expending the energy of the young. Aging, in its wake, brings a reduction in energy and a disinclination towards unnecessary activity. Exercise in moderation is beneficial.

3. Some of those transitional contributers may have an emotional problem like social malajustment. Others may simply be 'sick' and need to rebel against anyone who is otherwise stable or independently-minded. Seldom do those types react through arrogance; mostly it is from ignorance. They are attention-seeking and are best ignored.