Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 03:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Default Need more calories.... Help

i really need some suggestions. i have been low carbing 6 months and i have lost 3 stone so far (yey!). But i am going quite slow now and i still have a big journey ahead of me.

I have cut out many things that usually cause stalls; limit my cheese, rarely eat nuts, rarely have cream, drink at least 3lts of water per day. I swim at least once a week, sometimes 2.

Despite this i am losing about a pound a week (I know a pound is a pound and its better than putting a pound on, and yes i know that with excercise i am adding lean muscle tissue).

Right from the beginning i have not really been counting my calories too closely, just concerntrating on keeping my carbs to around 20 per day.

My usual daily food consists of an omlette at lunch and a big dinner of loads of meat (e.g 3 chicken thighs with the skin on) and too large portions of low carb vegs (cabbage, cauliflower etc).

I have read in lots of places that ideally i should be eating ten times my weight in calories to stop my body going into starvation mode. So I am looking to get my calories up to 2600 a day. The problem is:

HOW DO I EAT THAT MANY CALORIES?

I do add butter on my vegs, i do have as much mayo as i want, i do eat the fat on the meat. I do fry things. But despite this i guess i am only clocking up 1700 calories a day at best.

I really don't want to start eating too much cheese & cream because they caused me to stall before.

I really need help!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, juicijacki --

Unless I missed something, you're only eating two meals -- the omelette and the hunk of meat and veg. Snacks? Macadamia nuts? Salami, or other cold meats?

I've noticed, reading through journals, that several people have switched to a six meal pattern -- either 5 or 6 small meals, almost big snacks, or splitting breakfast, lunch and dinner into two meals each. This keeps the blood sugar levels steady, feeds the muscles, and spreads the carbs out over the day.

Post a few menus, too, with quantities, and then we can take a better look.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 05:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the response -

I do occasionally snack, only when i really get the munchies. I usually have offcuts of meat, maybe Tuna mayo, prawn cocktail or celery with different dips.

I rarely feel the need to snack. I work (like many of us!) and by the time i get home and then cook I am eating at around 7pm, so im still full from dinner when i go to bed.

In the daytime I am so busy i do not need to snack - in all honesty i have to force myelf to eat lunch because I am still not hungry or I usually forget.

I try to steer away from snacking on cheeses or nuts (even though i love them!) because i went through a 3 weeks stall and i did eat a lot of them during this period. But as we all know anything could have caused the stall on this WOL.

I do drink drink various amounts of decaf diet coke (sometimes none at all, sometimes half a bottle in a day. If i have a decaf coffee I use Canderal (aspartasme sweetner). Maybe these small amounts of aspartasme are causing the slowdown?

I have not had any macadamia nuts because they can be a little expensive here in the UK and also i experienced that slowdown before (they were Almonds & peanuts before though). If i remember rightly they are 90% fat aren't they?

I also forget to mention in the previous post that even though I have lost 3 stone i only invested in some ketostix at the weekend and was suprised to see that at best I am at slight pink (0.5). Would this be darker if i ate more fat?

I am not adverse to trying new things (although 6 large snacks a day will be hard!) so any suggestions would be good.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 08:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There is nothing wrong with one pound a week. All weight loss seems to eventually slow down after a while. Even stalling and plateauing is common. THink about what's happening to your body. It's going through big changes and needs to take time to adjust.

The easiest way to eat more fat is to sip on flax seed oil or a good extra virgin olive oil. They have 120 calories per tablespoon. It maybe yucky at first, but if you find an oil that you really enjoy, it will be easier.

I wouldn't do anything though yet. You're doing just fine, great actually! But, like alto said, try and space your meals out so you are eating smaller portions more frequently. Keep cooked meat around to have for breakfast on the go.

Karen