Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/318/180
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Is this Slow??

Ok so I went to the doctor's scale and weighed myself.. and was disappointed

*cry*

Start of Diet: 340lbs
2 months into diet: 324lbs

I've only lost 16 pounds in 2 months... is that considered slow loss? Is that average?? I guess I thought it was more than that.. I've been on this thing 2 months.. I thought I have lost more than that.. maybe I've just lost more inches than pounds.....

Can I get some encouragement please? I feel very disappointed and bummed out

No, I'm not going to cheat or anything I just need a hug and stuff... I guess I was hoping it would be *at least* 20 lbs lost.. I sure feel like I've lost that much

Thanks everyone

*mope*

Brianna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Brianna, lets do a little math You want to lose 160 lbs, you've lost 16 lbs, it took you 2 months. That's 8 lbs a month, and 2 lbs a week. Two lbs a week is a steady safe rate of fat loss. Sure you could lose 3 or 4 a week - but it's going to be more than just fat. Losing lean muscle isnt somewhere you want to go - you want to keep that and you want to get more of it.

2 lbs a week is great! It is most definitely not slow. Without even taking previous dieting history, possible medical conditions or level of exercise into consideration you are losing at the top end of a range of what is safe and maintainable for women to lose! There are people who lose 2 lbs a MONTH!

Cheer up - think of where you'll be 2 months from now. And think of this as well - where would you be today, right this minute, if you hadnt found LC and lost 16 lbs? Next week, Next month, next year are coming - whether we follow our WOL or not. How you face the future will make a difference - you can make that difference!

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:00

Plan: My own LC plan
Stats: 322/290/200 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking Hello Brianna!

Don't put so much pressure your spirit with worry.

"Don't worry, be happy"

Think about what you have been eating and double check to see if there are too many carbs in the meals you are chosing. Those hidden carbs are a real pain if you are paying attention.

Just hang in there things will pick up as you figure out what your doing or not doing. Take care and good luck.

Regards, Ela
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 00:02

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

One few key questions to ask yourself is this:

Are you happier today at 324# than you were two months ago at 340#?

Will you be happier two months from now at, say, 312# than you would be back at 340#?

A year from now, will you be happer at 340# or at 220#?

Consider the following proposition carefully.

A genie offers you two choices:

1) You can lose weight at a steady rate of 0.5# per week until you reach goal with a 90% chance that you will make it.

2) You can lose weight at a steady rate of 5# per week until you reach goal with a 90% change that you will NOT make it.

In either case, there's no going back and chosing the other. You get one pick and if it doesn't work you are stuck forever at your current weight.

Which would you choose?

Remember, in either case you have a lot more of your life beyond however long it will take to reach goal.

Hang in there and Keep the Faith!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 01:43

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/249/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
I've only lost 16 pounds in 2 months

I'm a similar case...I dropped 18 pounds in two months (am *averaging* about 2 to 3 pounds gone a week). Don't be discouraged...this rate of loss certainly isn't the fastest ever recorded, but it isn't the slowest by a long measure, and, after all, it *is* coming off which is the important thing! You have to remember that every person's metabolism works differently & that it serves no good purpose to compare your rate of weight loss to anyone else's (especially to the menfolk, since women often lose weight slower than men since our bodies like to hold on to fat & water, especially at certain times each month).

Keep plugging away! Patience is your greatest ally in this battle.

-- Nicky
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 04:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Talking You are doing fantastic, silly girl!

You've lost 10% of your weight!

10% !!!!!!!

You've done so well!!!
It just takes time, dear!

WELL DONE!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 437/392/360
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default You're Doing Great !!

Brianna,
You are doing Great !! 2lbs a week is really admirable. Sure some people lose more but others lose less than that. Everyone's metabolism is different and your body is adjusting to a new and healthier lifestyle. Keep doing what you are doing. I sometimes feel that I am not losing as fast as I would like - only because I realize that I have soooo much to lose.. But is IS coming off at a rate os 2-3 lbs a week for me so Im happy as long as that continues..

Good luck, we're looking forward to hearing more success stories from you ..
Craig
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you everyone for posting.. I appreciate your kind words and support! Yes.. I do have a lot to lose and it's not going to happen overnight, I guess I've just been working so hard for 2 months, it seems like 16lbs is such a small amount compared to the effort I put into it. Then I thought of it this way, someone once put it like this "When you're at the grocery store, pick up a 10lb bag of potatoes, feel how heavy it is, that is how much you've lost (x1.5 for me, x5 for others etc)" But folks... it's coming off, and I know that's good, I just have to keep up the good work, I also did some more math. At this rate I will lose basically 100lbs in a year! I think it's worth it wayyyyy worth it. I hope my words may help others too who may feel like they are loosing slow or feel discouraged, I think everyone does at some time.

*big group hug*

I know we can do it

Keep the faith (that goes for everyone including me)

Brianna
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:21

BF:

Brianna - Now it sounds like you are really beginning to put things into a good, healthy perspective. That is GREAT! You will still be haunted by the "get there now" urges - we all are - but you are starting to look at things in such a way that you can shake of those despairaging thoughts more easily.

Focus on the accomplishment - you've lost 16 pounds. Period. Don't worry about whether it took you a week, a month or a year. You've lost 16 pounds! You are a sack and a half of potatoes lighter!

Plus, as others have said, your rate of loss is about the optimal compromise between being fast and being healthy. Rejoice in that. You may not be doing it quick (as quick as some, anyway) - but you are doing it right!

Keep the Faith!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/240/190
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Hang in there!

Brianna,

Congratulations! You are moving it the right direction, and at the right speed. You are providing your body with what it needs to stay healthy, and it is getting rid of the rest!

I sincerely recommend you take wbahn's advice and start using a tape measure every week. Some weeks you will lose inches, some weeks pounds, and some weeks both. Measure all your key areas( neck, chest, stomach, hips, thighs, wrists, forearms and calfs). write them somewhere or post them in your journal. This way, when you are looking for a little encouragement, you can look to the numbers. Weight is not everything! Inches count too. The sooner you start this documentation, the sooner you will be able to see how much progress you have made. If you have always bought loose fitting clothes(and who among us has not), you may not see it when they are an inch or two looser. BUT, the tape measure does not lie.
I was surprised that I only lost 4 pounds last week, but I was encouraged to see my waist go down by 2 inches, my thighs by 2, etc. That is just as good!!!!
like everyone else says 2 pounds a week is over a hundred pounds a year!!!! WAHOOO . Who could possibly be unhappy with progress like that!! Also, if you have started working out at all, muscle is Much much much more dense than fat(therefore HEAVIER). So, while your weight may go up a bit.. you are actually thinner..HOORAY. So buy a tape, start a journal and watch those inches go.... Keep it up and be well!!!!! Jas
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 09:03

Plan: calp
Stats: 342/295/190
BF:
Progress: 31%

2 bls a week is a good healthy loss. WAY TO GO!!
My loss is averages 5# per month. I think that it took years to get here so I cann't expect to back up all my weight in a few months of even a single year.Any weight loss id healthy, and a slower rate usually stays off because you have adjusted your life and not gone on a crash diet that you cannot maintain. Once again I think 2 lbs and week is great and go have a big glass of water to congratulate yourself!!go have a big glass of water to congratulate yourself!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 09:54

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Brianna,
We all can relate to the feeling of thinking we've lost more. I thought I had surely lost 20 lbs. after a month and a half of low carbing at the beginning. My clothes were alot looser and I felt so much lighter. When I had gone to the doctor, it was only a 7 lb. loss. I too was disappointed. But I kept plugging away because I knew if I hadn't been low carbing it would have been 7 lbs. more rather than less. This is the first time I've been able to lose weight without starving. So...keep plugging away. The slower the loss, the more time your skin has to catch up. I ditto the thought of using your tape measurer. It will let you know the inches that are slipping off. And the rest of the world doesn't look at the numbers on the scale. They notice the inches lost. Victoria
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone for replying I *really* appreciate it

I've been thinking about it, and 2lbs a week really is a safe weight loss rate. So I should quit moping and keep up the good work!

I told my mom how much I had lost and she said that was good! So why should I mope over 16lbs gone??? they are gone!

Thanks again everyone *big group hug* for your support.. I'm never ceased to be amazed by the amount of love and support that goes on in this forum each day.

Much love

Brianna
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 01:13

BF:

!!!WAY TO GO!!!

Keep it up!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 22:05

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Think of..... Butter??!!

One thing that I like to think about when in my "past life" I would loose a pound here or there is Oprah.

Do you remember when she came out on stage after she lost all that weight with a wagon full of butter that was to represent the amount of weight that she had lost??

Well, I relate mentally 1lb of fat lost to 1lb of butter, its alot when you think that you are getting rid of "2!!!" of those a week, thats a lot when you put it into that perspective!

I know that you are at a good emotional place with your loss right now, but when I get dissapointed at a stall or only loosing 1/2 a lb in a week, I think of that analogy and it cheers me up!

Take care!