Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins New Revolution
Stats: 286/223/145
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default I'm afraid

I'm afraid that this is going to stop working. Even though I see all the sucess stories. It's kind of like all those commercials you see for any diet. There are always sucesses. The person on Jenny craig or richard Simmons or slim fast that lost all their weight. ANd you think "wow look at them that could be me" And then you try and it's never you. I want it to be me. I don't want to stop losing . But it's been 4 weeks since I've lost. I know people say they have been stalled for months and then continue finally to lose. But I know now I've used the stall to excuse in my mind two slip ups these past 2 days. Now I feel like a whiner on top of it. Does anyone else have these doubts? I don't want to quit and go back up the pounds that I lost. I'm tired of the cycle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 11:58
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi

You are feeling no different than most of us.
After your body loses a large amount of weight, it needs to settle, and it does this through a stall. Think of it as an adjustment time. You aren't doing anything wrong. Usually after such a stall you lose alot of weight again. Stops and starts.

Another thing is look for hidden carbs in your diet:
Such as in Cream, Cheese, Cream Cheese, Nuts - etc.

Some people do stall from too much artifical sweetner.. I'm one of those.

Oh, are you drinking at least 3 liters of water? This helps when we hold water and it won't let go.

I hope this helps. There is more info under the stall thread.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Change Something

I stalled for several months. But the diet had become such a habit that I stuck to it without really worrying about it. Finally something shifted. It could be because I substituted pork scratchings for nuts when I felt like a snack.

It might have been just the slight change in what I was eating on a regular basis or it could be as Lessara put it - my body needed the time to adjust.

Note that the doubts are there but keep off the carbs! And it will be you that's lost all that weight.

Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: Own LC Plan
Stats: 345/260/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Keeping a variety to your meals is key. I know I stall for a long time whenever I stick to eating the same things everyday. I hate to cook and it just gets too easy for me to eat the same things every day. I am not a person who likes a lot of variety to my food anyway so it looked like a solution to my problem untill I stalled and didn't lose weight for over a month. I tried something diffrent for a week and started back losing and has been every since. Lately I have gone back to my rut and I haven't lost weight now in about 2 weeks. Time to spice it up a bit I guess.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 13:53
Registered Member

Stats: 388/287/200
BF:
Progress: 54%

Stalls can be very decouraging, however if you keep your focus, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

My last stall began at Christmas, and lasted until this week. THREE MONTHS! It was pretty frustrating, but it helped to keep the following in mind...

1. I wasn't losing, but I wasn't gaining either!

2. I had dropped a large amount of weight, and it only makes sense that there are going to be times when I lose quickly, lose slowly, or stall. Keep faithful to the LC WOE, and the overall trend will be downward. (Think of the stock market, although it looks bad at this moment in time, over the past 100 years, it has performed quite well!)

3. When you get discouraged, read the book! I follow Atkin's. It is loaded with stories about people who have done it. See what they did. Examine what you're doing. Try different approaches. Dale Carnigie couldn't do a better job of providing motivation.

4. Visit this board often. As I write this, there are 130 people on-line on this board. All of these people are working toward the same goal- to be healthier. The knowlege base these people have is awesome. Some folks will give you facts, some will give you advise, and some will give you emotional support. It is truly an amazing resource.

Take care,
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 16:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Did you take beginning measurements when you started this WOE?

I haven't budged on the scales but I have lost 6 1/4" in 2 months. You either show it in the scales or the measuring tape, but not both at once.

If you haven't measured, do so and keep a log of that.

Also if you are feeling better, have more energy and sleeping better that is reason enough to keep on.

Do you journal your meals? That could be helpful others to look at and give you advice.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 19:14

Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default great thread!

I am still amazed at how helpful everyone seems to be in this forum. This is my first time in the TDC forum, but you all sound like great people

There is just so much info here. It helps to see what everyone has gone or is going through. Looks like we all go through something similar.

I don't have any suggestions, but I sure do love you guys!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins New Revolution
Stats: 286/223/145
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default THANKS EVERYONE

WOW! THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I FELT A LITTLE BETTER AFTER POSTING JUST BY EXPRESSING MY FEARS. NOW I FEEL BETTER AND SUPPORTED TOO. I'M GOING TO KEEP THE FAITH IN THIS WOL. I KNOW THAT TIME PASSES QUICKLY AND EVEN THOUGH THIS SEEMS LIKE A LONG STALL, IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS IT IS NOT. THANKS AGAIN DINA
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 22:57

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default breaking a stall

Hi!

I have been in stalls before...I have to admit not longer than a month but here is what I did. I added more fat! I'm not sure what your menus are like but I do know that on this diet there are times when we don't eat enough, simply b/c what we do eat can be so satisfying and we aren't having those cravings like we used to. I added more calories and more fat and I broke right out of my stall. Now I try to add safer fats (I still get a little worried when I'm eating too much bacon) like avocados and olives.

Another thing is that in Dr. Atkin's book he has a few suggestions for breaking stalls. Like the fat fast. If you don't have the book you should definitely get it but if you are interested and don't have the book yet I will be glad to look up the specifics for you.

Let me know!

peace,
Tesia