Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 21:48

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Mayonnaise Fail!

I've been making mayonnaise for 50 years, on and off, ever since my mother starting letting me be the family cook. I have never had a fail/separated mayo. I started using a blender recipe, and about 15 years ago moved on (or, maybe, back) to using a whisk. 2 reasons: i had read that olive oil, which I prefer, sometimes turns bitter with the high intensity beating in a blender (I had never had this problem, but wanted to avoid it), and a dear friend had moved back to the area after living for a long while in France, and convinced me that it wasn't that hard. I didn't make mayo often, only special occasions, until I realized the awful ingredients in even organic commercial mayo. The one product that meets my standards for quality doesn't come up to my standards for taste (or price). So I don't use mayo often, but when I do it is homemade. I finally decided to try the ubiquitous you tube recipe with a stick blender, and avocado oil (see olive oil caveat above). 10 times faster. Maybe 20, as it takes me about 20 minutes to whisk everything together. But from the outset I could see that it wouldn't hold together. Today I went back to my Luddite ways, and whisked together another egg yolk, a bit of Dijon mustard, and dribbled the failed mayo in, whisking madly all the way. Success! But I'll save the stick blender for soups in future.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 22:02

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm with you Verbena, I have not been able to make mayo with a stick blender. I've tried a few times and it just don't work for me. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but the old whisk method never fails me and I get a workout

#3   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 23:59

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Exactly! A good workout! Now, if only I could become ambidextrous enough to equalize the workout ... oh well, I doubt that my on again/off again mayo making will build up my muscles too much on the one side.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 07:22

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I force myself to use my left hand. It gets better with practice. It seems that holding the bowl is as important as the whisking hand, who would have tunk
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 10:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Wow, I never had any success with mayo until I got a stick blender, but with the stick blender I got perfect mayo every time. However, lately, I've just been going with the avocado oil mayo from Costco.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 12:40
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I've always made my homemade mayo in my food processor. I drizzle the oil in with my left hand in a steady, thin stream and intermittently pulse the machine with my right hand. I've only had mayo "break" two times in some 20+ years of doing it this way. Those batches became a lovely salad dressing instead.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 13:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Mayo is hit or miss for me in the cuisinart machine. aka food processor. Consistency is hit or miss for me. But always tastes homemade.